Turn Off Ads?
Page 51 of 59 FirstFirst ... 41474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread: Eric Milton signs for 3 years/$25.5 million

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Re: Eric Milton signs for 3 years/$25.5 million

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I've got no way of knowing of this, because I only watch and don't play pro ball, but I think that's a reaction they beat out of you once they start paying you money for the playing the game.

I think for the vast majority of players the rule is you don't run unless you're told to run.

I guess whether you've got a short or long windup would have a lot to do with it. If you kick your foot over your head and reach back to Hudson Bay in your windup, then you probably can't do that with a runner on base. I've never paid that much attention to the length of Milton's windup, so I don't know if it's something he could get away with.

Though tr makes a good point. Perhaps it's a slide step thing and that what Milton needs to do is take a more definitve step toward the plate when he's in the stretch. He needs to do something, that's for sure.

tr, just phrasing it in Strat terms, Milton's been a -6 hold guy for a lot of his career. I'd be all for turning him into a +3 if it meant taking a serious chunk out of his countout.
    Yea, I looked that up but didn't mention it because you gave me such a hard time for using strat fielding ratings to support Castro's fielding ability one time.
    :mhcky21:
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's what I was thinking, he should do away with the slide step. Actually, he shouldn't worry at all about his leg kick. If you take your time, and use the same leg lift as you do in the windup, the difference isn't that great.

Another thing to consider is the lack of concentration on the actual pitch if he's worried about the runner. If he's thinking about the runner, he's probably not focused in on the location of the pitch. There's a good chance he just rears back and throws it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    110 PF in 2004, 114 in 2003 for HR's

Index of 92 for Runs in those 2 years.
    I think the general summary of GAB is that it will give up the cheap homer, but that is more than made up by the small gaps that reduces the number of doubles and triples. A good WHIP history, even with the propensity for the long ball, may save a few runs for Milton when pitching at home.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I must be missing something here, because I've always thought the second a pitcher goes into a wind up, a runner on first is automatically supposed to take off for second. In other words, every single time a guy reached first base, he'd automatically steal second on the first pitch with 100% success. The same for third. If a pitcher goes into a full windup, even Sean Casey couldn't possibly be thrown out. So why wouldn't teams just steal every time they reached base?
    100% success? Slightly embellishing, I realize, but is a windup really that much longer than the stretch? I guess it would depend on the leg kick, but even so, with the exception of Hideo Nomo's freeze frame mid-windup, I can't imagine it being so much longer that it would create astronomical increases in base stealing efficiency and results.
    "I'm a Cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. I'm a cucumber, I'm a cucumber. Please don't send me to the pickle farm, bum." - Brak

Record In Games Attended, 2007: 2-1 (1-0 GAB, 1-1 Jake)

Anyone know when the stretch became common? It was mandatory by the time I started watching the game in the early 70s, but I'm not sure it was an industry standard prior to the 60s. I could swear I read something on Bob Feller once which mentioned that he never threw out of the stretch and thought modern pitchers should give it up.
    Wait until the year after next year.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Anyone know when the stretch became common? It was mandatory by the time I started watching the game in the early 70s, but I'm not sure it was an industry standard prior to the 60s. I could swear I read something on Bob Feller once which mentioned that he never threw out of the stretch and thought modern pitchers should give it up.
    It's been around for awhile and is mentioned in this article.

Klinger, pitching from the stretch, failed to hold Slaughter, who'd been given a steal sign from Dyer. Walker then dumped a soft hit behind shortstop that dropped in front of center fielder Leon Culberson, who then lofted a rainbow throw to cutoff man Pesky.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...finish?pg=full

From the 1929 Spalding Guide

Great post, westofyou.

Milton's leg kick doesn't look that high but it does look slow which should be a problem being left handed. The thing that looks odd to me his his balance when he lands off the mound. He snaps back so quick to get ready to field the ball it looks very hard on his legs and knees and you would think it would hurt him in tring to repeat his delivery. He finishes so stiff and upright.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

From the Hardball Times.

*** Eric Milton | Cincinnati Reds | three years | $25.5 million ***

As someone who has watched about 75% of Eric Milton's 199 career big-league starts, this contract is astonishing to me. Throughout his six seasons in Minnesota and his lone season in Philadelphia, Milton has always been a guy whose stuff and potential never quite matched up with his actual performance. He's a rare lefty with a power fastball and he has excellent offspeed stuff, but he's got a major propensity to serve up long balls on a platter and his career ERA is a thoroughly mediocre 4.76. In fact, once you adjust for ballparks and leagues, Milton's ERA in 1,188.1 innings in the major leagues has been about 1% worse than league average, including 9% and 10% worse than league average in his past two full seasons.

There are worse guys to have in your starting rotation, but Milton is what he is at this point. He'll be 29 in 2005, has never really had a great season, and is coming off a year in which he gave up 43 homers and 110 runs in 201 innings with the Phillies. People have been quick to point out that Philadelphia's new ballpark played as a great place to hit homers last year, which is true, but Milton actually gave up more dingers on the road than at home (one homer every 19.8 at-bats at home, one homer every 16.2 at-bats on the road). Plus, he now moves to the Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati, another long-ball factory.

In addition to the home run problems, another thing that has plagued Milton has been his pitching with runners on base. He held batters to .231/.298/.458 with no one on base this year, but allowed them to smack him around to the tune of .297/.347/.555 with runners on (a difference of about 19%). And this wasn't just a one-year thing, it was an often-discussed problem during his days with the Twins as well. For his entire career, Milton has allowed a .234 batting average with none on and a .298 batting average with runners on.

Here's what he's done over the past three seasons:
    2002-2004 AVG OBP SLG OPS GPA AB/HRNone On .220 .270 .403 .673 .222 25.3Runners On .320 .357 .564 .921 .302 17.5If the Reds are fortunate enough that Milton's knee injury that sidelined him for nearly all of the 2003 season doesn't act up again, there's a pretty good chance he will give up 350 runs and 120 homers over the life of this contract. The good news is that he'll supply the fans in the outfield seats at the Great American Ballpark with plenty of souvenirs.

*** Matt Clement | Boston Red Sox | three years | $25.5 million ***

How Milton and Matt Clement end up with indentical contracts in the same offseason is beyond me. Consider their numbers over the past three years:
    2002-04 IP ERA AVG OBP SLG OPSClement 587.2 3.80 .223 .306 .360 .666Milton 389.0 4.70 .256 .303 .461 .763Milton missed nearly the entire 2003 season, while Clement has thrown 205, 201.2, and 181 innings in the past three years, and a total of 198.2 more innings than Milton over that span. Clement's ERA is nearly an entire run lower, his batting average against is 15% better, and his slugging percentage against is 28% better. The one area they are even in is on-base percentage against, mostly because Clement is a power pitcher while Milton doesn't walk anyone, but their OPS against shows Clement with a 15% edge.

Clement is a fine replacement for Pedro Martinez, who signed with the Mets for four years and $53 million last month. I'll even go as far as saying that I won't be at all surprised if Clement is more valuable than Martinez over the next three years. Though Red Sox fans may never realize it because of their memories of Martinez, swapping him for Clement while saving an extra year commitment and $27.5 million (and getting a pitcher who is three years younger) is an outstanding move by Boston and making the very best of a difficult situation.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Plus, he now moves to the Great American Ballpark in Cincinnati, another long-ball factory.
    Care to tackle this, FCB?
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

after watching a couple more of Milton's starts he looked smoother in his last couple verses his 12 strike out game. It looked like in that game he was just letting it fly. But it looks like Milton throws 80-90% fastballs and when he needs a strike he seems to throw it right there on a tee for the hitter. The two games I watched today where the last two of the season and he gave up in one game 3 hits 4 runs in the other 4 hits 4 runs. Three two run homers and a double high of the wall scoring two runs. One of the homers was a get a head fastball with a speedy runner on 1st. The other homers and the double I beleive he was either 3-1 or 3-2 on the hitters and instead of tring to throw something off speed to get the strike out he just said here it is and they smacked it. It looks like he gets almost all of his strikeouts on the fastball. I think he needs to use his changeup and curve ball alittle more. More so when he gets behind on the hitter because they are sitting on his fastball and know they are going to get it.

Make America Stupid Again RFS62's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I must be missing something here, because I've always thought the second a pitcher goes into a wind up, a runner on first is automatically supposed to take off for second. In other words, every single time a guy reached first base, he'd automatically steal second on the first pitch with 100% success. The same for third. If a pitcher goes into a full windup, even Sean Casey couldn't possibly be thrown out. So why wouldn't teams just steal every time they reached base?

You're not missing anything.

The stretch evolved into a slide step, all in an effort to cut down the time to home plate.

EVERY major league team, and EVERY minor league team, and EVERY college program and most likely EVERY high school program of any regard times the pitchers move to the plate. They also time the catchers throw to second. The decision to run is aided by the knowledge of those numbers vs. the time you already know it takes your runner to get to second.

Milton is not going to abandon the stretch.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

I don't care what he does to figure out how to improve what hitters do against him with runners on base. If its throw more offspeed pitches, worry less about the baserunner, whatever the glitch is. Since he has the ability to get a K, this is an area that would go far to help him perform better. Hopefully, he can think of $25M reasons not to be hard headed about it.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Re: Eric Milton

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    Good lord. What a waste of cash.
    As long as we're having fun with old threads... (1st page, 12th post)

Steel let me just give you a big ole hearty slap on the backside for this one.

Didn't take you long to run the statistical analysis on this one, did it?
    Last edited by WMR; 09-20-2006 at 11:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Turn Off Ads?