Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Where did you come from?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Where did you come from?

ESPN boards. Don't really remember how I made the jump, but it started going downhill big time in 2004.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I used to jump around from board to board, Cincy.com, Fastball.com, DTFS, CBSSportsline, etc. When this place was born, I naturally started coming here too...eventually, I just stopped going to the other boards.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

From a Reds.com reference in mid '06...thought I knew about "my" team and a little about baseball...learn everyday from here that I knew very little about baseball and start my long-distance, online Reds day here every day.

You cannot defeat an ignorant man in an argument!
    -William Gibbs McAdoo

Though many of us here are sure trying

I lurked for awhile at SoSH where I heard of RedsZone and since the Reds have always been my favorite team I came wandering over here.

My son, XRedsfan07, told me about it. Then I got here and realized I knew Paintsmered from church. Now I'm hooked.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

My brother smith288. I was once the learner, now I am the Master.
    Witty signature.

I guess you could say that those of us that came fron Cincy.com were pulled here in a little red wagon.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

cincy.com One of the originals, but rarely post anymore. Hard to believe it has been this long.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deepred05 View Post
    cincy.com One of the originals, but rarely post anymore. Hard to believe it has been this long.
    I thought my average of 1.5 posts per day over almost 8 years was low...yours is absolutely exiguous!

Many attempts to communicate are nullified by saying too much.
    --Robert Greenleaf

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    I thought my average of 1.5 posts per day over almost 8 years was low...yours is absolutely exiguous!

Many attempts to communicate are nullified by saying too much.
    --Robert Greenleaf
    Always heard that those who talk the most, usually have the least to say.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    My brother smith288. I was once the learner, now I am the Master.
    You're related to smitty? We feel your pain.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

cinci.com. ever since boss invited me to switch over, the yankees have failed to win a world series.

you're welcome.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    cinci.com. ever since boss invited me to switch over, the yankees have failed to win a world series.

you're welcome.
    Oh, it's your fault, is it! Curse you, chili!

I was doing research for a written piece on Eric Davis and tried for weeks and weeks to find out what the count was when he hit his home run in the first inning of the 1990 World Series. Libraries, bookstores, online resources -- I could not get this information anywhere in the world. Googled Reds message board, ended up here, posted my question and had an answer within five minutes (from westofyou).

I lurk on a Yankees board, but this is the only one I've ever read regularly and posted on before. My post count is disgusting, something like six per day. There was a time when I had no access to Reds on radio or television and I think it was the dang game threads that ate up my time for a while. I totally could have saved the world by now; instead, I can give accurate stats regarding Jeff Keppinger. Six of one, I suppose.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I came from the Aol.com board, Gallen5862 invited me over here. The AOL board was really going downhill very quickly, there was more time spent going at each other's throats than discussing baseball.

I started out on visiting the usenet group alt.sports.baseball.cinci-reds back from 1995-2000 or so. I stopped checking it when some of the more knowledgeable posters left and it became a haven for spam and flame wars. Wandered around for a few years, mostly checking Enquirer.com for news but rarely checking message boards. Then one day I either did a search or was cruising yahoo's old directory set up and found a link to Redszone. Checked it out and have been visiting ever since.

There was a poster who used to post a ton on the usenet and I always wondered if he ever found his way here. This was in the naive days when people would post using their real names, so I'll just say his name was Geoff to avoid posting a full name in case he's a poster here who wishes to maintain some anonymity these days.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 01-06-2008 at 03:41 PM.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Turn Off Ads?