Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty lambastes Larkin

Re: Marty lambastes Larkin

So do you want him to sugar coat things?
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think it's a little rude to think you have figured out some master plan by Marty and accuse everyone that disagrees with you to be stupid. That is almost laughable and at the same time rude and conceded. If you disagree with me fine, but don't tell me i'm being bought and i'm too stupid to realize it.

Don't worry about stealing my thunder. [richard hand] I'll just sue you for copyright infringement [/richard hand]

This is only speculation on my part but I believe Marty feels like he does because he believes Barry did that to show up the Reds front office for not giving into his demands and it was a stunt to curry favor with the fans and try to force the Reds to offer him a deal for 2005. He probably believes that what Barry did burned John Allen and DanO's hides. Marty is a big supporter of those two and that is why, IMO, he said what he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Some are making Marty out to be a virtuous truth teller. Marty has created the Brenneman brand and now all he's doing is trying to live up to the image he's created. This isn't about Barry, it's about Marty. He's selling himself here. Nothing more. And it looks like his customers are buying it in droves.
    You don't honestly believe that do you......
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Where do I find a Marty t-shirt and coffee mug?

While Marty might have been accused of going overboard with his mouth on occassion, I don't think we can honestly say that Barry Larkin is a saint either.

Either way, it's time to move on.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Where do I find a Marty t-shirt and coffee mug?
    In the aisle next to the Kool-Aid.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

At Kroger? Marty told me to shop Kroger and I never stopped going.

Marty ROCKS.

:gac: :gac:

As usual, he gives it to us straight, no chaser. Also as usual, it's a bit too strong for some Reds fans who prefer rah-rah cheerleading Kool-Aid to the hard stuff.

Classless? I'd go so far as to say Larkin's self-choreographed departure was unprecedented in baseball history. Has a departing player ever gone to such self-indulgent lengths? Taking himself out of the game. Addressing his public. Sitting with his family. What a prima donna.

By the way . . . Larkin hasn't signed yet, right? Could it be that Barry overestimated the demand for his services anywhere but Cincinnati? And in the end, he overestimated even that.

I look forward to a season of Reds baseball mercifully free of the annual Barry Larkin melodrama. He's gone, and Marty's still here.

:MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:

It's a good time to be a Reds fan.

Ummmm...What are you talking about?

Self indulgent?

Everyone from the bottum up knew that game was his last as a Red.

Most great players get a proper sendoff, and he got nothing. While I realize they had something lined up, and Barry decided otherwise, but as far as a sendoff goes, that one was pretty tame and hardly self indulgent.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

If Barry stuck to his intentions of retiring after the 2004 season, the Reds would have sent him out in style. But Barry was looking at Barry's interests and once he knew the Reds had no intentions of having him come back as the everyday shortstop in 2005, he decided to grandstand himself the last game of the season.

Barry made his bed. Let him lay in it.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    You don't honestly believe that do you......
    Why not? That's what media personalities do. They build a brand name around a certain persona. Marty's the grumpy baseball announcer who was here before you joined the team and he'll be here after you leave the team.

This is just his way of saying, "The Reds are MY team, not yours Barry Larkin."
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

There's a reason why guys like Marty and Pete Rose are adored in Cincinnati and guys like Barry aren't.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    There's a reason why guys like Marty and Pete Rose are adored in Cincinnati and guys like Barry aren't.

I assume we are using racisim here?

Because we are all stupid and we buy into everything.

It's not even possible someone could have a valid reason to disagree with you. That isn't even remotely possible.

Turn Off Ads?