Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty lambastes Larkin

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Marty lambastes Larkin

I wonder if the root of this could be that Marty is still peeved that Larkin barged into the hallowed radio booth as part of the "classless stunt."
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'll never understand it. Cincinnati has had the pleasure over the last 17 years, to witness first-hand one of the best shortstops and one of the most complete players of all-time play and be loyal to the city of Cincinnati. Yet instead of adoring this player like most other cities would, all some people seem to care about are a couple of unsubstantiated anecdotes that, even if true, really amount to NOTHING. I don't get it. If I ever had the opportunity to meet Barry, the first thing I'd do is apologize to him for some of the treatment he had to endure by some of the fans in Cincinnati.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Marty just tells it the way he sees it, whether or not you agree or disagree...some people can't handle it

I'd rather have that than somebody who recites the "company line" and is a straight up blow hard for the team

It's like Paul Daugherty...his job is to stimulate conversation in his columns in the paper, but some people dislike him because they disagree with him....that's the idea, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Personally I've got no beef whatsoever with Marty taking issue with any Red or Reds under contract. But when it comes to people no longer employed by the Reds? Move on, Marty. Save that bile for this year...you're going to need it.

Somebody asked Marty the question....Marty gave an answer...what's the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    Even Cal Ripken never sniffed anything north of $7 million, and he was arguably a better offensive shortstop than Larkin. There's no evidence to support the idea that Larkin would have gobbled up all of this money on the free agent market. When you look at salaries from that time, even an offensive second baseman like Alomar received a contract similar to Larkin's.

Where's the quotes where the player's union was "up in arms?" Where are the quotes of rumors about people who would be paying Larkin this money? Oh, that's right. I'm the only who's supposed to provide evidence in this discussion.
    Larkin annually dusted Ripken in BA, OB and SLG during thelate '80s and throught the '90s ('91 being the lone notable exception). He also fielded the position better and ran better. Ripken got himself the same per annum amount after a putrid '92 that Larkin got after an MVP '95. In fact Ripken was earning $1.5M more per year than Larkin in the late '90s and this was long after Ripken had been an average at best offensive player for half a decade and was on the verge of moving to 3B. So Barry Larkin in his prime was making $1.5M less than a guy well past his prime. You can be sure Ripken's contract would have been the measuring stick and if Larkin would have been paid for his value in relation to Ripken, he'd have gone through the roof. Had he made only 25% more than Ripken, he'd have made $8.5M a year instead of $5.3M. Cecil Fielder was making $9.24M a year in 1995 and 1996 and Larkin was hands down, going away a superior player.

As for quotes, when you find a good archive of Reds-related and baseball articles from 1995 that doesn't charge you money to read it, let me know. Otherwise you'll just have to look at where the market was, where Larkin was and recall the reports of the players union fuming over Larkin's decision not to set the market.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

He's probably laugh at your comment and say something about how the fans in Cincinnati were great to him. You can say he was underpaid for years and therefore deserved the 27 mil over 3 years, but the bottom line is the fans of Cincinnati gave him that contract. You seem to be generalizing alot lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    Somebody asked Marty the question....Marty gave an answer...what's the issue?
    He's a twerp.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by iammrred
    ... so long as he would be the starter..
    He was just benched for 6 weeks, yet still wanted to come back.

He's not stupid. Of course he knew that Lopez and Machado would be getting a lot of starts next year. DanO and Miley showed it to him. There was no denying it.

I've never seen a quote where he demanded to be a starter. Marty says it, but that doesn't make it so. But perhaps he said he "prefered" to start. Much like Pokey Reese said he "prefered" to start. Any ballplayer that doesn't prefer to start doesn't have much drive in him. I bet VanderWall even prefered to be a starter.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Marty just tells it the way he sees it, whether or not you agree or disagree...some people can't handle it
    If I hear this one more time, I think I'm going to

"Telling it like you see it" over the airwaves when a large contingent of the fanbase if listening is not a virtue to be praised. It's personal for marty and he has a mic. Going public and manipulating his position for personal vendettas is unprofessional and not something we should be praising. And maybe I have a problem with "how he see's it." If marty had any balls, he'd rip the front office and John Allen.

And spare me the "Can't handle it" nonsense. Just because I don't like what he's saying doesn't mean "I can't handle it." That's one of the most played out cliches I've ever heard. I am a big boy. I can handle it. Maybe it's YOU who can't handle criticism of the ever so deified Marty Brenneman. Some people are so far up this guy's rear end, they "can't handle" that he's not the virtuous public servant you think he is. Let's be realistic, marty Brenneman sits behind a mic and tells us what's going on in a baseball game. He's exceptional at it, I'll give him that. He does play by play as well as anyone I've ever heard. But that's all he does.

Again, people ADORE Marty Brenneman but loathe Barry Larkin. I'll go to my grave without a clue as to why some people are adored and others loathed. Makes no rational sense.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I'll never understand it. Cincinnati has had the pleasure over the last 17 years, to witness first-hand one of the best shortstops and one of the most complete players of all-time play and be loyal to the city of Cincinnati. .
    Well, maybe after a few years of a revolving door of Lopez, Machado, etc. some fans will appreciate what Lark did.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Or maybe we just agree with him? I honestly think you can't understand how anyone in this world could EVER disagree with you on a subject, I swear to god that is how you sound. People disagree with you, get over it.

Whether or not Larkin was "grossly" underpaid for a time is purely a matter of speculation, given we don't know what he could have gotten on the open market.
    Whether or not he was grossly overpaid on a 3-year, 27 million contract is not a matter of speculation. It's fact.

I loved Larkin as a player. As a leader, he was a mixed bag. Taking the 'C' off his uniform was bush. I didn't like a lot of his public griping about the team's direction. When you're a team leader, you can handle that stuff behind closed doors -- just ask for a meeting, and request a trade. But the help he gave young players, and his ability to relate to Spanish-speaking players, was fantastic.

Barry never really accepted that management is entitled to run a team the way they want to. It's their money. But his big-fish-in-a-little-pond mentality, enabled by Bowden, I think, led him to think he should have a voice, when he felt like it, in matters like the payroll and trades. His declaration that he would like to move into the FO someday was tinged with absurdity, I always felt, because he had shown so little understanding of the FO perspective.

Again -- I loved watching the guy play. And that's what matters most to me as a fan. But his "classy" persona belied a pretty manipulative personality, in my opinion.

For all the griping, this thread is on it's 5th page

I'd rather have that than somebody who recites the "company line" and is a straight up blow hard for the team
    Marty does parrot the party line. He's never disagreed with anything Allen/Lindner have done. He knows who's paying his check. Remember his crusade to convince the fans that they should not expect Jr to come here?

He knows the players, Bob Boone, etc are fair game and bounces on them.

Now, I don't expect Marty to be anything more than a puppet for Allen (and that includes slamming Lark at every opportunity), but let's not pretend that Marty is completely impartial. His lips are firmly planted on Allen's rearend.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Or maybe we just agree with him? I honestly think you can't understand how anyone in this world could EVER disagree with you on a subject, I swear to god that is how you sound. People disagree with you, get over it.
    Go back and re-read your own comments and tell me how you're any different Mr. pot.

Turn Off Ads?