Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Marty lambastes Larkin

ODERED

Re: Marty lambastes Larkin

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Yeah, this place is a classic example of lock-step thinking. No one ever disagrees about anything.
    I don't think it's so much about disagreeing, as it is about the ones here that he feels try to discourage certain posters from saying anything that might be considered disagreeable.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Glad you liked.

Though I should have continued until he admits ordering the Code Red on Larkin.

You just (HACKED) off the wrong announcer!

2/09/07
    Last edited by Ga_Red; 02-09-2007 at 03:27 AM.

I have a question for M2 and MWM....

It seems that you are against Marty giving opinions unless they are positive towards the club. It seems that you are against him speaking his mind about everyone except Lindner and Allen. Let me first ask you this....have you ever not liked a situation, but you knew not to cross the line? Say you totally disagree with something going on at work. You can talk bad about just about everyone involved but your boss because that is crossing the line. See where I'm going with that?

Secondly, do you want Marty to sit back, call the game and be a cheerleader? Because if you do, then why not bring Chip Carey and Steve Stone in? Oh wait, because they're not being objective, they're kissing the team's ass. I'd be willing to bet that if we had somebody like that in here, you'd complain about that. You're not happy with Marty, I bet you'd not be happy about a cheerleader....what do you want?

I guess I don't understand why you dislike him so much. He gives praise where praise is due and he criticized where criticism is due and he does it for both sides. The past couple years, there hasn't been much to praise in Reds Land. I go back to my earlier question that never got answered...do you want him to sugar coat things just because there is a microphone in front of his face?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

redsfan30, respectfully, if that's your impression of my opinion, then you need to go back and re-read the thread because you're not even close. So I'm going to pass on responding.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    redsfan30, respectfully, if that's your impression of my opinion, then you need to go back and re-read the thread because you're not even close. So I'm going to pass on responding.
    Then tell me what your stance is please....I read through the first couple pages and got tired of reading all the babling crap so I quit. That's just the opinion I formed from earlier in the thread. Again, if it's not right please correct me.

rf30, I wasn't raised on Marty and, frankly, I think he's a horrible announcer. I don't think he provides valuable insight or analysis, too often during games he loses track of what's happening on the field. What bugs me about his critiques of the team is that they're shallow and, IMO, only serve to establish his grumpy announcer persona.

Maybe he was something different back in the day. I wouldn't know. I lived elsewhere and it was rare that I heard a Reds broadcast. I've spent my life living in large media markets on the east coast and I have NEVER heard another game announcer get personal in the nasty way Marty does.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

rf30, I wasn't raised on Marty and, frankly, I think he's a horrible announcer. I don't think he provides valuable insight or analysis, too often during games he loses track of what's happening on the field. What bugs me about his critiques of the team is that they're shallow and, IMO, only serve to establish his grumpy announcer persona.

Maybe he was something different back in the day. I wouldn't know. I lived elsewhere and it was rare that I heard a Reds broadcast. I've spent my life living in large media markets on the east coast and I have NEVER heard another game announcer get personal in the nasty way Marty does.
    I respect your opinion, but strongly disagree. I think Marty is far from a horrible announcer. I think he is one of the smoothest out there as far as play by play is concerned. As far as providing valuable insight to the game, I think that's more the color man's job that the play by play. Color analysts are usually former players who have insight on the game that others don't. That's why Marty and Joe work so well together...he played the game and knew what they were going through. There's nothing wrong with telling a joke now and then or talking about golf or tomatoes during the game. It's part of the entertainment value, and that's what baseball is...entertainment. There isn't a single announcer out there who doens't mix in some off topic stuff now and then. He never lets it get in the way of the game either. If he did, I'd have a problem with it, but he doesn't more times than he does.

His criticisms of the team are harsh because more often than not they need to be. He is there to call a game, just like you want him to be. When he sees a mental mistake, a lack of effort or just plain bad baseball, it's his job to talk about it. He's not going to sugar coat some who gets thrown out at second after jogging out of the box or someone lets a fly ball drop because he is loafing. That is not doing your job.

Alot of what he says I don't think is personal (a few exeptions obviously). I think he just gives his opinion on things and alot of people percieve that as being mean and nasty.

Marty's got a nice voice. When he does play-by-play, and that's intermittent, he's fine.

I find nothing else he does entertaining or insightful.
    Last edited by M2; 12-16-2004 at 09:07 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I like the way Marty calls the games and i think he and Joe had great chemistry. But i think it apparant that the guy loves himself, which is ok but i dont want to hear it every damn game. His ego just gets in the way and he runs his mouth too much, it just gets old.

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt
    He has told other teams that, but he was clear he did not want to be a utility guy here.
    I think it was more that he couldn't understand that he was behind Marchado who I think Barry's see's can barely hit his way out of a paper bag.

He was also very complentary toward Lopez and realized that he could be the future Reds SS. As Lopez alway had great praise for all the help that Larkin gave him.

One thing we know for sure is that he was never asked to come back as a bench player SO we don't know if Larkin would have came back to Cincy as a back-up.

IMO Allen and DanO would not have brought him back regardless of what Larkin said, did or wanted to play.

You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has broadcast booths. And those broadcast booths have to be guarded by men with egos. Who's gonna do it? You? You, MWM? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Barry Larkin and you curse the Reds. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Larkin's exit, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me in that broadcast booth. You need me in that broadcast booth.

We use words like play-by-play, promo, segue...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent blathering about something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very broadcast I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a microphone and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!
    M2.....we may disagree on the discussion in this thread, but that was pretty damn funny.

Glad you liked.

Though I should have continued until he admits ordering the Code Red on Larkin.

beautiful. :MandJ:
    School's out. What did you expect?

You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has broadcast booths. And those broadcast booths have to be guarded by men with egos. Who's gonna do it? You? You, MWM? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Barry Larkin and you curse the Reds. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Larkin's exit, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me in that broadcast booth. You need me in that broadcast booth.

We use words like play-by-play, promo, segue...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent blathering about something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very broadcast I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a microphone and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Brilliant! absolutely brilliant :MandJ: :MandJ:
    Go Gators!

M2 :MandJ:

Turn Off Ads?