Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
Results 121 to 135 of 135

Thread: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

  1. #121
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Melbourne, FL
    Posts
    4,862

    Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

    Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    I guess I still prefer the OBP, SLG, Batting avg. and a given players intangibles etc. etc..taken independently and assigned appropriate weights for a given discussion to something like RC for a simple reason. They don't group all 162 games together and award the pennant to the team that scores the most cumulative runs during the year.
    Except there's been this discovery -- not a particularly new one -- that a team's season run totals (or, more properly, run differential) has a very high correlation to its real-world wins and losses. (It's called the Pythagorean Theorem -- a team's actual record can be predicted, with some accuracy, simply by knowing how many runs it scored and allowed over 162 games.) A player that creates a ton of runs is helping his team win, even if he has some deficiencies that keep him from being even better.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #122
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    833

    Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

    Well said.

    I'm going to maintain though that if you're one of the good teams who have a legitimate chance at winning a pennant the difference between teams at that level will often be "the little things" and "the intangibles". The Reds can only afford to pay a select few "superstar" money and I think they need to be careful which players get it.



    Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    Except there's been this discovery -- not a particularly new one -- that a team's season run totals (or, more properly, run differential) has a very high correlation to its real-world wins and losses. (It's called the Pythagorean Theorem -- a team's actual record can be predicted, with some accuracy, simply by knowing how many runs it scored and allowed over 162 games.) A player that creates a ton of runs is helping his team win, even if he has some deficiencies that keep him from being even better.

  4. #123
    Member Crumbley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Toledo
    Posts
    796

    Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

    Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    I'm not the president of the Jose Guillen club. But I can tell a guy who (mid year 2003) is dialed in and showing no signs of cooling off. And I favor playing guys who produce over those with the "presumed potential".
    He hit 46 home runs. That's a lot.

  5. #124
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,834

    Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

    If there are only a select few, why not pay that money to the guy that produced the ninth most runs in baseball last year?
    Suck it up cupcake.

  6. #125
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    If there are only a select few, why not pay that money to the guy that produced the ninth most runs in baseball last year?
    because he strikes out to much. If only he would ground out to SS more often.

  7. #126
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    833

    Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

    Because......just for kicks, say the Reds contend this year......(play along) .....

    It will be the "little things" and the "intangibles" etc... that will ultimately separate a second place team from a first place team and a playoff team from a world series team. If I can only pay a select few big $$$, one of them is not going to be (regardless of his numbers) a one dimensional guy who rates at the very bottom in important intangible areas.

    Another example, probably wouldn't pay Manny Ramirez either. I'd love Manny on the team but not if I can only pay 2 or 3 guys like superstars.

    I'd keep the Donkey if it were possible to pay him Jiminez/Freel money but I'm sure that is not possible.


    Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    If there are only a select few, why not pay that money to the guy that produced the ninth most runs in baseball last year?

  8. #127
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,279

    Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

    I'd keep the Donkey if it were possible to pay him Jiminez/Freel money but I'm sure that is not possible.
    Both those guys will be doing fanatasy camps by the time Dunn is hitting his 500 HR, and creating the real intangibles.

    More runs then then the other team.

  9. #128
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

    intangibles - subjective, things that cannot be objectively measured.

    Sounds like a great basis for decision making. Let's ignore empirical evidence and focus on things we can't measure.

  10. #129
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    833

    Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

    Actually, yes.......empirical evidence can only take you so far.

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    intangibles - subjective, things that cannot be objectively measured.

    Sounds like a great basis for decision making. Let's ignore empirical evidence and focus on things we can't measure.

  11. #130
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

    Theories in practice - 2004 Red Sox were presented with the almost perfect contrast of the defense vs offense. I think it is informative to see the direction they went

    2nd base - important defensive position.
    The candidates:
    Bellhorn - poor defense, high Ks, mediocre BA, high BBs good power
    Reese - great defense, low BA, low BBs, no power

    The Red Sox chose offense over defense and it is rather obvious they made the right choice.

  12. #131
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

    Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    Actually, yes.......empirical evidence can only take you so far.
    I'll translate - we aren't getting the result we want, we are not wrong, therefore we must not have the right evidence.

  13. #132
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    833

    Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

    Where in the "numbers" could it have predicted that Griff would be on the shelf for 4 years?

    Where in the "numbers" could it have predicted Rickey Williams would quit football?

    Where in his college numbers could you have projected Brady to be the quarterback he has become?

    Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    Actually, yes.......empirical evidence can only take you so far.

  14. #133
    He has the Evil Eye! flyer85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    south of the border
    Posts
    23,858

    Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

    Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    Where in the "numbers" could it have predicted that Griff would be on the shelf for 4 years?

    Where in the "numbers" could it have predicted Rickey Williams would quit football?

    Where in his college numbers could you have projected Brady to be the quarterback he has become?

    two words - straw man

  15. #134
    Member SteelSD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    9,391

    Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

    Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    two words - straw man
    Uh...actually, that would be straw men.

    Carry on.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

    "The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

  16. #135
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,226

    Re: OPS vs. OBP vs. BAS

    I believe I'm joining M2. I do hope this thread continues, because there is some very interesting points being made. I will say, that if this thread was a baseball game, my side would be beating BF 15-0, 2-out, no one on, in the bottom of the 9th. We've got Eric Gagne up to close things out and BF has Neifi Perez up with 2 strikes.

    In other words, I'm feeling pretty good about things.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25