Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: David Weathers and Ben Weber sign w/ Reds (per Enquirer)

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Re: David Weathers and Ben Weber sign w/ Reds (per Enquirer)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Weber's unusual form will be a novelty in the NL- that should help him keep NL hitters off balance.
    In theory...

...but his arm is a mess. Nobody else was willing to give him a guaranteed deal because his arm fell apart last year.

Not a bad signing if he's healthy, but I just can't believe he's going to return to form after what happened last summer.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio
    so where's the lefty?
    If we do indeed sign Kent Mercker, he's right there. We could either carry 12 pitchers out of camp or have a competition to see who gets that 11th spot.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis
    ...but his arm is a mess. Nobody else was willing to give him a guaranteed deal because his arm fell apart last year.
    Is Carpol Tunnel considered an "arm" injury? It's nothing structural I don't think. I think it's just something that comes and goes. Wouldn't think it'd be a problem this season.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Yeah, I wouldn't call carpal tunnel a "mess", per se....I just wonder if that numbness wasn't related to an elbow injury or something.

Either way, they aren't taking a big risk on Weber. If he's finished, they'll know soon enough, and I want Coffee in there anyway.

I'm not as concerned with the pen as some folks around here. It's gonna be in good hands in couple of years what with the further development of Wagner, Coffee, and Shackleford.

If I was in charge of things, I'd worry about getting that rotation respectable first, and let the pen develope behind them.

Heck, I think Weber and Weathers are decent risk to take. If they do well a la Todd Jones they might fetch something decent in July or August. If they stink, so what? Give the kids a chance and wave goodbye to them at season's end, along with Danny Graves.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

A good explanation of carpal tunnel:

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/c...pal_tunnel.htm

Now, here's the thing. It wasn't just carpal tunnel:

From MLB.com

Weber shined in the bullpen from 2001 to 2003, posting ERAs of 3.42, 2.54 and 2.69, but he got off to a bad start this year that was compounded by multiple injuries. Weber said he pitched with a weakened right shoulder and numbness in his right hand for two months before it was diagnosed as carpal tunnel syndrome.

Then, when he was rehabbing in Arizona, doctors found bulging disks in his neck and back.
    Ok. So you have an 35 year old pitcher coming off a season in which he was pretty much a complete mess physically. I'm not a doctor, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn express recently, but am I the only one concerned that we may be seeing signs of a degenerative condition?

If he's completely healthy, Weber has demonstrated that he can help.

But is he? Time to cross our fingers I guess.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

I don't think I'm even worried about crossing my fingers, it won't matter.
    Whatever Weber gives them or doesn't will probably be of little consequence in the grand scheme.

He's just a nice thought, as long as he can physically move the ball from his hand to the plate.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio
    so where's the lefty?
    I only know about him through conversations on this board, but what chance does Ben Kozlowski have of slipping into that 2nd LOOGY role? From what I understand he is a high-upside guy coming off injury. Seems like a low-pressure LOOGY spot might help him in his development.

David Weathers is guaranteed $1.35 million under the terms of the deal he signed with Cincinnati today.

Ben Weber gets $600,000 in 2005.

Weathers' contract calls for a $1.25 million salary next season and includes a 2006 option at $1.25 million to $1.6 million with a $100,000 buyout. The option would become guaranteed if he has 55 appearances next year. It would be guaranteed at $1.3 million if he pitches in 60 games, $1.4 million if he pitches in 65 games and $1.5 million if he pitches in 70 games.

AP
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

IIRC, Weber got a line drive right into the face last season, breaking his nose. I'm not positive, but I'd imagine that would be part of his problems last season.

Wasn't that Donnelly who had that happen to him?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger
    Wasn't that Donnelly who had that happen to him?
    You're right there.

If anything, Weber and Weathers will be an upgrade as setup men over Todd Jones.

Considering the Reds acquire a starter and two relievers for less than 5 million while giving up a minor league reliever isn't too bad of a deal. Nothing spectacular but should bolster a woeful bullpen.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    You're right there.

If anything, Weber and Weathers will be an upgrade as setup men over Todd Jones.

Considering the Reds acquire a starter and two relievers for less than 5 million while giving up a minor league reliever isn't too bad of a deal. Nothing spectacular but should bolster a woeful bullpen.

....As long as Weber's not damaged goods.

Carpal tunnel can be corrected through surgery.

If he no longer has the symptoms, there is no reason why Webber won't rebound.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

He's also got bulging discs in his neck and back, and a weak shoulder.

That could all be in the past, but I'm just sayin'.....

I wouldn't be pinning any playoff hopes on the cat or anything.

These signings make me almost as excited as watching pizza dough rise.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Turn Off Ads?