Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 267

Thread: Reds sign Wilson

  1. #106
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Reds sign Wilson

    Quote Originally Posted by NC Reds
    I agree with the assessment that Wilson was paid his market value.
    That may be true but he won't do anything to make them better next year or prepare for a playoff in run in 2006.

    We have seen the best Wilson has to offer. WIth a below average pastball and his only one better than average pitch(his change), WIlson has no upside. I would have preferred spending the money on someone who has some upside. While that implies more risk that is how you get rewarded.
    Last edited by flyer85; 11-30-2004 at 05:13 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #107
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    1,866

    Re: Reds sign Wilson

    for those who say this is a bad signing and wished DanO would have spend 3.5-5 mill more on a Clement or some like that, just think you are willing to spend up to 5 mill dollars more for maybe 5 extra wins at the most if that much.

  4. #108
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,713

    Re: Reds sign Wilson

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    Would he be worth 5-million if he'd drilled Barry Bonds a couple of times?
    OOOOhhh. I'd chip in. But he would have to miss the body armor. :gac:

  5. #109

    Re: Reds sign Wilson

    WHO? And how much?
    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    That may be true but he won't do anything to make them better next year or prepare for a playoff in run in 2006.

    We have seen the best Wilson has to offer. WIth a below average pastball and his only one better than average pitch(his change), WIlson has no upside. I would have preferred spending the money on someone who has some upside. While that implies more risk that is how you get rewarded.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

  6. #110
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,672

    Re: Reds sign Wilson

    Of course if Danny Graves is traded, all bets are off.

  7. #111
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Reds sign Wilson

    Quote Originally Posted by Hubba
    WHO? And how much?
    Won't be able to tell you that until spring training is ready to start..

  8. #112
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,238

    Re: Reds sign Wilson

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Won't be able to tell you that until spring training is ready to start..

    Once the non-tenders hit the market, we'll have a much better idea who is going to be available. There's going to be some very good value available.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  9. #113
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,453

    Re: Reds sign Wilson

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Parker qualifies eh?
    I think he'd have been Type B or C when he signed, only 800 ABs the previous two seasons. IIRC, he also took a paycut coming to Cincinnati. Yet if he was Type A then that makes two nifty Type A signings in team history.


    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    You've never been to Cincinnati have you?

    World of difference between the coasts and the Mid East, especially if a slow developing, small market team resides there and you're from another country or either of the coasts........... plus you have your choice of where to play.
    Yes, I have been. Not a lot, but enough to know I prefer Skyline to Star.

    Baltimore's a lot like Cincinnati when you get right down to it. Anyway, I think it's fair to say the average baseball player isn't exactly a metropolitan sort of fellow. Cincinnati has some smaller fishbowl comforts it can sell.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  10. #114
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: Reds sign Wilson

    The Reds have never been active players in the free agent market. All they have ever done is bottom feed. I don't see that changing in the future.

  11. #115
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Portland, OR (West Chester, OH)
    Posts
    6,091

    Re: Reds sign Wilson

    I remember that Parker was more or less the Reds' first-ever major free agent signee. He was majorly down on his luck following drug scandals, injuries, and flat-out poor play from 1981-1983. He hadn't had a complete and effective year since 1980.

    He joined a club that had had no one hit more than seventeen homers the previous year (1983) and could muster only 16 his first season (1984). I even remember an article in the Reds' newspaper-thingy: "Get off Parker's back, he'll hit homers". He didn't hit one until well over a month into the season.

    But he certainly paid off in 1985 and 1986 (only falling down a bit in 1987, where he was behind the curve of the baseball-wide offensive explosion).

    Nowadays, if the Reds signed a 32/33 year-old outfielder who hadn't done much in the three years previous, everyone would scream that they were getting ripped off to have someone for four years in their decline phase. But it really all depends on the player.

  12. #116
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,298

    Re: Reds sign Wilson

    Cincinnati has some smaller fishbowl comforts it can sell.
    Sure it does.

    But the horse that pulls that wagon is the ability to contend enough to make a rush in season if need be, that means stability in the farm system, money to buy guys to get over the hump and depth all around.

    Stuff that the Reds are currently lacking in.

    That's a hard sell to FA's at this point, if a better pitcher who makes more jack than Wilson is to be had it will probably be by a trade.

  13. #117
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Newburgh, IN
    Posts
    3,458

    Re: Reds sign Wilson

    I'm just not sure what you guys expect. We saw Cory Lidle and we saw Benson. This contract seems pretty fairly priced. It could have been better and it could have been worse, but it's not terrible. It's also not over. Many here think it's over. We might still end up with a guy who will be the ace and then that makes 2-5 that much better. I believe Wilson would have been able to get more money and the option year was just done to get Wilson to sign. The hit to the payroll is only 100,000 more NEXT YEAR. I'll take a guy who won 11 and should have won at least 4-5 more for just 100M more. It's still early and I expect at least another pitcher. Solid pitchers just don't grow on trees. Remember Denny Neagle (sp) got 12 million a year. Gabe White was 3.1 million. In todays world that's just not a high dollar figure and this is a guy who can have success. The fans complained the Reds weren't doing anything and now we do and it seems there are many that are just disgusted with the deal and I just don't understand why! It might be better to pass judment when we are done and not in November (4 months before ST)!
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

  14. #118
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Right Down Broadway
    Posts
    18,713

    Re: Reds sign Wilson

    Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    I remember that Parker was more or less the Reds' first-ever major free agent signee. He was majorly down on his luck following drug scandals, injuries, and flat-out poor play from 1981-1983. He hadn't had a complete and effective year since 1980.

    He joined a club that had had no one hit more than seventeen homers the previous year (1983) and could muster only 16 his first season (1984). I even remember an article in the Reds' newspaper-thingy: "Get off Parker's back, he'll hit homers". He didn't hit one until well over a month into the season.

    But he certainly paid off in 1985 and 1986 (only falling down a bit in 1987, where he was behind the curve of the baseball-wide offensive explosion).

    Nowadays, if the Reds signed a 32/33 year-old outfielder who hadn't done much in the three years previous, everyone would scream that they were getting ripped off to have someone for four years in their decline phase. But it really all depends on the player.
    I think the biggest issue with signing Parker was shaving his beard.

  15. #119
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,238

    Re: Reds sign Wilson

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    That's a hard sell to FA's at this point, if a better pitcher who makes more jack than Wilson is to be had it will probably be by a trade.

    I agree with this too, and the signing hurts those chances too, unless the Reds can somehow flip Junior or Casey or Graves.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  16. #120
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,077

    Re: Reds sign Wilson

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds1
    I'm just not sure what you guys expect. We saw Cory Lidle and we saw Benson. This contract seems pretty fairly priced. It could have been better and it could have been worse, but it's not terrible. It's also not over. Many here think it's over. We might still end up with a guy who will be the ace and then that makes 2-5 that much better. I believe Wilson would have been able to get more money and the option year was just done to get Wilson to sign. The hit to the payroll is only 100,000 more NEXT YEAR. I'll take a guy who won 11 and should have won at least 4-5 more for just 100M more. It's still early and I expect at least another pitcher. Solid pitchers just don't grow on trees. Remember Denny Neagle (sp) got 12 million a year. Gabe White was 3.1 million. In todays world that's just not a high dollar figure and this is a guy who can have success. The fans complained the Reds weren't doing anything and now we do and it seems there are many that are just disgusted with the deal and I just don't understand why! It might be better to pass judment when we are done and not in November (4 months before ST)!
    I hear this mantra every off season. I expect a few cheap bullpen pitchers to be added and maybe another Lidle or Vanderwal type signing, but today's resigning of Paul Wilson effectively took a team with a budget as tight as the Reds' out of the market for real pitching talent, which is exactly what we need. I'll have no problem admitting I was wrong if we make a trade or signing for someone of Zito/Clement/Perez/caliber - I'll be pleasantly surprised to admit I was wrong, in fact. However, I'll expect the same out of everyone who is banging the 'The offseason isn't over!' drum, if and when we do little more to improve the team.

    Boss


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25