Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reason #1002 to NOT own a cat

Reason #1002 to NOT own a cat

Mrs. Heeler (I won't claim him) has a white cat that she says has lots of personality. I say he's a pain in the :allovrjr: .

Today, I heard a loud crash in the living room. Above said cat comes flying out of the room with an "I didn't do it!" look on his face. I walked into the living room to find our joyous Christmas tree lying in the middle of the floor surrounded by an explosion of broken ornaments and pine needles. As I stood the tree back up, I realized that the lights had become a Gordian Knot of cords. The water from the base had also spilled out, nearly drowning 3 shirts and 2 nightgowns.

Yarggghhhh!!! What a mess. This was definately not on my list of things to do today.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Cruisin' for trouble

Re: Reason #1002 to NOT own a cat

The obvious answer is to electrify the tree. You're looking for results similar to National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Kidding, obviously, as we have two cats of our own who love to sleep under the tree.

When we had a live tree, I put a hefty hook in the ceiling to help hold the tree up.

Our cats would often get a wild hair and go climbing.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

My cat as a kid was in the tree when we came home once, he freaked and it fell.

Knowing my mom she cried and gave the poor guy away a week later (she once took a dog to the pond because it peed on her nice sofa)

My cats love our tree, play under and all that, but since they're 1/2 maine coon and 1/4 persian they're more land based and water enthuesd.

Thank god.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    (she once took a dog to the pond because it peed on her nice sofa)
    I hope you meant "pound" like "dog pound" rather than "pond" like "drowned the little sucker."

I'm actually suprised that this cat decided to climb the tree. It's not usually his style to go climbing. Exploring holes and such is usually his cup of tea. Our other cat is the climber, but she hasn't been in the tree, yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    I hope you meant "pound" like "dog pound" rather than "pond" like "drowned the little sucker."

I'm actually suprised that this cat decided to climb the tree. It's not usually his style to go climbing. Exploring holes and such is usually his cup of tea. Our other cat is the climber, but she hasn't been in the tree, yet.
    Yeah Pound.... not pond.

My sister still hasn't forgave her, though rabbits are smarter than that dog was.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    Mrs. Heeler (I won't claim him) has a white cat that she says has lots of personality. I say he's a pain in the :allovrjr: .

Today, I heard a loud crash in the living room. Above said cat comes flying out of the room with an "I didn't do it!" look on his face. I walked into the living room to find our joyous Christmas tree lying in the middle of the floor surrounded by an explosion of broken ornaments and pine needles. As I stood the tree back up, I realized that the lights had become a Gordian Knot of cords. The water from the base had also spilled out, nearly drowning 3 shirts and 2 nightgowns.

Yarggghhhh!!! What a mess. This was definately not on my list of things to do today.
    sound like a good reason to not have a christmas tree to me
    School's out. What did you expect?

We're lucky. These two just curl up and sleep under there. Kitty (R.I.P. after 18 years) used to swat the balls off.

Apparently one of the current cats takes the garland off TeamMorris' tree ..... but TB and I don't see it, so the cat gets the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    We're lucky. These two just curl up and sleep under there.
    That's how my kitties are. Larkin and Hershey love to nap under the tree, especially when the gifts are under there. It's so cute!! Hershey is a really old, calm cat, so he's good every day. Larkin, despite her usual wild and crazy personality, is such a good girl around the Christmas tree, except for the occasional swiping at ornaments on the lower branches.
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

Well, my Dad (who HATES cats) started to feed a kitten about a month ago. Said he didn't want to see it starve. Now she's adopted us - and is a real cutie... Has only climbed the Xmas tree once but another tree in the living room has been climbed more than a few times. Does anyone know when you can spade and declaw a kitten?
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    Well, my Dad (who HATES cats) started to feed a kitten about a month ago. Said he didn't want to see it starve. Now she's adopted us - and is a real cutie... Has only climbed the Xmas tree once but another tree in the living room has been climbed more than a few times. Does anyone know when you can spade and declaw a kitten?

Don't declaw.. please.... give me the jeebs.

Spay at 6 months or first sign of heat, the younger the better (since they have to cut inside)

You can spay a cat after 3 months I think. The longer you wait, the more it hurts them and the longer it takes to recover.

There is really no reason to de-claw, you just need to start trimming their nails when they are young (do it when they are sleepy) and make sure they have a scratching post. I haven't had any problems with my cats shredding stuff. If they scratch inappropriate place, just pick them up and take them to the scratching post. they'll get the idea.
    School's out. What did you expect?

My mom insisted on declawing Larkin when she was really little... It just broke my heart. She was in so much pain when she came home. I apologized to her profusely, but I still feel guilty about hurting her.

(That was about 3 years ago, so I'm sure she's forgiven us by now, but still...)
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

Some advice from your friendly neighborhood vet student. Traditional age for spaying is 6-8 months of age. You can have it done as early as 6-8 weeks. It can be done when they are in heat, but it does bleed more.

Some people are really against declawing...some are not. I have two declawed cats. It seems as though the northwest (WOY's territory) really seems to be against it. If there is any chance that the cat will be an indoor/outdoor cat, the claws must stay in. If she is to be an indoor only, it is up to you. If you do have her declawed, find somebody that uses a laser. It is a much less painful surgery with less risk of complications.

Vaccinations should start at 6-8 weeks with boosters every 4 months for a total of three series. After that, you should booster every 3 years. Heartworm preventative is a must if your cat will go outdoors. I would recommend it even if she stays inside. Mosquitos come in the house, too.

Good luck!!!

Future Reds All Star

Don't declaw...PLEEEEASE

I am guessing because of the thought of declawing that he/she will be an inside cat. The do happen to get out every now and then and will have no way to defend his/herself! Get a few squirt guns, and spray the little one when caucht scratching. They do learn! Our cats like the cheap cardboard scratch boxed you can pick up at pet stores and some grocery stores.

Turn Off Ads?