Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: David Weathers and Ben Weber sign w/ Reds (per Enquirer)

Re: David Weathers and Ben Weber sign w/ Reds (per Enquirer)

Weber looks to be a steal for us. Coming off a bad year with an inflated ERA, but still has a career 3.58 ERA. Should be a cheap signing. He also brings World Series experience. He would be a great go to guy in a tough situation in a big game. You know what you are going to get from him. That's surely different from last year where we had to bring a Sanchez or Padilla or McCray in and you had no idea what you were going to get from him.

Same goes with Weathers. Florida sounds upset to lose him. He is a good bullpen arm and is durable. If we need a spot starter, he is the man.

Very good signings, Dan O'Brien! Couple that with the aquisition of Ramon Ortiz yesterday and I'd say the Reds have had a nice couple days.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Weber looks to be a steal for us. Coming off a bad year with an inflated ERA, but still has a career 3.58 ERA. Should be a cheap signing. He also brings World Series experience. He would be a great go to guy in a tough situation in a big game. You know what you are going to get from him. That's surely different from last year where we had to bring a Sanchez or Padilla or McCray in and you had no idea what you were going to get from him.

Same goes with Weathers. Florida sounds upset to lose him. He is a good bullpen arm and is durable. If we need a spot starter, he is the man.

Very good signings, Dan O'Brien! Couple that with the aquisition of Ramon Ortiz yesterday and I'd say the Reds have had a nice couple days.
    Weber's not awful, but he is old, so....

And Weathers is just old...

and ugly.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The article on the Reds website says Weber suffered from Carpal Tunnel syndrome last year. Hopefully, he's over that and will return to being one of the best relievers in the league this year.

Very good signing, and looking better the more I read about it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer

and ugly.
    I could care less how old they are. If we sign a 60 year old who can get Major League hitters out, suits me.

You are right about Weathers though....he is one ugly dude. :mhcky21:

yeah, guy's gotta really bad helmet on him.....zane smith ugly.

No complaints from me on these two signings. Short-term moves were needed for the bullpen.

I still don't like the Moseley trade though. :thumbdown

Does anyone know when the official announcement is?

Also, will it be live on the Homer?

Should be an interesting Hot Stove League tonight from the GABP!

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Didn't Weber's arm fall off last year? He went from getting meaningful innings in the Angels' pen to being released in a couple weeks. His arm can't be right.

One thing is for sure. The Reds now have the ugliest team in baseball. They just added Booger and Jabba the Hut with a glove. These two pitchers are far and away the ugliest athletes going. They make Sam Cassell look lovable.

more runs than innings pitched? word.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Wonder what's up with Mercker. If we can sign him as well, I'll be totally satisfied with the 'pen. (well, Danny is still here, but that's a given I'm willing to overlook)
    I wouldn't give up on Mercker. That still appears to be likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    Didn't Weber's arm fall off last year? He went from getting meaningful innings in the Angels' pen to being released in a couple weeks. His arm can't be right.

One thing is for sure. The Reds now have the ugliest team in baseball. They just added Booger and Jabba the Hut with a glove. These two pitchers are far and away the ugliest athletes going. They make Sam Cassell look lovable.
    Supposedly carpal tunnel for Weber (but you got to doubt that--plus he's old; recovery will be slow/unlikely).

Weathers? .800 OPS Against in 2004. Ugh.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer

and ugly.
    Come on both are younger than me so I don't think they are that old.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    Come on both are younger than me so I don't think they are that old.
    I'm Weber's age; I heal slowly. (Okay, so that's not the best logic).

One of my professors in undergrad had a coffee mug that read: Father Time Will Kick Your Ass.

One of my professors in undergrad had a coffee mug that read: Father Time Will Kick Your Ass.
    And kick you in the ribs when you're down.

Bob Barker in Happy Gilmore?

Turn Off Ads?