Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Wilson

Re: Reds and Wilson may be close to a deal

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRedz
    Will the $3.5mil/yr prohibit additional signings?
    In Reds world 350K prohibits any additional signings.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Will the $3.5mil/yr prohibit additional signings?
    This deal, if it happens, probably whittles the Reds' available cash pile down to the $5M-$10M range. The team needs a minimum of two pitchers substantially better than Wilson. Now you're forced into some ugly choices. Do you pay Adam Dunn the extra up front money it's going to cost to ink him to a long-term extension or do you get that pitcher you need? It's a choice you shouldn't have to make, but $3.5M to Paul Wilson most likely puts you in that situation.
    Last edited by M2; 11-30-2004 at 01:25 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I've always felt that the overtures to Wilson is a teambuilder more than anything else.

Regardless of what the stats say, the players on the team believe that Wilson is a guy who can get them 12-15 wins.

I don't think this is lost on Dan O'Brien, and when guys like Casey make an out and out pitch to keep him on the team, and O'Brien is listening.

Not that I think it's the right course of action. Wilson is a better signing than Haynes, a much better risk, but not the best the Reds could go after.

But I do know where O'Brien is coming from on this one.

I like Wilson's attitude, and hope he'll be back with the Reds this season. He's a decent middle-rotation pitcher, and, basically, I like the guy.

With the payroll raise you get Clement, ink Dunn, find a cheap reliever or two and call it an offseason (barring trades). I think that's all you can expect from payroll this season. Getting two top of the rotation starters just ain't gonna happen, and wasn't even before Wilson signs.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Glenn Braggs

An ERA of 4.36 makes $ 3.5 million per year look reasonable. If it's a wise decision to spend it on someone like Wilson is another question. On the other hand the Reds are really depending on Wilson plus another frontline starting pitcher to have some flexibility in 2005. The rotation for next season could easily be the worst in the majors, if they plan to depend on Harang, Claussen, Hancock, Hudson and maybe even Robertson.

just a heads up, this deal has been completed. will be announced very soon.

Woot!
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Thanks BR

Paul Wilson has one of the best work ethics of any player in the game. He is a great role model to the younger pitchers in the rotation. He is a good (not great) pitcher as well. Remember, this guy could have approached 20 wins last season if it weren't for the ineptity of the bullpen. He got hurt and came back and struggled and that's why the ERA is inflated over what it was for most of the year.

Paul Wilson is not a Hall of Famer, but he is servicable. $3.5 million does not hamstring the club from making addtional signings. They should figure to have around $5-10 million left to work with and that can sign a decent starter and one or two bullpen arms.

Good signing.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    I've always felt that the overtures to Wilson is a teambuilder more than anything else.

Regardless of what the stats say, the players on the team believe that Wilson is a guy who can get them 12-15 wins.

I don't think this is lost on Dan O'Brien, and when guys like Casey make an out and out pitch to keep him on the team, and O'Brien is listening.

Not that I think it's the right course of action. Wilson is a better signing than Haynes, a much better risk, but not the best the Reds could go after.

But I do know where O'Brien is coming from on this one.
    I'd submit that players on the team will believe that of any semi-competent pitcher. Imagine the confidence instilled if they had a hammer or two fronting the rotation instead of Wilson?

Also I don't see where this is any better a signing than Haynes was. Haynes was more mercurial, but in 2002 he had a season far better than anything you're going to get from Paul Wilson. I thought the Haynes at two years and $5M was a horrible move at the time and, if I'm going to be fair and consistent about it, then I've got to take the same tack on Wilson at two years and $3.5M. You can bottomfish a better pitcher and spend your money where it's needed.

Plus, Sean Casey likes everyone he meets. If you're a GM you can't let his affability run your club.

zombie, I still say if you have the money to spend on Wilson, then you could spend it on someone better. Though if the Reds get that Clement type and ink Dunn and make some minor bullpen adds (I'm really starting to cotton the idea of Wilson Alvarez as a 100 IP swingman), then it will be a solid offseason for the Reds. Nothing spectacular, but solid. The Wilson deal will just be a bit of unpleasant in an otherwise tasty meal in that case.

Yet what if they don't get that higher quality pitcher? What if it's another Lidle type or a flyer on a Matty Mo? Because my guesstimation is that's where we're headed. IMO, that's just spinning the wheels on a bad rotation.

I have no problem with this signing. The real intrigue of this offseason is what happens now....

My dad just CALLED ME in the middle of his work day to inform me of this signing!! :MandJ: He's really excited, and so am I. I'm really happy for Paul, and pleased that he can be around to set a good example for the other pitchers AT THE VERY LEAST. He's always someone you can depend on to work his hardest out there for you on the mound.
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

Reds re-signed RHP Paul Wilson to a two-year contract with a club option for 2007.

No terms yet. Hopefully the Reds didn't go beyond the two-year, $6.3 million contract Cory Lidle received from the Phillies. Wilson was effective last season, but it was the first year he's been anything more than a bottom-of-the-rotation guy.

Thank the Lord its a club option for 2007 and not a player option.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Spending just enough to keep us outta the cellar. Kansas City here we come!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Thunder
    An ERA of 4.36 makes $ 3.5 million per year look reasonable.
    Got to know your park. Wilson's 4.36 in the elephant grass grown in 2004 was exactly as productive as his 4.64 ERA in 2003, not to mention his 4.83 and 4.88 ERAs with the Rays in 2002 and 2001.

MWM, slide over and give me some bucket access.

Turn Off Ads?