Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: David Weathers and Ben Weber sign w/ Reds (per Enquirer)

Re: David Weathers and Ben Weber sign w/ Reds (per Enquirer)

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Supposedly carpal tunnel for Weber.
    Maybe Gullet should get him an ergonomic mouse pad.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    tempe85

Having seen Weber pitch for the last 3, 4 years I know quite a bit about him.

Ben Weber is a wiley old pitcher that gets away with marginal stuff by great deception and keeping hitters off balance. He has probably the ODDEST windup in the league bar none... He double pumps very quickly before he releases (some hitters have actually said it's so unorthodox they can't but help watch him do it.... stealing their focus). You'll see him sport his goggles and 3 inch beard for most of the season (a site to see... ). He's a very good ground ball pitcher and has only given up 19 HR's in his entire career vs. 271IP (which is outstanding)... but he won't dazzle you with strikeouts either.

But one more really important thing to add. I have NO IDEA what happened to Weber last season. He completely EMPLODED (he earned himself the nickname Gas Can last season because if you brought him in with a fire he'd add to it). He gave up at least 1 run in 16 of his 20 appearances last season. He couldn't get anyone out..anyone.... It was heartbreaking because that guy had overcome so many odds to get where he was..and was a huge part of making the Angels bullpen what it was..... it was like watching the Titanic sink to the misty depths of the ocean.

Carperal Tunnel Syndrom... not sure what it is or how long it takes you to recover..... but If he makes it back to anything like he once was then you definently have yourself a quality pitcher. And if anything he's pretty a colorful guy to watch.

So we're the proud new owners of "Basketcase" and "Gas Can"?

pretty much par for the course

any other crap you wanna throw our way? How about another righty named "yard"?

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

tempe85

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio

Oh.. they're just nick names..... Like Lackey is Too Tall Texas...... Colon is Fartolo...... Salmon is KingFish... Garret Mr. Smooth.... Vlad The Impaler....

Just fun stuff to keep the season lively (and if anyone didn't know I'm from Angelsbaseball.US... feel free to stop by and ask questions... there are far more knowledgable people there than myself).

But if you were looking to take another Angel I'd be happy if you guys grabed Amezaga who is rightfully named Amaz-a-suck

Be warned! If you are in support of Bill James you might throw up a lung seeing this guys stats:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=6892

Mike Socisia continually playing him has left even marginal Sabermetric supporters in agony (Mike's reason? He's a great fielder... god). Though oddly enough he did hit 2 grandslams last year.
    Last edited by tempe85; 12-15-2004 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tempe85
    Oh.. they're just nick names..... Like Lackey is Too Tall Texas...... Colon is Fartolo...... Salmon is KingFish... Garret Mr. Smooth.... Vlad The Impaler....

Just fun stuff to keep the season lively (and if anyone didn't know I'm from Angelsbaseball.US... feel free to stop by and ask questions... there are far more knowledgable people there than myself).

But if you were looking to take another Angel I'd be happy if you guys grabed Amezaga who is rightfully named Amaz-a-suck

Be warned! If you are in support of Bill James you might throw up a lung seeing this guys stats:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...e?statsId=6892

Mike Socisia continually playing him has left even marginal Sabermetric supporters in agony (Mike's reason? He's a great fielder... god). Though oddly enough he did hit 2 grandslams last year.
    Amezega is a poor man's Juan Castro, except his hitting is even more putrid.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    See Ya Mr. Reidling.
    Weber was awful in 2004. Why can't it be that Reidling just had an off year. He had always pitched well as a RELIEVER(thanks Bob) in the past.

If Weber can return to previous form in 2005, then why not Reidling?

Quote Originally Posted by tempe85
    Carperal Tunnel Syndrom... not sure what it is or how long it takes you to recover.....
    I have Carpel Tunnel, and I can tell you about it. There is a bone in the wrist that pinches a nerve. Each person is affected differently, but when mine is bothering me, I can't feel the Pinky and Ring finger on my right hand. A friend of my loses feeling in her thumb and forefinger....

If he does have it, there are treatments and braces that you wear to stabilize and prevent problems. The hard part is identifying what's happening. After it's ID'd you can pretty much resume normal activity, just following the treatment schedule. I have problems when I don't do what I'm supposed to do...

(OK, OK, go ahead and insert a joke about "wrist" exercises)

Weber, Reidling or both? Looks like we have a contender to replace Reitsma/Jones/both from last season.

I wonder how long either of these 2 signings last on the Reds. We have some talent that is going to have to be harvested at some point in the minors with the bullpen.

tempe85

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Amezega is a poor man's Juan Castro, except his hitting is even more putrid.

Maybe we can trade them both straight up? :all_cohol

:dflynn:

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

One of my professors in undergrad had a coffee mug that read: Father Time Will Kick Your Ass.
    And kick you in the ribs when you're down..
    I wish I had known this in my 20's, I used to laugh at Father Time and spit in his face. I hope he doesn't hold a grudge.

I am mid-30s, by all accounts I remain pretty mobile and only a step slower than I used to be. Can the more "experienced" Redszoners give me some kind of sliding scale on the slope of descent from 25-30, 30-35, 35-40 etc.

20-25, lost 1/4 step

25-30, not quite a razor sharp as I used to be, lost another 1/4 step

30-35, became senile and curmudgeonly

35-40, pending

GL

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    I wonder how long either of these 2 signings last on the Reds. We have some talent that is going to have to be harvested at some point in the minors with the bullpen.
    I'm not sure that Valentine and Coffey are quite ready yet. I think it is lock that Weathers is part of the pen. what do the Reds now do with Reidling?

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I'm not sure that Valentine and Coffey are quite ready yet. I think it is lock that Weathers is part of the pen. what do the Reds now do with Reidling?
    I'm fairly confident that Riedling will be non-tendered and we will sign another lefly for the bullpen (Mercker) to take his spot. All the RH spots have been taken, I don't see them keeping Riedling after todays signings.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Valentine and Coffey are 24 years old, time to see what they got. Valentine probably is going to make the club out of spring training unless he screws up.

Right now I see the "starting" bullpen as Graves,Wagner,Weathers,Valentine, and 2 lefties with a "7" reliever coming from the Harang/Hancock loser(If they don't both lose to a healthy Bong). I think Acevedo is the odd man out.

Turn Off Ads?