Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Time is the Revelator.

Re: Trailer: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

2. Turn Off Ads?

It should be creepy. I've always thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had an incredibly dark side to it, and I also always thought it was a bit odd that it was viewed as a children's movie.
    There's no earthly way of knowing
    Which direction we are going
    There's no knowing where we're rowing
    Or which way the river's flowing
    Is it raining? Is it snowing?
    Is a hurricane a-blowing?

Not a speck of light is showing
    So the danger must be growing
    Are the fires of hell a-glowing?
    Is the grisly reaper mowing?
    Yes, the danger must be growing
    'Cause the rowers keep on rowing
    And they're certainly not showing
    Any signs that they are slowing!
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 05-27-2005 at 12:38 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Allred
    I always thought that if a movie (like the Gene Wilder original) was based on a book then any future versions of the story would NOT be a remake of the movie but a new look at the original source material and from what I understand, "Charlie" will be far more faithful to the story than the first film, much like John Carpenter's "The Thing."
    Agree 100% Michael. As a fan of the book, this definately looks like it follows it more closely.

As for Hollywood's original ideas, almost all of our current horror movies are remakes of far superior Japanese films.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Thanks LVJ
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I like this trailer better than the first one. Thanks for sharing.
    /r/reds

It should be creepy. I've always thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had an incredibly dark side to it, and I also always thought it was a bit odd that it was viewed as a children's movie.
    Agreed. "And I don't have a big problem with remakes that are done well and use technology their benefit. Not that they should be done ad nauseum or only for profit.

I am very much looking forward to Peter Jackson's King Kong for instance - it's a remake of the 30's version - which is probably my all-time favorite movie since I was little. It'll just be a neat way of re-living the story and experience all over again instead of just watching the same film til the end of time. Ecspecially because Jackson's an up and coming, talented director with an appreciation for film on the level of Spielburg and Scorsese etc..., so I can dig that. It'll be fun to see.

Certain movies should never be remade.

Wizard of Oz, Willy Wonka, The Godfather(s), Braveheart ...... no touchie.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

tommycatluvsme

Trailer looks strange.

The movie starts tomorrow. Seems to be getting pretty good reviews.

I hate Johnny Depp in this and I've only seen the trailers!

Gene Wilder had a smart, sarcastic wit ...... Johnny's just creepy, Man!

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    Depp reminded me a little of Micheal Jackson. And Jackson and kids don't mix.

Thats what I thought last week when I saw the previews during Fantastic Four.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    It was a bit weird to me as well. The music was somewhat reminiscent of the "Silver Shamrock" jingle from "Halloween 3: Season of the Witch." I was torn between whether I was watching a trailer for some cheesy horror film or a U2 video where someone dubbed it over as a joke.

Does this one have the support of the Dahl estate?
    OMG...I thought I was the only person alive that still had that song emblazened into their subconscious:

"Onk-Unk-Onk-Unk-Onk-Unk...Three more-a days 'til Halloween...Sil-vuuuuuuur Shamrock!"

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    I hate Johnny Depp in this and I've only seen the trailers!

Gene Wilder had a smart, sarcastic wit ...... Johnny's just creepy, Man!
    The guy in the book WAS creepy
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    Depp reminded me a little of Micheal Jackson. And Jackson and kids don't mix.
    RBA, you zeroed in on Roger Ebert's main objection to the film, but you called it 6 months ago.

Ebert refers to Depp's characterization of Willy Wonka as a combination of MJ and Carol Burnett.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...VIEWS/50628001
    /r/reds

The real problem is that Depp looks too young for Willy Wonka in this movie - everything else about it looks like a fun movie to see - and I'll see it - but I always thought Willy Wonka was supposed to be an older, tired man ready to hand over his business to the most deserving child after years and years of work.

Depp looks like a teenager in this - and his character comes off as contrived and forced - it's a distraction.

Whatever with the Michael Jackson parallels - that's a stretch - but Depp just doesn't fit the part and it was a poor casting decision by Burton or whomever.

Hope to catch it soon though as it does look like a well done remake with some different twists so as not to be too predictable.

Turn Off Ads?