Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a tattoo?

Re: Do you have a tattoo?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Wow. I guess my circle of friends just isn't that sophisticated and classy then because I've heard that term being used for a while now.
    Why do I suddenly feel attacked? I've simply stated that I've never heard it. My friends use plenty of derogatory terms at times, but by chance or design ones that have negative sexual connotations don't come up, ever.

Sheesh, people. I was responding to the assertion that it's absolute common nomenclature. I just don't think it is because I'd genuinely never heard it in my life until I read this thread.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Well I meant for you, RL.

I find such beliefs fascinating.
    i haven't earned any as of yet. life is what shall cause them to be earned. to this point, i have my relgious conviction (the cross), and my ancestory (Thor's Hammer) that i've had spent much of time delving into and learning about.

i don't like going to past things to justify what would be new things (more than the first two tatoos), but a good example would be when i was 15. i spent an entire fall, winter, and spring running sprints and running distance. by the baseball season, i had gone from 8.6 second 60-yard dash to a 5.85 (slightly better than Major League average). conquering the body through discipline, that would have been worthy of a Sword or a bind rune of Fehu and Uruz and Rada.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Sheesh, people. I was responding to the assertion that it's absolute common nomenclature. I just don't think it is because I'd genuinely never heard it in my life until I read this thread.
    It has to be pretty common if I have heard of it.

I'll bet you a beer that if you ask your circle what a "tramp stamp" is, more than 1/2 will know.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Why do I suddenly feel attacked? I've simply stated that I've never heard it. My friends use plenty of derogatory terms at times, but by chance or design ones that have negative sexual connotations don't come up, ever.

Not attacking you, but you have shared several times before that you tend to run with an "artsy fartsy" crowd so it isn't suprising that you've not heard such a term from them.

And the premise that because you and your circle of what, 30-50 friends, define what is common place langauge/thought is laughable. Just because your small group of friends (small relative to the population at large) hasn't heard of something doesn't mean it isn't relatively common.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 04-23-2007 at 07:45 AM.

My wife tatooed the wall in our garage with the front of the van. Left a real nice imprint on the license plate in the drywall.

Does that count?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    While derogatory in nature, "tramp stamp" has become the accepted nomenclature for that kind of tattoo – at least among my friends.
    It's better than **** butt.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Zoinks!

Common or not, my wife has 3 tats on her back and if someone used that term to her, they'd be getting a bruised colored tattoo around their eye.
    Last edited by minus5; 04-23-2007 at 04:33 PM.

I have a tattoo of the word "TATTOO" on my forehead. Is that weird?

But seriously folks, I don't personally have anything against 'em, they're just not for me.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I have never heard the term "tramp stamp" before this thread either. I'm 37 (and even have a tattoo) and have worked with college kids for the past 8 years.

Nomenclature or not, to me, the term is just wrong.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Getting a tattoo has never entered my mind.

My father-in-law was into all sorts of trouble as a kid..and teenager...and young adult. He readily admits that just about the biggest mistake he ever made was getting a tattoo. As soon as his father - a German Jew - saw it, they dropped everything and went to get it removed using all of the latest medical technologies that were available a half century ago.

More pain than he ever experienced in a 25 year military career.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Getting a tattoo has never entered my mind.

My father-in-law was into all sorts of trouble as a kid..and teenager...and young adult. He readily admits that just about the biggest mistake he ever made was getting a tattoo. As soon as his father - a German Jew - saw it, they dropped everything and went to get it removed using all of the latest medical technologies that were available a half century ago.

More pain than he ever experienced in a 25 year military career.
    That is always one thing that has influenced me about tatoos---the inhumane way they were used to 'brand' people.

I realize that people today are making voluntary choices and statements (which is certainly their choice) but that image remains with me.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8 View Post
    I have never heard the term "tramp stamp" before this thread either. I'm 37 (and even have a tattoo) and have worked with college kids for the past 8 years.

Nomenclature or not, to me, the term is just wrong.
    Same here... I asked a female co-worker today (in her 50's) and she had not heard of the term. Then I just said the same words to another female (in her 20's) and she knew exactly what the it was - even going so far as to call a tattoo on the lower back on a woman a "bulls-eye" and saying that it meant the woman was "easy"... I predict as tattoos become more commonplace [which they have] the term will gradually fade away...

OTOH... when I went to school in SE KY in the 70's wearing bright red lipstick (which I did) meant that you were "easy" - I switched to pink real quick.
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    That is always one thing that has influenced me about tatoos---the inhumane way they were used to 'brand' people.

I realize that people today are making voluntary choices and statements (which is certainly their choice) but that image remains with me.

Rem
    Doesn't the Maori (sp?) in NZ use tattoos on the face as a form of beauty marks?
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Doesn't the Maori (sp?) in NZ use tattoos on the face as a form of beauty marks?
    It's my understanding that many primative tribes use tatoos as beauty marks. Everyone is welcome to draw their own conclusion. To me, that's far different than people branding other people for the purpose of segragating/eliminating them. It's a different subject and I thought my original post made that distinction. If it didn't, I appologize.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    I was under the impression that tattoos have been used throught out time, and across various unrealted cultures as a "beauty mark" or body adornment. I'm sure there's been plenty of times where people have used them for evil reasons, but my guess (and it's only a guess) is that people have used them for positive reasons far more than evil.

But I can also appreicate why someone with a holocost background would not be thilled about a tattoo.

Turn Off Ads?