Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Wilson

Re: Reds sign Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Steel, stop making sense.
    My bad.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

2. Turn Off Ads?

CougarQuest scairt to look up ... sky ... falling! And it's not even December yet.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

RFS,

You've summed up the rolling disaster that is the Cincinnati Reds perfectly.

Now is there any truth to the rumor that Homer Bailey has changed his last name to Godot?

How ironic that the risk-adverse Reds front office inadvertently took one of the biggest risks of all in the draft, apparently without even knowing the odds.

We drafted a high school pitcher, one of the primary taboos of Sabrmetric philosophy.

Who knew DanO could be so bold?!?!
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

It's madness to think the Reds can tinker their way to success. This staff is broken, worst pitching in team history (something that apparently hasn't soaked in with some folks). Either they populate the rotation and pen with quality pitchers or it's just going to be more of the same.
    Your point is correct, but, what would you do to get 12 quality pitchers within the confines of the existing budget?

We can only tinker and hope some of the younger pitchers actually improve.

We won 76 games with a very poor pitching staff.

We can tinker and win 85.

That's a start.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    How ironic that the risk-adverse Reds front office inadvertently took one of the biggest risks of all in the draft, apparently without even knowing the odds.

We drafted a high school pitcher, one of the primary taboos of Sabrmetric philosophy.

Who knew DanO could be so bold?!?!
    I'd use another adjective, something like foolish or clueless.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig
    Your point is correct, but, what would you do to get 12 quality pitchers within the confines of the existing budget?

We can only tinker and hope some of the younger pitchers actually improve.

We won 76 games with a very poor pitching staff.

We can tinker and win 85.

That's a start.
    You've assumed the Reds can duplicate 76 wins given their quality of play last season. Obviously it could happen. It did once. But I wouldn't go around counting on the unlikely. The coin doesn't land on its side too often.

The Reds could tinker, improve a bit and win only 71 games.

I'd use another adjective, something like foolish or clueless.

Yeah, I know. Left out the sarcasm smilie.

But the guy who drafted Nolan Ryan out of high school bucked similar odds, as did the guy who drafted Van Poppel.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Yeah, I know. Left out the sarcasm smilie.

But the guy who drafted Nolan Ryan out of high school bucked similar odds, as did the guy who drafted Van Poppel.
    The guy who drafted Nolan Ryan took him in the 12th round and the team that drafted Nolan Ryan traded him before he did much along with three others for Jim Fregosi on his downside.

The guy who drafted Nolan Ryan took him in the 12th round and the team that drafted Nolan Ryan traded him before he did much along with three others for Jim Fregosi on his downside.

So, maybe he should have gone a little higher?

So, maybe he should have gone a little higher?
    Well, if you were willing to hold onto him for seven years until he turned 25, sure.

The Mets got 410 IP and a 29-38 record out of the guy over five seasons and finally lost patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog
    It's a terrible signing.
    I've read all five pages and agree. Just simply old men grasping at straws to make the club "respectible." No look at being competitive. They signed a 6-inning pitcher for $4 million a year with a gimpy arm (who just happened to have a career year last year). For those of you so happy about this...what ya gonna do when he gets lit up early in the season? and he will.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    I've read all five pages and agree. Just simply old men grasping at straws to make the club "respectible." No look at being competitive. They signed a 6-inning pitcher for $4 million a year with a gimpy arm (who just happened to have a career year last year). For those of you so happy about this...what ya gonna do when he gets lit up early in the season? and he will.
    And what if he doesn't? It's still only December; can, will, and probably me to death right now, it is just as weighty as a hopefully. I just choose to hope for good, rather than dogging now so I can tell everyone "I told you so" later. Maybe I am wasting myself, or maybe I just can feel better thinking the Reds have a chance. Call me stupid...

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    I just choose to hope for good, rather than dogging now so I can tell everyone "I told you so" later.
    Believe me when I say that no one has that motivation and there's no joy in being right about these things. I've got five seasons of general disgust with the Reds rotation and I haven't gotten an ounce of satisfaction out of knocking the product or being right in doing so. Watching the team you root for make what you consider the same obvious mistakes year after year sucks, big time.

Quote Originally Posted by DoogMinAmo
    And what if he doesn't? It's still only December; can, will, and probably me to death right now, it is just as weighty as a hopefully. I just choose to hope for good, rather than dogging now so I can tell everyone "I told you so" later. Maybe I am wasting myself, or maybe I just can feel better thinking the Reds have a chance. Call me stupid...
    I'll never call anyone stupid. You can bet on that. My point is that with all that's available and with the history of the club what with the Jimmy Haynes, Pete Schoeurek, and countless other backfire situations, why would you gamble that much money on a pitcher who had a career season?

I don't know. Time will tell and I hope you're right. Nothing would make me happier. I'm a Reds fan til death.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan
    I'll never call anyone stupid.
    Sorry about that, I wasnt implying that you actually have or would call me stupid, it was meant as an expression of my blind affinity. :

Turn Off Ads?