Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Marty lambastes Larkin

Re: Marty lambastes Larkin

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw
    I'm a big Larkin fan...but that is why he is no longer here
    I agree. I think if he could have accepted a role playing short, second, third, etc., he might have been alright baseball wise to keep around.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    From the Post Oct. 13....

If Larkin knew the Reds were committed to starting Lopez and Machado every day at shortstop next season, could he play an entire year in the same role he held this September?

"No, I couldn't," Larkin said, "because I think once I started playing that the manager would see that I could make more contributions to the team than that. If I get a chance to go out there and play, with my track record when I'm healthy, everybody knows that I can play. So, no, I couldn't see myself in that position, especially in Cincinnati."
    So he wants a chance to compete for playing time against Machado/Lopez.
    What's wrong with that? If he's only going to be a RH pinch hitter, he might as well retire.

It seems like his beef was that he would never start (ie. playing Machado/Lopez EVERY day).

And guess what? That doesn't make him a bad person. He wanted a shot to compete for the starting job. He was just named to the All Star team. Why is that so bad?

You were right, I missed that quote. Lark did want a chance to play everyday. But why does that suddenly make him some kind of villian? Why is Marty laughing that he's willing to be a reserve on another team? Is the guy allowed to change is mind? I guess not.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    I agree. I think if he could have accepted a role playing short, second, third, etc., he might have been alright baseball wise to keep around.
    No, I think Allen wanted him gone. That was the whole point about "waiting until after the season to discuss contracts".

Allen wanted him gone last year and in 2000. Allen wasn't going to screw it up a third time.

Note, I'm not disagreeing with your opinion.. I'm just saying that even if Lark went to Allen, agreed to play for the minimum, and do whatever the team wanted, he'd still be gone.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

There may be something to that

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Jr. was stealing Marty's spotlight. He needed to be put in his place.
    Exactly, Marty thinks HE is the Cincinnati Reds <- I'm rolling eyes at marty, not M2

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Exactly, Marty thinks HE is the Cincinnati Reds <- I'm rolling eyes at marty, not M2
    That's gotta be it...we've figured it out :dflynn:

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Nope, just offering an opinion based on observation. I lived in Cincinnati for 25 years and I witnessed first-hand just how far up Marty's ass some folks are. I know that Marty has always promoted his "tell it like it is" brand. So when he comes out and says these types of things that seem to be very personal for him and rips a guy like Larkin over the public airways and people's first reaction is to defend Marty as "call's it llike he sees it", then yes, it appears to me that some have bought the Marty Brenneman image he's been promoting for a couple of decades.

Marty's defenders will never, EVER consider that he's in the wrong and that what he's doing is unprofessional. NO WAY, it's ALWAYS about Marty "calling it like he sees it". So yes, the evidence is there for me to offer this opinion. I'm sorry if you feel personally indicted. I never made accusations for anyone personally, but I have little doubt that plenty of people are buying what Marty is selling ans has been selling successfully in this thread.

Evidence: the first thing said after someone dared question the omniscient Marty Brenneman was "he just doesn't sugarcoat". I'd say there's a lot of validity to my opinion in this case. I'm sure there are some who just agree with Marty in this case, but there's also plenty of people not capable getting past their idolization of Marty. those are the people I'm talking about.
    So, they're just like the people who blindly idolize Larkin?

That could explain why we're now on Page 6.

I like all the "superior intelligence" on this thread. :MandJ:
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 12-16-2004 at 05:23 PM.

M2,
    I don't for a second believe that management made promises to Larkin that they turned around and broke. Say they said, "We'll be competitive." How does Larkin read that? "We'll spend $80 million and get at least 1 top FA pitcher?" If that's how he reads it, he's pretty out of touch with the reality of how the Reds have always operated. Fact is, you have no idea what Larkin was told.
    You ask other posters to supply quotes in order to prove to you that someone said something. Yet you permit yourself to attribute to the front office "certain representations" that you remember Larkin said they said? Not buying it, and buying the way you're selling it.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    I like all the superior intelligence on this thread. :MandJ:
    I am the only one who fits into that category...thank you very much : :

You're more than welcome. :MandJ:

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Jr. was stealing Marty's spotlight. He needed to be put in his place.
    By this logic, why hasn't Marty ever taken personal digs at Sean Casey? Casey, whether right or not, is probably the face of this organization now, and has been the past couple years with the injuries to Larkin and KGJ. Maybe we should expect an all out assault once Casey gets that 'C' on his jersey. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil3232
    By this logic, why hasn't Marty ever taken personal digs at Sean Casey? Casey, whether right or not, is probably the face of this organization now, and has been the past couple years with the injuries to Larkin and KGJ. Maybe we should expect an all out assault once Casey gets that 'C' on his jersey. Please.
    I betcha no one gets the "C" it's an antiqueted notion in baseball. Aside from Jeter (who was named by George) who else is a Captain in the sport?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    I betcha no one gets the "C" it's an antiqueted notion in baseball. Aside from Jeter (who was named by George) who else is a Captain in the sport?
    Tend to agree, woy. I don't think they will throw that "C" around much anymore. Someone is really going to have to earn it before it gets sewn on a jersey again. This front office is not going to throw any more power to a player than it has to. This front office needs no more PR disasters looming on the near horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    M2,
    I don't for a second believe that management made promises to Larkin that they turned around and broke. Say they said, "We'll be competitive." How does Larkin read that? "We'll spend $80 million and get at least 1 top FA pitcher?" If that's how he reads it, he's pretty out of touch with the reality of how the Reds have always operated. Fact is, you have no idea what Larkin was told.
    Man, I wish there were good databases back to 1995. Though, lacking them, there's nothing to stop you from reinventing history I suppose.

And if the Reds said, "We'll be competitive," then I think Larkin could reasonably expect the team not to slash payroll and go through a rebuilding process. He especially could expect this if the team asked him to take less money so that it had the cash to assemble more talent around him so that it could keep a championship competitor on the field, which surely it did.

BTW, the Reds had one of the highest payrolls in baseball in the early and mid 90s. It would be out of touch with reality to insist the Reds have always operated like a pauper franchise in regards to major league payroll when during the Marge regime it spent top dollar to assemble a major league club. She short-shrift other areas to do it, but a healthy payroll (and winning baseball) had been a consistent feature of Cincinnati Reds baseball for Larkin's who career until he signed that deal after 1995.
    Last edited by M2; 12-16-2004 at 05:57 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?