Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: David Weathers and Ben Weber sign w/ Reds (per Enquirer)

Re: David Weathers and Ben Weber sign w/ Reds (per Enquirer)

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I wish I had known this in my 20's, I used to laugh at Father Time and spit in his face. I hope he doesn't hold a grudge.

I am mid-30s, by all accounts I remain pretty mobile and only a step slower than I used to be. Can the more "experienced" Redszoners give me some kind of sliding scale on the slope of descent from 25-30, 30-35, 35-40 etc.

20-25, lost 1/4 step

25-30, not quite a razor sharp as I used to be, lost another 1/4 step

30-35, became senile and curmudgeonly

35-40, pending

GL
    I had to laugh when I read this.... OH HE HOLDS A GRUDGE, and Payback's a mother!!!

I'm 44. When I was in my 20's in the Military, I did a little bit of every thing... Air-assualt, Ranger school, basically beat my body into a pulp... in my late 20's I was faster than I had been, and started slowing when I hit my 30's... At 35 the knees and ankles began to ache... at 35 I was in a car accident, hurt the back but rehab made it almost as good as before the accident...

At 40 Father time got EVEN with interest My knees and ankles groan when I climb stairs, or sit too long and try to stand up, 5 minor back surgeries later my back feels like any other 70 yr olds feels...

Now I watch the X-Games and think, you'll be sorry when your my age

2. Turn Off Ads?
    ODERED

Re: FA Announcement This Afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    Reds Sign "Philly Phanatic"

Published: December 15, 2004 (AP)

The Reds today announced the signing of free agent mascot "philly phanatic" away from the city of Philadelphia. Reds General Manager Dan O'Brien said that this move was made on behalf of the "fans" and expressed hope that this would once and for all squash rumours about the Reds organizational commitment to winning, or lack thereof, and pleaded with all those that haven't yet to "for the love of god, buy season tickets before John Allen turns into a gargoyle". O'Brien also indicated that the "fanatic" would be renamed "Numbers the Accounting Clown" to better fit the image of the franchise.

:MandJ: :MandJ:

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Valentine and Coffey are 24 years old, time to see what they got. Valentine probably is going to make the club out of spring training unless he screws up.

Right now I see the "starting" bullpen as Graves,Wagner,Weathers,Valentine, and 2 lefties with a "7" reliever coming from the Harang/Hancock loser(If they don't both lose to a healthy Bong). I think Acevedo is the odd man out.
    I think the locks are Graves, Weathers, and Acevedo. Valentine and Wagner both had serious control issues last season and with the Reds focus on strikes I could see one or both going to AAA if they can't throw the ball over the plate. I thinks Valentine, Weber, Coffey, Hancock and Wagner will fight for 2-3 spots.

There will be at least one lefty among Mercker, Norton and Shackleford(who has control issues).

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    I think the locks are Graves, Weathers, and Acevedo. Valentine and Wagner both had serious control issues last season and with the Reds focus on strikes I could see one or both going to AAA if they can't throw the ball over the plate. I thinks Valentine, Weber, Coffey, Hancock and Wagner will fight for 2-3 spots.

There will be at least one lefty among Mercker, Norton and Shackleford(who has control issues).
    If you think Acevedo is a lock, you gotta another thing coming. Wagner's control was MUCH better at seasons end by the way. If you are going to rebuild right, you MUST play your developed young talent. That means I would put Wagner,Valentine and Coffey in the BP to start the season and follow their progress. Signing Weather IMO is worthless.

Gas Can has carpel tunnel syndrome huh? Interesting.

In today's other news, the Reds FO announced the free agent signing of a strong armed, legally blind catcher...goes by the nickname "passed ball".

Wagner makes the cut for sure unless he is just miserable in ST.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

Weber was a good sign, 3 good years, one bad, I would take the chance at 900,000, and I say Eggert instead of the phanatic :gac:
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    If you think Acevedo is a lock, you gotta another thing coming. Wagner's control was MUCH better at seasons end by the way. If you are going to rebuild right, you MUST play your developed young talent. That means I would put Wagner,Valentine and Coffey in the BP to start the season and follow their progress. Signing Weather IMO is worthless.
    If the Reds were simply going the young talent route they would have signed neither Weber or Weathers and would non-tender Reidling.

Wagner was much better at seasons end .

Acevedo as a reliever had a 0.00 ERA in 17IP in which he gave up 7 hits and only 1BB. The Reds are not going to walk away from, especially since they love guys that throw strikes. Plus as a reliever he can be better spotted against right batters. He was very good against RH batters, only a .309 OBP. He was flat awful against lefties a .377OBP and 960OPS.

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio
    ...goes by the nickname "passed ball".
    Hey! I thought that nickname belonged to Jason LaRue.

These aren't great signings, but they aren't partcicularly vacuous additions. Clearly, the Reds F.O. has seen the disaster of trying to build a bullpen from scratch, using mostly unproven youngsters, last year. Now, O'Brien is going to go back to the previous regimes method of trying to surround the young arms, with veteran relief pitchers accustom to certain roles. It's akin to adding our newest model of Scott Sullivan and Todd Jones... and hoping they lend stability to the younger arms like Wagner, Valentine etc... The difference is that, unlike Jim Bowden, DanO has yet to show any propensity for evaluating bullpen talent, recogning which farm hands are the best BP fits, and for being able to construct an effective, balanced BP for a reasonable price.

Whether you like the recent additions or not, and I'm thoroughly nonplussed by the entire group... at least DanO is trying to strengthen the 2005 roster and pitching staff with some veteran arms. Whether he's allocating his attention and money wisely is a different matter.
    Last edited by Stormy; 12-15-2004 at 03:11 PM.

Guys it's not the years, it's the MILEAGE !!!!!!!
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

It's an upgrade

Of course...I would be too

We'll see what happens

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Weber was diagnosed with Carpol Tunnel Syndrom and was lacking feeling in his fingertips before being released from Anahiem

Quote Originally Posted by Ohioballplayer
    Weber was a good sign, 3 good years, one bad, I would take the chance at 900,000, and I say Eggert instead of the phanatic :gac:
    Nicole Eggert?? Man, I am so with you on this one!!!!!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Porkchop Sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    I'm hoping that DanO can package Riedling and Jimenez together for something. It would be nice if he got a lower level A lefty starter and a good bat in return, but I'll take anything at this point over him non-tendering them.
    Luis Castillo :mhcky21:

Turn Off Ads?