Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

If Dunn could hit right handed too, he'd be able to see every bad pitch and maybe not get so choked up and nervous. I think he's not as good against lefties and that would even things up a bit. It doesn't take long to learn, I did it when I was a kid and was pretty good.

2. Likes:

wheels (03-10-2015)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Lawless Fan
    . It [learning to switch hit] doesn't take long to learn, I did it when I was a kid and was pretty good.

ok, I can't compete with this..

It doesn't take long to learn, I did it when I was a kid and was pretty good.
    JT Snow says hi.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    JT Snow says hi.
    I thought JT is a switch hitter?

First you say Incavigla was RH, now Snoe is not a SH....

Apparently it wasn't as easy for him as it was for you.

Go figure.

Yeah, I "said" Inky was a RH.

Because he was.

He is saying that JT Snow was a switch hitter but he was adequete from the left side, and very inadequete from the right side.

Or, he was saying it ain't as easy as you think.

And he beat me to his response, so I'd like to change my response to "Skeeter Barnes for President in 2008!!"
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

:MandJ: :MandJ:
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I bet Tom is really Steel having a little fun with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    I bet Tom is really Steel having a little fun with us.

Close, but no cigar.

:
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Here's your chance.

In the majors in 2004, Runs Created was 97.3% accurate in predicting Runs Scored (23,376 actual runs scored vs 24,031.2 Runs Created)

The RC formula was slightly even more accurate when it comes to the Reds. 97.4% accurate (750 actual runs vs 770.1 Runs Created).

In other words, we can be over 97% sure that Adam Dunn created nearly 125 runs for the Reds in 2004, or approx 16% of the Reds total offense. He ranked 9th in the NL behind Bonds, Helton, Pujols, Abreu, Berkman, Beltre, Edmonds, and Drew.

That's with all the strikeouts, by the way. If he's going to create 125 runs a year, I don't care if he K's 200 times or hits .250.

I think I can count on my fingers of my left hand (and have four left over) how many times I've quoted myself, but BF is online right now and I'm hoping he might actually take a look at this and perhaps comment.

OK fair enough. Thanks for the quick and dirty summary.

I guess I still prefer the OBP, SLG, Batting avg. and a given players intangibles etc. etc..taken independently and assigned appropriate weights for a given discussion to something like RC for a simple reason. They don't group all 162 games together and award the pennant to the team that scores the most cumulative runs during the year. Each game is a new day. If you win a game 25-2 it is still just ONE win. There is no Cingular rollover.

I'd prefer versatile players who can do whatever it takes to win each game one at a time.

Here's your chance.

In the majors in 2004, Runs Created was 97.3% accurate in predicting Runs Scored (23,376 actual runs scored vs 24,031.2 Runs Created)

The RC formula was slightly even more accurate when it comes to the Reds. 97.4% accurate (750 actual runs vs 770.1 Runs Created).

In other words, we can be over 97% sure that Adam Dunn created nearly 125 runs for the Reds in 2004, or approx 16% of the Reds total offense. He ranked 9th in the NL behind Bonds, Helton, Pujols, Abreu, Berkman, Beltre, Edmonds, and Drew.

That's with all the strikeouts, by the way. If he's going to create 125 runs a year, I don't care if he K's 200 times or hits .250.

If you're losing by 5 runs by the late innings of almost every game, what good are those "intangibles" to you. Also, there's plenty of data that contradicts the whole "blowout" theory. Small sample sizes!

Also, with the level of accuracy laid out by Raisor, how can you possibly prefer your own little theory?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    OK fair enough. Thanks for the quick and dirty summary.

I guess I still prefer the OBP, SLG, Batting avg. and a given players intangibles etc. etc..taken independently and assigned appropriate weights for a given discussion to something like RC for a simple reason. They don't group all 162 games together and award the pennant to the team that scores the most cumulative runs during the year. Each game is a new day. If you win a game 25-2 it is still just ONE win. There is no Cingular rollover.

I'd prefer versatile players who can do whatever it takes to win each game one at a time.

Personally, I like to be able to see, within a very small margin of error (like I said, in 2004 less then a 3% difference) (nearly) exactly how many runs a player creates, especially when you're comparing one player to another.

Adam Dunn creating the 9th most runs in the NL actually means something.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Also, with the level of accuracy laid out by Raisor, how can you possibly prefer your own little theory?

Tomorrow night, I'll try to figure out the margin of error for the last few years, unless someone beats me to it.

Turn Off Ads?