Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 59 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Eric Milton signs for 3 years/$25.5 million

Re: Eric Milton

I'm all about this signing.

Some people will complain about anything. So Milton's not the pitcher you wanted. He's not the guy I wanted either; that would be Clement. But Clement's off the market.

Hell, Garbage Men make more money than I do, but I wouldn't want to be one because the job stinks.

Consider that when you start crying that O'Brien didn't get Perez or whoever.
    Last edited by zombie-a-go-go; 12-27-2004 at 03:13 PM.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    Wheels, why are you so opposed to this signing?
    4.76 career ERA.

Tons of gopher balls to go along with Ortiz, who gives up tons of gopherballs.

43 of 'em last year.

Maybe Flyer's on to something about his WHIP, and the fact the GAB is HR neutral, but I'm sure the Reds payed a hefty price to get him.

Once again, calling the Reds cheap is a cop out. It's all about giving the money to the right people...

Milton ain't one of 'em.

Kudos to Carl, but a big ol' gas face goes out to Mr. O'Brien.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

CINCINNATI -- Cincinnati Reds general manager Dan O'Brien today announced the signing of free agent All-Star LHP Eric Milton to a 3-year contract, with the player holding an opt-out provision for the 2007 season. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Milton, 29, in his Major League career is 71-57 with a 4.76 ERA in 200 appearances, including 199 starts, for the Minnesota Twins and Philadelphia Phillies. In his previous 6 full seasons, he averaged 12 wins, 33 starts and 195 innings.

In 2001 he was named to the American League All-Star team. In 3 postseason appearances, all for the Twins in 2002 and 2003, Milton is 1-0 with a 1.65 ERA.

Against the Angels on September 11, 1999, Milton had a career-high 13 strikeouts while throwing the fifth no-hitter in Twins history.

Milton spent last season with the Phillies and went 14-6 with a 4.75 ERA in 34 starts. He led the staff in victories, starts, innings pitched (201.0) and strikeouts (161). In his first season in the National League, Milton ranked sixth in the circuit with a .700 winning percentage.

Milton is the sixth player acquired by the Reds since the club re-signed RHP Paul Wilson to a 2-year contract, with a club option for 2007, on November 30. RHP Ramon Ortiz was acquired from the Anaheim Angels on December 14, followed by the free-agent signings of RHP David Weathers and RHP Ben Weber on December 15, LHP Kent Mercker on December 20 and 3B Joe Randa on Tuesday. Also on Tuesday, the Reds avoided arbitration by agreeing to contract terms with starting 2B D'Angelo Jimenez, who in 2004 produced the best season of his big league career.

Also today, the Reds signed to a minor league contract and invited to Major League Spring Training camp 1B/OF Jacob Cruz. Cruz, 31, last season appeared in 96 games for the Reds and led the club's pinch hitters in hits, at bats and RBI. His .327 batting average with runners in scoring position was second-best among all Reds batters with at least 50 at bats.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21
    Carter,

I am 19 also and echo the same feelings. Other than the Griffey trade and sign, this is the biggest signing by the Reds I can clearly remember. It's a sad realization, but exciting that the front office is finally stepping up to the plate.

CF21, the Vaughn trade was exciting also, 99' happened by accident with a little Magic, 05' should be an exciting season, I was to young to really remember the 90' series, 95' was fun to watch but I was only 10. I am excited sure I would have loved to see the Reds put the money from Wilson, Ortiz, Milton in Clement and Perez. But come on, this is the Reds. Before this season they didn't show or express and signs of wanting to contend. To me, Dano did something Jimbo never did. He told the truth, remember when Dano sat down with Casey?

The guys last 4 complete seasons, he's won, 13, 15, 13 and 14 games, who wouldn't be happy with that? Give the guy and the organization a bit of a break here folks, I just don't think there is any way to please some of you. The front office goes and and makes some strides, and still people are upset, it's a lose lose for some of you no matter what. Someone will always twist out what the front office does as bad. Be optimistic, the team we love is now better than it was at the start of the off season, is that not a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by wheels
    the fact the GAB is HR neutral, but I'm sure the Reds payed a hefty price to get him.
    GABP plays as a slight HR park(~5% as I recall).

I think to see improvement in Milton(29 is about the right age to acquire ) he need a lowering of the HR rate and BB rate.
    Last edited by flyer85; 12-27-2004 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    What in the world makes you come to that conclusion? He showed improvement, esp. after the stint on the DL. I think he looks very good as a steady #4 pitcher.
    With three "Vets" ahead of him, he has to contend with Hudson and Claussen and with 2 pitchers who ripped up high A ball last year(Gardner looked solid in his AA stint as well) along with a prospect pitcher who struggled because of a torn tendon in his ankle while already having pitched a full season in AA before hand and could EASILY rebound quickly. If any one of them get hot by summer, you never know.

Harang is under pressure. He doesn't have Hudson's arm or Claussen's nastiness and we have not even mentioned Hancock. Just because he was "solid" last year, doesn't mean he was good or will he be in the rotation all season this year. I think the ideal rotation to start out with is Milton,Wilson,Ortiz,Claussen and Hudson. You put all your older,best talents into a pile and see the end result. Aaron simply doesn't have their ability. It may not happen out of spring, but the Ides of March are nearing for Harang.

Why are people so thrilled about this signing? Because they all recognize the name Eric Milton and his named has been attached to some hype in the past. I can't imagine how anyone who actually took the time to look up the guy's PERFORMANCE could be excited about him being signed for 3 years. Seriously, the guy has pitched 6 full seasons in the big leagues and has never had a good season. The closest he ever came was 2001 when he was slightly above average.

Just like the other moves that have been made this offseason, this move confirms even more that these are the types of players DanO and Hn Allen honestly think are steps in the right direction.

This one isn't THAT bad if the price tag is only $4mm per. But it's not one that's going to get me excited.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan the Reds Fan
    The guys last 4 complete seasons, he's won, 13, 15, 13 and 14 games, who wouldn't be happy with that?
    Forget the wins. Jimmah once won 15 for the Reds.

He has some upside and is known to have "good stuff". His performance has never matched his talent to this point. Hopefully the Reds didn't pay too much.

If you're just going by his record to make yourself happy, that's fine with me, but if you look at all of the other peripherals, it's not such a rosey picture.

Maybe I'd be happier if I didn't pay attention to that stuff.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Good signing, and he comes cheap if early reports are correct. The gopher balls are disturbing, but he has maintained a good whip throughout his career. The days of sub-4 era's from two or three pitchers on a staff are over, for most teams. The Phillies were not especially good last year, and he managed 14 wins. I would be ecstatic with just a slight improvement on his numbers in 2005. A good mentor for Claussen too. Milton could keep the club in a lot of games, eat innings and keep the older bullpen fresh during stretches when we need it. Not too shabby.

You people are freaking unbelievable. You ***** about every signing the Reds make. You ***** that they do nothing. You ***** that the offseason is a failure because they didn't upgrade the starting pitching. When they do upgrade the starting pitching with a nice, proven Major League pitcher what do you do? *****.

You guys could find something in the Bible and complain about it.

Unreal.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    Why are people so thrilled about this signing? Because they all recognize the name Eric Milton and his named has been attached to some hype in the past. I can't imagine how anyone who actually took the time to look up the guy's PERFORMANCE could be excited about him being signed for 3 years. Seriously, the guy has pitched 6 full seasons in the big leagues and has never had a good season. The closest he ever came was 2001 when he was slightly above average.

Just like the other moves that have been made this offseason, this move confirms even more that these are the types of players DanO and Hn Allen honestly think are steps in the right direction.

This one isn't THAT bad if the price tag is only $4mm per. But it's not one that's going to get me excited.
    He's 29. He's Left-Handed. He's a proven Winner.

The Reds are actually trying to contend. For my money, it's a lot better that what we have seen by the river the last several seasons.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Forget the wins. Jimmah once won 15 for the Reds.

He has some upside and is known to have "good stuff". His performance has never matched his talent to this point. Hopefully the Reds didn't pay too much.
    I think the key word here is once

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?