Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have a tattoo?

Re: Do you have a tattoo?

I'm leading the charge that says people without tattoos are now in the minority ("non-tats" R people too )

Seriously, among my friends, I am the "different" one (no tattoos, zero desire to get one). But if someone pointed a howitzer at my head and demanded I get one, I'd get one of my face on my face. So freakin' postmodern.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    I must be losing my PC sensibilities. I thought "tramp" was a fairly innocuous label, especially compared to the wide variety of vulgar derogatory terms that people use to refer to women.

Again, I apologize. I certainly wasn't directing the comment at anyone -- I was just pointing out the term that people use.
    I wouldn't apologize. I think it's funny. In fact, I know at least one tatooed woman who would think it's VERY funny.

Some of my best friends have tattoos.
    Stick to your guns.

Political question for the new age: Do you tattoo?

Before we get to the part where I'm asked if Gov. Janet Napolitano has a tattoo, we need to put the current craze for getting "inked" into perspective.

There will come a time, 30 or 40 years from now, when young women will point to their mothers or grandmothers and laughingly refer to a certain type of body decoration as an "old lady tattoo."

A Harris poll from 2003 found that 16 percent of Americans have tattoos and that a whopping 64 percent of those people are in their 20s and 30s. And it's increasing. Which means that sometime in the future a large number of American women in their mature years will carry a small tribal symbol, a butterfly, a flower or some type of scrolled design on the small of their backs. Or just above the nubs of their ankles. Or both. advertisement

Of course, these festively adorned females will be joined in nursing homes by elderly gentlemen with withering strands of tattooed barbed wire strung years before around their now shriveled biceps.

They'll have gotten the tattoos in their teens or 20s, a decision that will brand their generation in the same way that soldiers and sailors from World War II got hearts tattooed on their chests with the word "Mother" scrolled across them, or had the names of their ships or military outfits inscribed on their forearms.

One day last week, a young man in his 20s called my office to ask if I had a tattoo. I got the impression from background noise that the answer to his question would determine who would buy the next round.

Some of our esteemed educators and politicians believe that popular culture has transformed America's youth into a self-consumed and mindless generation. I mentioned this to the kid on the phone, then added, "You, apparently, are a perfect example of why that is not true."

It was the first interesting question I'd gotten in weeks. The only thing that could have made it better is if the young man had somehow squeezed current events or politics into it.

"OK," he said smugly, "do you know if Janet Napolitano has a tattoo? Or maybe John McCain?"

It was tempting. I got so far as to look up the phone numbers for the governor and the senator, but I couldn't make the calls. These are personal matters. And if for some reason the answer to the tattoo question came back "yes," protocol would have required me follow up with why, when, what and, most uncomfortably, where.

However, based solely on the personalities of these two people I would say this: I don't know if Gov. Napolitano has a tattoo, but she shouldn't. Likewise, I don't know if Sen. McCain has a tattoo, but he should.

The late Sen. Barry Goldwater, Arizona's one-time Republican presidential candidate, had a tattoo. It included four small blue dots (representing snake bites) and a half moon on his left hand. It had to do with him being a "chief" of the Smokis, a collection of mostly White men who dressed up in Native American attire, painted their bodies and imitated traditional ceremonies like the Hopi snake dance. (For the record, I will not be asking Napolitano or McCain if they've ever done that, either.)

As for myself, the answer is no, I don't have any tattoos. From time to time I've thought of getting one, but I never have. And as the years pass I find that there is less and less "canvas" of a suitably taut nature to be properly decorated, severely limiting both the what and the where.

I could go with Sen. Goldwater's snakebite motif, I suppose, but by the time I get around to it I'm afraid there will be no way to tell the difference between the tattoo and the liver spots.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Geezers with tattoos in 20 to 30 years will be just as funny as aging hippies are today.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    aging hippies
    Hey!! I resemble that remark.

Yeah, I do too.

That's how I know it's funny.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I have one tattoo, I teach Kung-fu (gung-fu is actually the proper way to say and spell it) and I have our school symbol tattooed on my shoulder, it means school of the dragon. I plan on getting three more, all symbolic of our school and our style. All of them will be concealed in normal clothing though.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25
    I teach Kung-fu

Note to self... be nice to Tommyjohn25.

So what good, reputable tattoo studios are there in the Dayton area?
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Not tattoos for me, but I always thought if I did get one, it would be on my butt and say, "this end up".

Never have even had the slightest itch for one. Could be because of a guy I used to work with who was in the Navy. He had these hula girls on his forearms and they were all blurry. I asked him why and he said they were as sharp as a picture when he got them, but that they just did that after thirty years. Kind of turned me off, I guess.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Note to self... be nice to Tommyjohn25.

It's actually very difficult to get under my skin, mainly due to my training. Martial Arts has been one of the best things that ever happened to me, I was headed down the wrong path once when I was younger and when I found gung-fu it changed my perspective on a lot of things in a matter of weeks. I instantly got hooked on it since it helped me accel in so many areas, work ethic, health/well being, and taught me most importantly to be humble, respectful, and to treat others well. When I got certified to teach I even fell more in love with it, I saw how it changed people for the better and I liked that feeling of being involved with that evolution in people. I have seen it turn around drug users, violent people, and people with low self-esteem.

I have been teaching since '98 and wouldn't trade it for the world. I actually don't even care about the money involved with it, I honestly feel fulfilled when I see a student progress to get past their own problems, because at that point it's helping them the same way it helped me a long time ago.

Sorry, didn't mean to go on like that, but I love talking about it as it is one of my greatest passions along with my family, friends, and of course, our Cincinnati Reds!! But now you can see the true meaning behind my reasoning to get my tattoo(s).
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    So what good, reputable tattoo studios are there in the Dayton area?
    I got my first one at Glen Scott in the Oregon District and they did a good job, and I went to check out a place called "Monkey Bones" in Beavercreek for my next ones(s) and it looked like they do good work and it looked very clean...which is VERY important.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25
    I got my first one at Glen Scott in the Oregon District and they did a good job, and I went to check out a place called "Monkey Bones" in Beavercreek for my next ones(s) and it looked like they do good work and it looked very clean...which is VERY important.
    Thanks, Glen Scott was actually who I was considering.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Hey Tommy, where do you teach? Creek jr is very interested in lessons.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14
    Hey Tommy, where do you teach? Creek jr is very interested in lessons.
    Oh great. Now Creek Jr. is gonna be able to beat me up too!

Very cool, Tommy. I still want to be buds, though. Just sayin'.

Turn Off Ads?