see "payroll"
    how many times did payroll strike out?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Strike out = to any other out?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    how many times did payroll strike out?
    C'mon man.

If you're paid more, strikeouts don't count as much. Get with the program.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

You didn't post the "at bats" or "plate appearances". (sigh)

but ..."nice attempt" to jack up sample size by using PAs rather than ABs

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    And I was basing it on 106 plate appearances. Trying to wittle that down to 30 hits is a nice attempt at drawing attention away from the fact that you make no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by BadFundamentals
    see "payroll"
    Huh? That makes no logical sense whatsoever. You're making the argument that strike outs reflect poor fundamental hitting. How much a team strikes out has nothing to do with payroll. I showed you a team that stuck out more than almost anyone else, yet they scored more runs than anyone else. The Yankees were 22nd in strike outs and 2nd in runs scored. San Francisco struck out more than anyone else, yet they were 7th in the big leagues in runs scored.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

sorry steel. what was i thinking.

So if your payroll is over, say 95 mil then each strikeout is only counted as a third of a strike?

does that mean it takes more pitches to strikeout Manny Ramirez?

because walks suck. and getting on base means nothing, cuz a walk isn't as good a a single.

just kill me.

Uh.......why should I use ABs? What's important is the outcome every time he walks to the plate. You're making less sense the more you speak.

I posted the plate appearances and listed walks. Is that not enough.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

what makes no "logical sense whatsoever" (again) ,and is the point of this thread, is that you'll acknowledge strikeouts are GOOD for pitchers but you contend they are not BAD for hitters.

You're trying to say that there is a positive correlation between a hitter's strikeouts and his offensive contribution??

Don't forget to include pitchers and their at bats.

Your Bosox fact is what it is. But strikeouts is NOT the only variable at work with that example.

Huh? That makes no logical sense whatsoever. You're making the argument that strike outs reflect poor fundamental hitting. How much a team strikes out has nothing to do with payroll. I showed you a team that stuck out more than almost anyone else, yet they scored more runs than anyone else. The Yankees were 22nd in strike outs and 2nd in runs scored. San Francisco struck out more than anyone else, yet they were 7th in the big leagues in runs scored.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    You know Rose...after having this same argument for you over the last half of the baseball season on the mlb.boards , I'll just sit this one out.

It is amusing to watch though...and at least on this board they have this :dflynn: :dflynn: :dflynn: ...which is pretty much how I felt all Summer.
    NJ, we've got another feature on the board that can end your pain altogether. Go to User CP and find the "ignore" list on the left scrollbar. Took me all of one evening to decide this guy's LP was one endless skip.

Then I read the words, "I'd go along with giving him one more year to make me eat crow and prove that I don't know what the he11 I'm talking about." That's when I decided not to put off until next year what I could do today.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I looked at your "bulleted list" (scroll up). You posted NEITHER plate appearances or at bats in that list.

But I stand corrected that you did cite the 106 PAs in the text..........

Uh.......why should I use ABs? What's important is the outcome every time he walks to the plate. You're making less sense the more you speak.

I posted the plate appearances and listed walks. Is that not enough.

Here is the list of teams that struck out the most from 1970-1979

Code:
    CAREER
    1970-1979
    EXTRA BASE HITS vs. the league average displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    RUNS CREATED/GAME vs. the league average displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    WALKS vs. the league average displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    AVERAGE vs. the league average displayed only--not a sorting criteria

STRIKEOUTS                      SO       EBH     RC/G      BB       AVG    
    1    Reds                       9222      339     0.38      549    -.001   
    2    Padres                     9117     -678     -.82     -705    -.022   
    3    Phillies                   9017        5     -.18     -304    -.007   
    4    Giants                     8927     -156     -.20      196    -.012   
    5    Brewers                    8906        7     -.18     -136    -.007   
    6    A's                        8801     -211     -.24       -6    -.012   
    7    Mets                       8685     -712     -.77     -106    -.019   
    8    Expos                      8632     -387     -.55     -314    -.016   
    9    Orioles                    8626       91     0.11      525    -.004   
    10   Pirates                    8577      278     0.12    -1038     .005

what makes no "logical sense whatsoever" (again) ,and is the point of this thread, is that you'll acknowledge strikeouts are GOOD for pitchers but you contend they are not BAD for hitters.

You're trying to say that there is a positive correlation between a hitter's strikeouts and his offensive contribution??

Don't forget to include pitchers and their at bats.

Your Bosox fact is what it is. But strikeouts is NOT the only variable at work with that example.
    you are so close to getting it.

psst. the key isn't strikeouts.

it's on base percentage. Dunn gets on base 38% of the time. When your team has a high OBP, they tend to score a lot of runs.

And guys like Dunn are rare. High OBP, monster power.

get it?

Why do I need to just re-type what M2, D-Man, and Steel have already laid out quite nicely. It's not my fault that it's beyond your comprehension

OK. That has to qualify as one of the funniest statements ever uttered here on RedsZone. What I'm arguing is that stike-outs have NEXT TO NO correlation to offensive contribution. It's actually YOU who are arguing that strikeouts correlate to offensive contribution.

Your Bosox fact is what it is.
    OK. You've got me here. I really can't argue with this point.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    NJ, we've got another feature on the board that can end your pain altogether. Go to User CP and find the "ignore" list on the left scrollbar. Took me all of one evening to decide this guy's LP was one endless skip.

Then I read the words, "I'd go along with giving him one more year to make me eat crow and prove that I don't know what the he11 I'm talking about." That's when I decided not to put off until next year what I could do today.
    m2, please do not put this guy on your ignore list.

i too walked on the dark side. and with help from you steel and raisor i learned that i can learn.

mebbe he can too.

Turn Off Ads?