Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rock legends QUEEN to tour next year with Paul Rodgers

Rock legends QUEEN to tour next year with Paul Rodgers

from www.brianmay.com;

Well, the news seems to be out .... Roger spilled the beans on his interview with the Wettendass Web-page gal .... so I endorsed it.

And this time it's not just a rumour. We are in the process of looking at venues for a QUEEN tour in the spring. It really all came about because of the Fender 50th Anniversary gig that I did with Paul Rodgers. We were both so amazed at the chemistry that was going on in All Right Now, that suddenly it seems blindingly obvious that there was "something happening here". And if we were to play together some more, which we both thought was an exciting possibility, who would be the drummer ??? Well, the expression "No Brainer" comes to mind. Then the UK Hall of Fame awards just came up out of the blue. Apparently we had won one of the categories and the request was there for us to play. I had already had the conversation with Roger at this point, about how brilliant Paul Rodgers was, and, since, very conveniently, he had also been asked to be there, we agreed we would ask Paul if he would team up with us for this event.

The rest in a way is already History. The show went so incredibly well from our point of view, and we got so many rave reactions from out there, we decided almost then and there that we would look at a tour together.

This is what we have been doing over the last two or three weeks, looking at venues, discussing how we might approach our collective material, etc. etc.

It's very exciting .... ever since the run-up to that Awards show, I felt in my waters that something big and scary was happening. Scary because as soon as you press the button for something like this you set a massive juggernaut into motion which cannot be stopped ! So bang goes the home life, and anything else we might have planned for the coming months. Suddenly the QUEEN Phoenix is rising again from the ashes, and will take precedence over everything in our lives. So be it. So there ya go. I won't go into more details right now, but, barring accidents, QUEEN and PAUL RODGERS will be on the road, pretty much for sure, around April 2005.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Rock legends QUEEN to tour next year with Paul Rodgers

I don't know who Paul Rodgers is, but he's got big shoes to fill.
    /r/reds

I guess it would be like Tony Orlando and Dawn, but without Tony Orlando. Good analogy?

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I don't know who Paul Rodgers is, but he's got big shoes to fill.
    singer from Bad Company and The Firm

i'd rather listen to someone hitting me in the head with a hammer.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I hear Clay Aiken is available.

I'm sorry, but Queen without Freddie Mercury is not Queen. They shouldn't even use the name. Like Unassisted said, those are some big shoes to fill!

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I never was a big fan of Queen. I liked a few of their songs, but overall....Blah.

It was vocalists like Mercury (Queen), Perry (Journey), and DeYoung (Styx) that made me want to run my fingernails down a chalkboard.

I don't deny their vocal range/abilities. It's just different strokes for different folks.

Paul Rodgers (Free, Bad Company, Firm) is one of my favorite vocalists.

I see where a revamped Styx is about to release a version of the Beatle's "I Am A Walrus".

You can hear it here...

http://www.styxworld.com/goout.asp?u...info/styx.html

I did. There's a part in the song that says "I'm cryin'"

I was. It stinks!
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Well apparently their UK tour is doing very well and even the music critics are giving it their thumbs up (shocking!)

http://www.queenpluspaulrodgers.com is the official web site and they're offering downloads of virtually all the songs performed so far (for a tiny fee I believe) with 30 second preview clips.

I think that, for the most part, the collaboration has worked better than I thought. Paul's bluesy/rock voice matches up pretty well with classic Queen songs like "We Will Rock You", "Fat Bottomed Girls", etc. On tracks like "Can't Get Enough of Your Love", Queen themselves add something fresh to the well known Bad Company catalog.

Queen + Paul are getting close to their summer leg of the tour and plan on playing the bigger venues (including London's Hyde Park which could see the crowd up to 150,000!) They're still discussing a US tour this fall.

A CD and DVD taken from their UK tour will be released in America this August and September, I'm looking forward to it.

It's amazing what people will do to see a cover band.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Shoot me. Now.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    It's amazing what people will do to see a cover band.
    I guess you can say the same about AC/DC, Van Halen, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Allred
    I guess you can say the same about AC/DC, Van Halen, etc.
    when Queen puts out a new studio album with Paul Rodgers, then they'll stop being a cover band.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    I'm sorry, but Queen without Freddie Mercury is not Queen. They shouldn't even use the name. Like Unassisted said, those are some big shoes to fill!
    From your comments, I can only assume that you don't think Paul Rogers can pull off the "butt-less chaps" ensemble???
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    From your comments, I can only assume that you don't think Paul Rogers can pull off the "butt-less chaps" ensemble???
    I hope that wasn't a gay joke. Freddie never wore anything like that on stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    when Queen puts out a new studio album with Paul Rodgers, then they'll stop being a cover band.
    How can people who originally wrote and recorded their songs be considered a "cover band?"

Brian May wrote "We Will Rock You", so you're saying that when his band played it on his solo tour in 1992 they merely covered it?

Turn Off Ads?