Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Wilson

Re: Reds sign Wilson

So, what are the odds that ten minutes after he actually signs the contract Wilson's bionic elbow will explode, and having already been cut on numerous times will not be covered by insurance thus sticking the club with an 8 million dollar rubberband?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    My guess is no. Why they placed such a premium on good citizenship and good work ethic I don't know.
    This is a continual pattern by John Allen though. He is far easier to convince to bring someone back than to bring someone new in.

Look at how easy it was for him to approve Graves, Haynes, Casey.. Yet there wasn't 1.5 million for Penny.

I'm convinced part of Allen's "marketing plan" is to get the fans to like people like Casey, Wilson, etc and then keep them around. He thinks that's more effective than using the same money to get a pitcher 15% better than Wilson for example.

But DanO doesn't get off free either. It's his job to try and convince the idiots upstairs what to do to win ballgames.

If they were willing to give Wilson 4.1 million/year, why not just resign him last summer? They ended up meeting in the middle anyways.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Yes, that is what I'm saying. The money used to resign Wilson (at a premium) would have been much better spent on legitimately upgrading the starting pitching and/or signing Dunn to an extension. Hell, even if they couldn't have made a trade for a good pitcher or signed a Clement/Perez/Pavano/etc., I'd prefer the money be spent on our draft budget, hiring minor league instructors from an organization with a track record for developing pitching, or premium scouts. Instead, the Reds select the status quo: keeping Paul Wilson as our 'ace'. Joy.

Quote Originally Posted by LvJ
    Are you saying we shouldn't have signed Wilson at all? Now, if we could sign a guy like Clement if we didn't sign Wilson at all, then I would agree. My point was, signing Wilson for .. what? 2 Million cheaper? 2.5 Cheaper? That isn't going to affect signing anyone important, atleast not in my opinion. I'm sure if a top of the line guy said I want 2.5 more, they would go for it. But again, it comes back to should he have signed Wilson at all? Could we compete with the big teams for a better option?

If this means there is a lot of this magical flex floating around and this is the the start of good things to come, I can live with it.

If Bland Dan just used up all the flex on this signing, then I am one unhappy girl.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    $8.2 million minimum over two years. $3.6 in 2005, $3.7 in 2006, and a 2007 club option of (up to pending escalators) $5.15 or a $850k buyout.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...mlb&id=1935163

NOW what do you think?
    Eerily similar to the 2 year deal the Reds inked with Jimmy Haynes on the heels of his fluke-ish lottery season.

I guess my biggest question is why the Reds dumped Bowden & Boone, yet still remain under the same mindset that bogged them down under that regime.

Haynes & Wilson are 2 pitchers who look like $3.5MM pitchers only when paraded into a room with the other 4 members of the Reds starting rotation.

We aspire to mediocrity. Get your seasons tickets now!

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Yes, that is what I'm saying. The money used to resign Wilson (at a premium) would have been much better spent on legitimately upgrading the starting pitching and/or signing Dunn to an extension. Hell, even if they couldn't have made a trade for a good pitcher or signed a Clement/Perez/Pavano/etc., I'd prefer the money be spent on our draft budget, hiring minor league instructors from an organization with a track record for developing pitching, or premium scouts. Instead, the Reds select the status quo: keeping Paul Wilson as our 'ace'. Joy.
    Easy Boss, you are welcome to be frustrated, but it is not even close to the last day of the offseason. Come Dec 7th we will all know how committed the Reds are to bringing in better talent; O'Brien is not gonna lose a draft pick to sign someone now he could get in a little over a week.

If Wilson was to be signed, he had to be signed fast, so that arbitration could be avoided. Now its time for all of us to wait and see, and not just assume that this is it. We all seem to forget at times this is O'Brien's second offseason, and possibly even the first in which he is genuinely concerned with improving the big club. I am not content with just a Wilson signing, but I am happy it is done, and I hope the team does in fact get better by other factors than mere subtraction of "bad" players.

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    Listen, I completely understand and agree. But ultimately, it all comes back to the main guys, when they are surely capable of spending more money on the Reds, they refuse to do so. It just really hurts inside, knowing we are very, very much able to compete by spending a few more pennies (atleast to them) they simply give the cold shoulder. Also, I'm one who wanted to keep Wilson around, but also go after Perez or Clement or Pavano. DanO may have made the wrong choice, but I'll wait and see on that. Atleast until the off season is over.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    This is a continual pattern by John Allen though. He is far easier to convince to bring someone back than to bring someone new in.

Look at how easy it was for him to approve Graves, Haynes, Casey.. Yet there wasn't 1.5 million for Penny.

I'm convinced part of Allen's "marketing plan" is to get the fans to like people like Casey, Wilson, etc and then keep them around. He thinks that's more effective than using the same money to get a pitcher 15% better than Wilson for example.
    :agreed:

:slap:

I really, really, really HATE this deal.

I think I'm gonna need to take a little break from all of this for awhile.

This front office isn't cheap.

They're simply clueless.

3.5 Mil PLUS for Paul freaking Wilson.

I can just see the quote now "We've really taken a good step towards trying to remain competitive. With our core of solid yong pitchers, Paul Wilson will fit right in. He'll lead by example and solid work ethic..."

Same exact ballclub we saw last year sans Barry Larkin, and maybe a new bullpen arm or two.

Yee Haw.

Why do we do this to ourselves?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

. Also, I'm one who wanted to keep Wilson around, but also go after Perez or Clement or Pavano.

The problem is that keeping Wilson makes it that much tougher to pick up any of those three. Having that extra 4.1 million a year would go a long ways towards picking one of them up.

Porkchop Sandwiches

DanO may have made the wrong choice, but I'll wait and see on that. Atleast until the off season is over.
    :gac:

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    Eerily similar to the 2 year deal the Reds inked with Jimmy Haynes on the heels of his fluke-ish lottery season.

I guess my biggest question is why the Reds dumped Bowden & Boone, yet still remain under the same mindset that bogged them down under that regime.

Haynes & Wilson are 2 pitchers who look like $3.5MM pitchers only when paraded into a room with the other 4 members of the Reds starting rotation.

We aspire to mediocrity. Get your seasons tickets now!
    Great post!
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I don't mind seeing Wilson back at all. I don't think $3+ million a year is that much to pay him. I don't think signing one player to a contract like his automatically precludes the Reds from trying to sign another pitcher. (But then again, I never thought the Reds would sign a top FA pitcher this year anyway.)

So many times it's said on here that cheap, good FA pitchers can be had. (Such as the example of the Cardinals' rotation this past year.) Based on the last couple Reds' seasons, it's either 1. not very true, or 2. the Reds don't know how to find said pitchers. I suspect the latter. Maybe that will change for the Reds, but I'm not really counting on it. And half the time I think the examples of cheap, good FA pitchers come after the fact. Who knew before last season that Carpenter would win 15 games?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    The problem is that keeping Wilson makes it that much tougher to pick up any of those three. Having that extra 4.1 million a year would go a long ways towards picking one of them up.
    Why (and I ask this seriously) would any of those guys want to hook up with the Reds at this point and time? They're rebuilding the left side of their infield, they don't have a large budget, they play in a division with 3 teams with bigger payrolls and 2 of them have really good starters.

Maybe someday, but the current state of the Reds (not to mention their history with Type A FA's) screams that this is all wishful thinking.

Grandma said, "If wishes were horses we'd all be riding now."

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Why (and I ask this seriously) would any of those guys want to hook up with the Reds at this point and time? They're rebuilding the left side of their infield, they don't have a large budget, they play in a division with 3 teams with bigger payrolls and 2 of them have really good starters.

"
    I'm hoping the pictures Creek has of all these guys will be a deciding factor!

Turn Off Ads?