Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Wilson

Re: Reds and Wilson may be close to a deal

The person that said in another thread that "you can't keep bringing the same players back and expect different results" was dead on the money. I like bringing Paul back. Every year removed from his arm surgery might bring him closer to being the horse he was projected to be as a Metropolitan phenom. But, this is the absolutel LEAST the front office could do this winter to start turning this thing around.

I am going to keep beating the drum, and I am sincerely sorry to those who are tired of hearing it... this franchise is rolling in cash. Ownership is just not happy if their profit margin doesn't increase by a certain percentage every year. They can afford to up the payroll signifigantly, to include those two frontline pitchers the Reds desperately need IN ADDITION to Wilson. They can do this, and they simply won't. Don't ask me to prove it, because I obviously cannot. But, we are fools to accept their cries of poverty, goals of being "competitive" and the constant stream of crap from this collection of buttoned down business geeks who care nothing of winning and play us for suckers year in and year out.

The Reds are one of the greatest franchises in the history of the game, and ownership is treating it like Colorodo Springs of the International League. I am sick and tired of mediocrity and contentment with mediocrity. I used to the be most positive poster on Redszone, but have been turned into a grumpy old man by these grumpy old men.

Start with Wilson, fine. But, there had better be more to come.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Enquirer has the story up now:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...SPT04/41130003

Reds sign Wilson

Tuesday, November 30, 2004
    Reds sign Wilson to 2-year deal

By John Fay
    Enquirer reporter

The Reds made their first big move of the offseason today when they reached terms with Paul Wilson on a 2-year contract with a club option for 2007.

Wilson was the only one of their three free agents that the Reds attempted to sign. The signing is key because it gives the club a veteran to anchor the young starting rotation.

Wilson, the 31-year-old right-hander, went 11-6 with a 4.36 ERA for the Reds last season. He led the staff in starts (29), qualitity starts (16) and innings pitched (183 2/3).

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Wilson has averaged 29 starts and 181.1 innings pitched over the last 3 seasons.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala
    Start with Wilson, fine. But, there had better be more to come.
    You mean like Woody Williams?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Hopefully Wilson turns into Woody Williams over the next two years, a mediocre pitcher that enjoyed his best success in his thirties.

Re: Reds sign Wilson

Well, the good news is that this might keep Robertson out of the opening day rotation...

The bad news is that this might be as good as it gets. I find it hard to believe that DanO has much payflex left. My guess is we get a sub million dollar reliever or two, and DanO sleeps the rest of the winter. If DanO does have 5-10 million in payflex left, this signing is a crime, because with 8.5-13.5 million in payflex (add Wilson's money back in), we could get the ace we really need.

I'm kind of surprised that Wilson caved in to the Reds negotiation tactics though. He must've really wanted to come back. At least I figure there'd be a sucker out there to give him the 2 year 9 million he was asking for.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

$8.2 million minimum over two years. $3.6 in 2005, $3.7 in 2006, and a 2007 club option of (up to pending escalators) $5.15 or a $850k buyout.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...mlb&id=1935163

NOW what do you think?

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

So it's more than Lidle, but way less than, say, Kris Benson, who Wilson out-VORPed in 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    $8.2 million minimum over two years. $3.6 in 2005, $3.7 in 2006, and a 2007 club option of (up to pending escalators) $5.15 or a $850k buyout.

NOW what do you think?

:slap:
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

$8.2 million minimum over two years.
    So it looks like they did end up "meeting in the middle".
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Sure, they should take a look at Williams.... Jaret Wright... Matt Morris... What about Radke or Pavano? Anybody on the market. Why not? If you can't sign an impact pitcher, so be it. That is the bed the Reds have made for themselves, almost universally acknowledged as an undesirable option for players. But, this Wilson signing cannot be "it". They are pinching pennies and people have started to give them a free ride. You tell a lie often enough and it becomes the truth. I am not a proponent of spending money foolishly, but you must take a degree of wisdom from our baseball people for granted.

Look at what the Cardinals did with their staff last year. Not a great staff by any means, but good enough to get them to the World series. How much did Suppan, Marquis and Carpenter cost them? It can be done.

NOW what do you think?
    that's too much money.

TMBS, i have a hard time believing that many pitchers would want to come to the Reds, as bad as they've been the last few years. so while I agree with M2 that the money would probably be best spent elsewhere, that money might just have been left in the bank when the reds failed to convince a good pitcher to come to cincy.

the reds are going to have to trade for a good starter, if they want one.
    School's out. What did you expect?

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire...=mlb&id=1935163

NOW what do you think?
    I think the club just made it's last free agent signing of the winter. :thumbdown
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

NOW what do you think?
    Wait a second, got to use the bucket again.

Wonder if there's any way for Wilson to lock in the third year based on IP?
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

NOW what do you think?
    I like the Deal. If he pitches well during the next two years that 5.15 will be cheap. Now impress me DanO, sign Perez. I would like to have two lefties in the rotation.

Turn Off Ads?