Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Marty lambastes Larkin

Re: Marty lambastes Larkin

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    So it's classless for a player to go into the stands in his uniform, but it's not classless to completely bash one of the best Reds in recent history? Whatever Marty.

I only caught bits of the show near the end, but I did hear Marty bashing Brandon Larson, of all people. I didn't care for that either.
    Yes he did bring up Larson as an example of a player that couldn't adjust to hitting w/ a wood bat. This just proves that just because you are a hall of famer doesn't mean you know what you are talking about. Larson had many problems but adjusting to a wood bat (as he proved in AAA) was not one of them.

I am also surprised it hasn't been brought up yet that refered to Bowden as the anti-christ! Does he even know what that means? If he does then I have lost all respect for him. Bin Laden could be refered to as the anti-christ but a baseball GM that had trouble getting starting pitches doesn't exactly qualify.

By the way I only listened for 5 min on the way home for work before I turned it off and this is the 1st and now last time I listen this year and I used to listen to nearly every minute in years past.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric
    Because we are all stupid and we buy into everything.

It's not even possible someone could have a valid reason to disagree with you. That isn't even remotely possible.
    You've defended everything Marty has ever said. Your record is 100% in favor of Marty every time he's ever brought up.

And if you think I can't handle people disagreeing with me on this board, then you haven't been paying attention.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'm not really taking sides on this issue, I think they both have reasons for what they say and do, and they've both been wrong from time to time....

That being said, they BOTH have definitely made it easier to be a fan of this team for as long as I can remember.

Hopefully this passes quickly.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Seems to me what Marty and Pete share is a flare for self-promotion. They aren't classless jerks who'd throw an elbow at an old lady if they thought she was in the way, they're telling it like it is.

Barry Larkin spent his time in Cincinnati being well-spoken, well-mannered, not running down others, playing hard. Guy like that doesn't have a chance when the bully boys move in. He'll take the high road while the weasels toss mud all over his image. All some folks see is the mud.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Not running down others? Tell that to Ray Knight, Jack Mckeon and plenty others.

Barry did his dirty deeds behind closed doors and Marty is out in the open.

I was thinking more of the good old counry boy reference, not necessarily race, even though I think it does have a little to do with it in some circles.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The same can be said about Johnny Bench as well. He doesn't seem to be deified as much as Pete.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Then how do you know they happened?

How in the hell Pete Rose got into this discussion is something I don't understand. It's not comparable, Pete was loved because of his style of play and because he was raised here. It has nothing to do with Marty Brenneman getting support from fans.

Pete was loved because of his style of play and because he was raised here.
    Barry Larkin says hi.

The thing is I love Barry Larkin and Marty, you can check the past threads and i'm usually 100% percent behind Barry. I'm not even arguing that Marty was right in what he said about Barry, but I just don't understand why he isn't allowed a view on a subject. He answered what he felt and to me that doesn't make him a pompous jerk.
    And it surely doesn't make anyone that agrees with him some idiot that buys anything Marty sells. I'm not sure you really care, but it's pretty rude to say that.

Not running down others? Tell that to Ray Knight, Jack Mckeon and plenty others.

Ray Knight was a horrible manager. He richly deserved the canning he got. Jack was brought in as an interim manager and lasted longer than anyone anticipated (or in many cases more than they wanted). One of the few things Bowden and Allen agreed upon in their latter years was that Jack needed to go after the 2000 season.

Perhaps Larkin agreed with both moves. So what? They were going to happen whether he did or not.

I don't expect everyone to get along, to like everyone they work with. Barry Larkin simply has the class not to air his dirty laundry, making a public issue out of something that should stay in house. It's one of many laudable instincts Marty Brennaman lacks.

So, yeah, Barry never ran down Ray Knight or Jack McKeon or anyone else. You can't find the quote because he never made negative public statements about them. Running them down would have involved needlessly trashing them in public. Larkin never did that.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    The same can be said about Johnny Bench as well. He doesn't seem to be deified as much as Pete.
    Probably because he isn't a self-promotional huckster.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

I'm one of Marty's biggest defenders, but I really don't see the big deal of what Barry did on his last day. And it really makes Marty seem shallow if he praised him for doing it during the final game, and is bashing him for it now.
    Stick to your guns.

How in the hell Pete Rose got into this discussion is something I don't understand. It's not comparable, Pete was loved because of his style of play and because he was raised here. It has nothing to do with Marty Brenneman getting support from fans.
    Pete also did everything he could to make sure the fans loved him more than all others. He viewed the team as his territory as was willing to drench it with his urine if anyone challenged that.

Marty loved Pete and learned from Pete. When Pete left he decided to make the Reds his team. His eagerness to run down the team's players on personal matters appalls me.

[QUOTE=Chip R} This is only speculation on my part but I believe Marty feels like he does because he believes Barry did that to show up the Reds front office for not giving into his demands and it was a stunt to curry favor with the fans and try to force the Reds to offer him a deal for 2005. He probably believes that what Barry did burned John Allen and DanO's hides. Marty is a big supporter of those two and that is why, IMO, he said what he said.[/QUOTE]

Which gets back to my point about Marty being confused by decency.
    Last edited by M2; 12-15-2004 at 11:45 PM.

Turn Off Ads?