Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Best Post Ever on RedsZone

Re: The Best Post Ever on RedsZone

Baseball is powerful for how it makes us feel. If we choose to focus on the gluttony...then we will look at it with shame and disbelief, and disgust. That post by ORG created the image of the game that we love, and our ability to share that image, at least for today, creates the hope that we all have for it. it helps us recall those times when we were oblivious to the truths of the business. The truths were always ugly, it is only that we didnt know that made it pure. Reading that restored that beauty I remember when I watched the Reds as a kid.

Anyway....check out http://lovemyteam.com

If someone will post that message there I might be able to get in print down the road. I could easily copy it, but I feel like someone who knew him should choose to do it. Thanks, and Merry Christmas.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Rest In Peace
    Old Red

I also suggest that you take your own advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    You're freaking unbelievable. You don't know enough about baseball to even utter ORG's name, let alone criticize his knowledge of the game. He knew more about the game of baseball than you or I could ever hope to know in ten lifetimes. He had more passion and reverence for baseball's heritage and tradition that anyone this board has ever seen. Next time you start to open your trap about someone of which you know nothing about, do us all a favor and keep it to yourself. I'll stop now for fear of getting sent to the penalty box for a week over the holidays.
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Anything I post is the best post on redszone :mhcky21:

Thread Killer

A beautiful piece, and probably more true than any of us realize. As a college project, I set off to interview several former major league players in the central Ohio area. I didn't get very far before realizing I was at the tip of an incredibly HUGE molehill, but I did get to interview a man who was living in a nearby town who was the nephew of a former player. The player was George Kahler, he was a pitcher for the Indians in the 1910s. He died young, but he must have been one of the booky types....he kept a journal from his playing days. Now I won't glorify it, it was mostly unreadable. There were a few awesome passages, but I never found a way to get them on paper to suit myself. He did mention a lot of the nasty conditions though, and 24 hour train rides weren't uncommon apparently. I found out from his nephew that he was from a well to do family, so he may have been a little spoiled BEFORE he got to the show....how's that for a change?

Anyway, I'm too new to remember ORG, but please, if the man is gone, show him the respect he earned!

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    Thanks Coug.

GL
    Just trying to help
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

It is obvious that ORG knew this game from a child. My fondest memories are of Bench, Rose, Morgan, Perez just beating up NL pitching. It seems as though the game has been tainted since with money, prestige, and total butts playing the game. If I could only get back to my own innocence and forget the business side of this whole mess.

Old Red Guard we salute You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree thats a great post,but my favorite is the Santo Alcala spring traing trip from a few years back.

Turn Off Ads?