Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kent Mercker signs for 2 years

Re: Kent Mercker signs for 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    For 2 years, just to clarify
    Not 4 million for 1 year.

That said, I'm pleasantly surprised that DanO was able to pull this off.
    I know that some will say that he's not worth the money on a rebuilding club (assuming he makes over 1 million), but this is a great signing, IMO. It will make the club much more bearable to watch.

Good work DanO You've had a pretty good offseason so far. Maybe not optimal, but a huge improvement from last year when you ignored all the clubs' problems. Nice to see him actually making an attempt to do something this year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Now that we have pretty much solidify the middle relief, maybe we can add another veteran arm for the rotation?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Lots of resources thrown at a guy who face about 3.5% of the batters faced in a season.

That's one way to look at it.

Another is that Merker had a good year last year as a LH situation releiver and the Reds didn't.
    That's a good point. However, you can argue that many of those 3.5% of at bats occur in critical situations. Late in the game, often with runners on base. I know people make fun of LaRussa, but there's a reason why he tries to have 3 very effective lefty relievers every year.

A lefty reliever that can consistently get the big out is worth 2 million/year, IMO. Hopefully Merck isn't too old to get the job done, but he's a very welcome addition to the club.

Let me ask you this.. How do you feel about Weathers getting about 1.5 million? If you think that is fair (and I don't recall how you felt), isn't 2 million for a good lefty reliever fair by comparison, as they are certainly more scarce than respectable RH relievers. If you want to argue that Mercker is over the hill, that's a different point.. but let's assume Merck is a good bet to repeat his numbers last year. IMO, that's worth 2 million/year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    Now that we have pretty much solidify the middle relief, maybe we can add another veteran arm for the rotation?
    It's possible but at this point I would rather give the 5th spot to a young guy.

Quote Originally Posted by iammrred
    :MandJ: Well, DanO still has work to do, but it's a marked improvement from last year. I'm not ready to cannonize him yet. A lot of his offseason grade will depend on how these new acquisions actually produce, but last offseason, DanO deserved a failing grade. At least he has potential to get a C or B- for this offseason.

Of course, there's still plenty of time to do something dumb like non-tender Jimmeniz, and hurt his grade.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

That's a good point. However, you can argue that many of those 3.5% of at bats occur in critical situations. Late in the game, often with runners on base. I know people make fun of LaRussa, but there's a reason why he tries to have 3 very effective lefty relievers every year.

A lefty reliever that can consistently get the big out is worth 2 million/year, IMO. Hopefully Merck isn't too old to get the job done, but he's a very welcome addition to the club.

Let me ask you this.. How do you feel about Weathers getting about 1.5 million? If you think that is fair (and I don't recall how you felt), isn't 2 million for a good lefty reliever fair by comparison, as they are certainly more scarce than respectable RH relievers. If you want to argue that Mercker is over the hill, that's a different point.. but let's assume Merck is a good bet to repeat his numbers last year. IMO, that's worth 2 million/year.
    Weathers at 1.5 comes to around $4400 a batter, half of Mercker at 2 million.

Weathers also will appear in 20-25 more games than Mercker.

:MandJ: Well, DanO still has work to do, but it's a marked improvement from last year. I'm not ready to cannonize him yet. A lot of his offseason grade will depend on how these new acquisions actually produce, but last offseason, DanO deserved a failing grade. At least he has potential to get a C or B- for this offseason.

Of course, there's still plenty of time to do something dumb like non-tender Jimmeniz, and hurt his grade.
    ... or actually bring in a legitimate stud pitcher. If you pull the little nuggets of info from the lines and lines of filler in DOB's quotes, it really sounds like they're trying to bring in some starting pitching.

Let's say DOB lands someone like Millwood and signs Jimenez. What would you give him for a grade for the offseason?

I think people are missing the biggest picture of all this.

This was the worst kept secret of DanO's history as the Reds GM!!!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Weathers at 1.5 comes to around $4400 a batter, half of Mercker at 2 million.

Weathers also will appear in 20-25 more games than Mercker.
    Are those numbers right? Not that it has anything to do with your premise, I just want to know for my own information. I have Weathers making $1.25M in '05 and $1.6M in '06.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

CINCINNATI (AP) – Left-hander Kent Mercker agreed Monday to a $2.6 million, two-year contract with the Cincinnati Reds, who have overhauled their bullpen in the last week.
    Mercker gets $1.25 million next season and $1.35 million in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    Are those numbers right? Not that it has anything to do with your premise, I just want to know for my own information. I have Weathers making $1.25M in '05 and $1.6M in '06.
    I'm not sure of his numbers, if you have those figures you're probably right.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    CINCINNATI (AP) – Left-hander Kent Mercker agreed Monday to a $2.6 million, two-year contract with the Cincinnati Reds, who have overhauled their bullpen in the last week.
    Mercker gets $1.25 million next season and $1.35 million in 2006.
    For those numbers, I think this is a terrific signing. Couple that with tendering DJ a contract and the other BP additions, I definitely like the trend. If we did bring in a guy like Millwood, I'd give Dan O a solid B offseason grade.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by SC Reds Fans
    For those numbers, I think this is a terrific signing. Couple that with tendering DJ a contract and the other BP additions, I definitely like the trend. If we did bring in a guy like Millwood, I'd give Dan O a solid B offseason grade.

Thoughts?
    The bullpen is worlds better than last year. We would have won at least 15 more games last year if we had had the bullpen of 2002/2003. The starting pitching is slightly better. I have to admit having Ortiz and Paul Wilson is much better than Haynes and Paul Wilson. I think DanO has done a B- right now with an A coming if he gets a good number 2 pitcher (Number 1 for us).
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Another for what it's worth:

Steve Kline signed with the Orioles. It's a two-year, $5.5M contract. He gets $2.5M in 2005, and $3M in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by iammrred
    Let's say DOB lands someone like Millwood and signs Jimenez. What would you give him for a grade for the offseason?
    Since 15fan is MIA, I guess I'll have to channel him ....

Millwood = Blech!

Of course, when your current rotation is full of BLECH!!!, I guess plain old Blech! is an improvement.

Turn Off Ads?