Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty lambastes Larkin

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Marty lambastes Larkin

Did anyone catch this during this evening's Hot Stove League? Someone had asked Marty and Steve what they thought about Larkin not coming back. Marty asked the guy if he wanted the PC response (which he said Steve would provide) or the straight-from-the-heart response, which Marty gave. He said that what Larkin did on the last day (leaving the game, going up to the press box, sitting with his family during the game, etc.) was the most "classless" thing he's seen in baseball. He then mentioned that Larkin was already here in Cincinnati longer than he should have been, and that he thought it was interesting that Larkin's agent is now telling team's that he's willing to take a back-up role when he was totally against the idea with the Reds.

Marty then said that a back-up role only makes sense because "folks, I'm sorry to tell you, but there's no way Larkin can start 100 games."

I was a little shocked to hear Marty speak so candidly about Larkin with no seeming inclination of holding back. In fairness, he did say that Larkin was one of the greatest players in team history, but that most fans (to him) didn't seem to mind Larkin not coming back.

(Yes, I agree with him. But I'm not the Reds broadcaster, and the only backlash I get is laced with emoticons. Seems pretty ballsy of Marty to take such a stance.)

(Chip -- I hope I don't steal your thunder from your weekly reports, which I always enjoy. )

Re: Marty lambastes Larkin

Marty schmarty. I tired of his act about 5 years ago. I think HE'S the one who's worn out his welcome in Cincinnati and I'll be glad when HE has moved on. Great play-by-play man. Awful otherwise.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Marty schmarty. I tired of his act about 5 years ago. I think HE'S the one who's worn out his welcome in Cincinnati and I'll be glad when HE has moved on. Great play-by-play man. Awful otherwise.
    Yeah. I can't believe how cavalier some people are about Joe leaving, but don't mind Marty. I love, LOVE Nuxy, and I don't hate Marty, but if I had to choose between the two it wouldn't be hard.

Larkin really hasn't done anything wrong, at least from where I stand, and I wish him the best with whatever team he chooses. If the Reds can't win it all in '05 then I hope Larkin's team does.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Yeah. I can't believe how cavalier some people are about Joe leaving, but don't mind Marty. I love, LOVE Nuxy, and I don't hate Marty, but if I had to choose between the two it wouldn't be hard.
    Same, I'd rather lisen to Joe mess up peoples names then Marty slame everyone left and right.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    what mwm and woy said.
    School's out. What did you expect?

La Dolce Vita

"the most classless thing he's seen in baseball"??? ....give me a break! What's wrong with this man? Marty's ego has blown up like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon!

He never has gotten along w/ Barry, but I thought they had buried the hatchet. So he waits till Barry is gone and starts pouncing on him again. Yuuch!
    teach tolerance.

Marty is an arrogant jerk, he knows everything and if you dont believe me just ask Marty he will let you know.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Marty is a god guy, but he would know classless. Marty works with the most classless guy I have ever met. Rob Butcher.

After all these years, still bitter?
    UNC - God's Country

I think Marty's on the money saying Larkin's done and needed to be gone sooner (this has been debated endlessly here, so that's all I'll say), but I'm not so sure on the "classless" comment about the final game. I sort of understand what he's saying and I think some of what Larkin did that day was ridiculous, but for Marty to say that is a pretty strong statement.

I agree with Marty, where's the respect to Dave Miley not to mention Trader Jack who Larkin dissed. Goodbye Barry.

Your perfect record of mentioning McKeon in every post stays intact. :mhcky21: :mhcky21: :mhcky21:
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I remember at Redsfest last year Marty trashing the commitment the Reds made to Wily Mo and brought up his putrid Winter League stats. I think that one back-fired on him :allovrjr:

The Reds have added a link to recorded versions of the Hot Stove League on their web site now. Tonight's show is already available for listening.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...x.jsp?c_id=cin
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Turn Off Ads?