Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ayn Rand Institute: US Gov. Shouldn't Help Tsunami Victims

Re: Ayn Rand Institute: US Gov. Shouldn't Help Tsunami Victims

What gets me is why no one tapped Holcberg on the shoulder and said, "You know Dave, you're a great guy and we're here for you. We've got a great cause. We look out for the taxpayer. We do a public service. But do you think this is the time to do a piece against foreign aid. I mean 140,000 people are dead and millions are starving. And your piece makes us all out to be inhuman Darwinist idiots."

"You haven't been in the sun since you've been here, Dave. Got out and meet someone."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MuEconRedLeg
    Aye Comrade Traderumor. :mhcky21:

Budget hawks of all shapes and sizes are critical of governmental overspending of all types. Personally, I think we should critically look at every dollar that leaves Washington.

Its not wrong to question the exsistance of a standing army and perhaps the government should be more careful when it comes to foreign affairs.
    This piece's purpose wasn't merely to provoke thought and illicit discussion, it was proposing that a certain type of governmental spending is wrong all the time. As you said, its a philosophy. But, since your proposing this as merely a re-evaluation of spending, I'm more worried about the government's domestic pork-barrell spending than I am about sending some aid to help folks who have the stench of rotting flesh fresh in their noses after a natural disaster.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

This piece's purpose wasn't merely to provoke thought and illicit discussion, it was proposing that a certain type of governmental spending is wrong all the time. As you said, its a philosophy. But, since your proposing this as merely a re-evaluation of spending, I'm more worried about the government's domestic pork-barrell spending than I am about sending some aid to help folks who have the stench of rotting flesh fresh in their noses after a natural disaster.
    Maybe its purpose was to target a specific type of spending. But, that does not mean we should not view it as thought provoking. It is also important to understand the framework the author was coming from and that many people (to an extent myself) feel that governmental taxing and spending is wrong and against a set of values.

Furthermore, this article should not be used to attack Ayn Rand or the objectivist philosophy, particularly if the context is not understood. Even though the article is in poor taste.

But, we do have some common ground I would much rather see tax money going to aid those who are suffering than something like economic development.

Quote Originally Posted by MuEconRedLeg
    Maybe its purpose was to target a specific type of spending. But, that does not mean we should not view it as thought provoking. It is also important to understand the framework the author was coming from and that many people (to an extent myself) feel that governmental taxing and spending is wrong and against a set of values.

Furthermore, this article should not be used to attack Ayn Rand or the objectivist philosophy, particularly if the context is not understood. Even though the article is in poor taste.

But, we do have some common ground I would much rather see tax money going to aid those who are suffering than something like economic development.
    Are you a religious man MuEconRedLeg? I've often wondered how objectivists can be Christian (or any other denomination), since I've known a couple of people who espouse both beliefs.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Are you a religious man MuEconRedLeg? I've often wondered how objectivists can be Christian (or any other denomination), since I've known a couple of people who espouse both beliefs.
    I am Relgious.

I do not consider myself an objectivist or an Ayn Rand follower. I have studied all of her writings and enjoy them, but philosophically/Religiously I am more Baptist and politically much more Friedman.

I do think that she is a fascinating figure and brings many important points to light. But, much like Marx, people (for and against) pick tidbits of her teachings and rail on them or quote them without looking at the whole or presenting any real substance. Bluntly, I like to play Devil's Advocate and defend her work.

As far as an objectivist being religious that would be a tough sell. Considering that faith is one of the big evils in Rand's writings. But, many pillars of objectivism and the Protestant Work Ethic are similar, and none of Ayn Rand's writings say be an evil person it only says take care of you before you help others and you should not be forced to do so.

I don’t think it is a stretch to respect and incorporate some of her teaching and be religious, but it would be a stretch to be a whole hog objectivist.

Wasn't it Crowley who esposued "Do what thou wilt?".
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Wasn't it Crowley who esposued "Do what thou wilt?".
    Yep

Turn Off Ads?