Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time Travel: Will it ever be possible? Where and when would you go?

Time Travel: Will it ever be possible? Where and when would you go?

I really don't think it will ever be possible. Wouldn't someone from the future have came back and let the secret out in the past if it were possible?

If time travel were possible, what places and times would you most want to visit? Would you attempt to change anything in your own life?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Time Travel: Will it ever be possible? Where and when would you go?

April 18, 1775. I want to know who fired the shot.

I'd be present in 1963 when JFK was shot to know FOR SURE what happened.

I'd want to be at the Seabiscuit - War Admiral match race.

I'd attend one game at Ebbets field.

Of course there's things I change about my own life, but nothing major. MOre than anything I think I'd savor the simpler times a lot more. I'd appreciate the different stages of my life more.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I would want to visit each era just to get a feel for different lifestyles, different priorities. I am most intrigued by the Medieval period, however. Watching the creation of the world would be pretty cool, too I guess.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

I'd go into the future to see what else mankind can screw up, I'd then go to certain historical events in the past to see what really went on, JFK RFK and MLK assassinations for starters.
    Go Gators!

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I'd go back to the Gilded Age, sometime in the 1870's, and use my knowledge of History to make sure I lived a happy life and spend the rest of my days watching America grow into what it is today.

I'd go back to work yesterday and tell that guy that the jerk store called and they are running out of him.

I don't believe that time travel will ever be possible, and if it was possible it would then be virtually impossible not to tamper with history. But if I could travel back in time.............
    I'd somehow persuade my father not to leave for work exactly when he did than day in the autumn of 1974, thereby avoiding the car accident which crippled him and in the long run killed him.
    I'd visit with a lot of family and friends who have passed away, and this time I would more treasure the time spent with them.
    I'd not say or do the wrong thing, or fail to say or do the right thing.
    As for historical events........................
    As Traderumor posted, witnessing the creation of the world would be neat.
    I would visit the Galilee-Jerusalem area of about 2000 years ago, first to witness the birth of Jesus, then to sit at his feet and listen to His teachings, and finally to see His resurrection.
    I would witness William Wallace's victory over the English at Stirling in about 1295, and then watch Robert the Bruce secure Scottish independence with a victory near the same location in 1314 in the Battle of Bannockburn.
    I would visit and re-visit events surrounding the American Revolution, including the speeches of Patrick Henry, the midnight ride of Paul Revere, the "Shot heard 'round the world," the suffering in Valley Forge, and the triumph of Yorktown with the world "turned upside down." I would dine at least once at Mount Vernon with its owner.
    I would witness the debates over independence in 1776 and over ratification in 1787, then I would report on what the framers' original intent truly was.
    I would suggest to Abraham Lincoln that we not go to the play In April 1865.
    I would weep at the sacrifices at a thousand battlefields, from Bunker Hill to the Alamo to Omaha Beach, as I witness those battles. I would see the surprise and terror at Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941, I would fly with Doolittle's Raiders in 1942, Chuck Yeager would be my wingman in 1944-45, and I would witness the surrender ceremony on the deck of the Missouri on Sept. 2, 1945.
    I would be in Dallas on Nov. 22, 1963, unless I was somehow able to persuade JFK to go anywhere else.
    I would see Elvis Presley in concert in 1956 and I would see the Beatles in concert in 1964.
    I would try to persuade Buddy Holly, Patsy Cline, Jim Croce and a lot of other people not to fly.
    I would land with the Eagle in 1969.
    I'd try to persuade Elvis Presley to take up the Atkins diet.
    I'd tell Natalie Wood that her fear of dark water was entirely justified and she should stay away from the boat in the autumn of 1981.
    I would be at the Berlin Wall when it fell in 1989.
    Sports? I'd watch the 1869 Reds Stockings go undefeated; I'd see Ruth "call his shot" in the 1932 World Series; I would be at Crosley Field for the seventh game of the 1940 World Series; I would watch Ted Williams hit .400 with a 6 for 8 performance in the doubleheader to close the 1941 season; I'd witness Jackie Robinson's first game in 1947; I would see Bobby Thompson's HR to win the 1951 pennant; I would witness Brooklyn's game seven victory in the 1955 World Series; I would see Ted Williams homer in his final at bat in 1960; I would witness Sandy Koufax's perfect game in 1965 and his game seven shotout of the Twins a few weeks later; I would attend the Ice Bowl in Green Bay on Dec. 31, 1967; I would see Super Bowl three and the Jets win over the Colts; I would be at Fairfield Stadium when the Young Thundering Herd won the first game played after the plane crash; I would be at every postseason game played by the Big Red Machine, especially during 1975-76; I would be at the Indy 500 for Rick Mears's record tying fourth victory in 1991; and I would be telling Jim Bowden and Carl Lindner in Jan. 2000: "Yes, Junior is a great guy and a future Hall of Famer, but let's pass."
    Last edited by RedsBaron; 01-02-2005 at 07:32 AM.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I would journey about 10 years into the past, then make millions "writing" hit songs. I would also rule fantasy baseball and football leagues.

Watching the creation of the world would be pretty cool, too I guess.
    Where would you sit?
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 01-02-2005 at 09:38 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool

Where would you sit?
    Wherever God said.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I'd travel back 8 years and get my Dad to a different cancer Dr. We were told at the James Cancer Center, after we left the Dr who was treating him, that the form of cancer he died of could have been treated, and that there was a very good chance of putting it in remission. But it was too advanced at this stage.

Be an eye witness to the crucifixion.

Be at JFK in 1964 when the Beatles landed.

Be at the Dakota in 1980 ready for some nutcase.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I would take my eight year old back with me, July 2003 so he can say good bye to his mom before she died.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    I would take my eight year old back with me, July 2003 so he can say good bye to his mom before she died.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by macro
    I really don't think it will ever be possible. Wouldn't someone from the future have came back and let the secret out in the past if it were possible?
    If time is immutable, then travel through it would only be possible into the future. (Technically, we're time-traveling right now.) At best you might be able to 'open a window' and see something, but stepping through that window would be impossible; in the past you didn't exist, therefore could not exist.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

you ever really look at you hand, man?
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

I'd just want to go back a couple of weeks - the morning of 12/10/04, to be exact.

I'd call in sick to the office, then just sit & wait with my 357 Magnum for the burglar to crawl through my kitchen window.

It wouldn't be pretty.

But there'd be one less piece of trash floating around society.

Turn Off Ads?