Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kent Mercker signs for 2 years

Re: Kent Mercker signs for 2 years

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    I predict Loaiza will be the next for DanO to sign.
    If DJ is non-tendered, I could see it for sure. I might not like it but it would seem like what he has often targeted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Since Weathers was signed for $1.25M, I am guessing 2 years for $2.75M

For what it's worth (which is probably nothing but comparison's sake):

Justin Speier signed a $4.15M, two-year deal with Toronto today. He is RH, 31, and last year was 3-8 with a 3.91 ERA for the Blue Jays. Had 7 saves in 62 appearances.

I'm telling you now.....the Reds will tender Jiminez a contract. There is money to spend.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Glenn Braggs

There is the veteran leadership O'Brien wanted:

Mercker: age 36
    Weathers: age 35
    Weber: age 35

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    I'm telling you now.....the Reds will tender Jiminez a contract. There is money to spend.
    I agree. Jiminez is too important to this club. There is money to spend. We were apparently a player for Matt Clement and Dan O'Brien has said that there are other offers on the table to players but won't say who they are.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty
    I also believe he will be tendered a contract, I just think the chances of us adding someone (espicially if we are talking a guy like Millwood) being much greater if DJ isnt tendered a contract. I'll believe the extra cash when I see it spent, I hope it will be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Let's stop talking about those people and shun them as they deserve.

Joey is a Red for life. I really don't care if there are people that don't like it.

Why?
    One reason is that a situational left hander wil only face 250-300 batters a year.

Give a guy 2 million bucks and that can be $8968 dollers per batter or $37,735 per inning (that's based on Merkers BF and IP as a Cub)

Lots of resources thrown at a guy who face about 3.5% of the batters faced in a season.

That's one way to look at it.

Another is that Merker had a good year last year as a LH situation releiver and the Reds didn't.

Here are the best LH relievers from last year in Rus Saved Above Average

And then the worst.
    Code:

LEFT HANDED PITCHERS
    INNINGS PITCHED BETWEEN 30 AND 100
    GAMES STARTED < 1
    ERA displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    ERA vs. the league average displayed only--not a sorting criteria
    BATTERS FACED < 300

RSAA                           RSAA      IP       GS       ERA      ERA      BFP    
    1    Ron Mahay                    19     67          0     2.55     2.08      290   
    T2   Mike Gonzalez                14     43.1        0     1.25     3.07      169   
    T2   Brian Shouse                 14     44.1        0     2.23     2.40      184   
    4    Steve Kline                  13     50.1        0     1.79     2.53      202   
    T5   Chris Hammond                12     53.2        0     2.68     1.95      224   
    T5   Kent Mercker                 12     53          0     2.55     1.77      223   
    7    Ray King                     11     62          0     2.61     1.70      248   
    8    Billy Wagner                 10     48.1        0     2.42     1.89      182   
    9    Jamie Walker                  9     64.2        0     3.20     1.44      277   
    T10  Eddie Guardado                7     45.1        0     2.78     1.86      176   
    T10  Trever Miller                 7     49          0     3.12     1.51      208   

SEASON

RSAA                           RSAA      IP       GS       ERA      ERA      BFP    
    1    Gabe White                  -19     59.2        0     6.94    -2.51      265   
    2    Javier Lopez                -11     40.2        0     7.52    -3.21      187   
    T3   Mike Matthews                -8     30          0     6.30    -1.99      137   
    T3   Felix Heredia                -8     38.2        0     6.28    -1.65      182   
    T3   Phil Norton                  -8     65.2        0     5.07     -.76      296   
    T6   John Grabow                  -7     61.2        0     5.11     -.79      286   
    T6   Steve Colyer                 -7     32          0     6.47    -1.83      147   
    T8   C.J. Nitkowski               -5     33          0     5.73    -1.29      160   
    T8   John Franco                  -5     46          0     5.28     -.97      207   
    T10  Matt Perisho                 -2     47          0     4.40     -.09      212   
    T10  Aaron Fultz                  -2     50          0     5.04     -.40      216   
    T10  Mike Gallo                   -2     49.1        0     4.74     -.43      223   
    T10  Arthur Rhodes                -2     38.2        0     5.12     -.48      182   
    T10  Brian Fuentes                -2     44.2        0     5.64    -1.33      201

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    I predict Loaiza will be the next for DanO to sign.
    Hey! That was my guess a couple weeks ago.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    How can you guys complain about this signing? You can't get a lefty with those numbers for nothing and you know it. If you want quality, you've got to pay.

Like someone in an earlier thread said, "Padilla is Spanish for pile of crap."

We get one of the better lefty relievers in the game and you complain about it?

Why?

I just think there are better things to spend money on.

He's averaged right around 50 IP and 225 batters faced per season the last three years. That's roughly 3% of the total innings the Reds will play this year.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Money Guesses?

IIRC Redread was willing to go 4 million to Kent a week ago.

I say 2.3
    For 2 years, just to clarify
    Not 4 million for 1 year.

That said, I'm pleasantly surprised that DanO was able to pull this off.
    I know that some will say that he's not worth the money on a rebuilding club (assuming he makes over 1 million), but this is a great signing, IMO. It will make the club much more bearable to watch.

Good work DanO You've had a pretty good offseason so far. Maybe not optimal, but a huge improvement from last year when you ignored all the clubs' problems. Nice to see him actually making an attempt to do something this year.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

But if you have the money, why not go for Mercker.

It is obvious now the Reds will spend some dollars. They have to be careful who they take.

But if they could lure a lefty like Odalis Perez or Eric Milton here, that would even bolster the rotation more and give the young arms competition for a couple of spots.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

In the Reds world of babystep improvements all I can say is: at least it's pitching!!!
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

AT least the Reds now have some veteran pitchers with a real track record of success in Mercker and Weathers. They are certainly a step up from Van Poppel, Norton, Jones, etc. I don't think you can have a bullpen of all young guys and this will give Wagner, Valentine, Coffey, etc a chance to mature at their own pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor
    I just think there are better things to spend money on.
    Like what?

I'd say the bullpen was a major problem for this team last year and this move definetly improves it. The pen cost us many a game last year and they are taking steps in the right direction to improve it.

Sure, go spend your money elsewhere. But it won't matter if the bullpen keeps blowing games.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Turn Off Ads?