Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Hell Freezes Over Again

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hell Freezes Over Again

Bengals are up 31-3 in the most meaningless game of the season. Jeff Blake started the second half and threw an interception returned by Robert Geathers(DE) for a TD.

I feel like im watching the roles being reversed.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

For a Level Playing Field

Re: Hell Freezes Over Again

38-3 now. Right now the Bengals have scored 374 points this season and have given up 365 points. Beating up on the NFC's best team (w/ 2nd stringers) might mean more than just a .500 record for the Bengals.

Well at least we are better than the Eagles JV squad

Yes, our first string is better than the Eagles scrubs. Woo hoo!

Other observations:

We played all our regulars, not one injury. The Eagles are trying to sit their boys and have had two possible injuries. Go figure.

I didn't know it was possible for two men to discuss whether or not you should play your regulars when you have home field advantage clinched for going on three hours, and counting :deadhorse

And Steve Tasker is one of the worst announcers ever.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Agree, although I did find him to be somewhat more acceptable compared to last season against Pittsburgh. I thought I was going to break things.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Yes, our first string is better than the Eagles scrubs. Woo hoo!

Other observations:

We played all our regulars, not one injury. The Eagles are trying to sit their boys and have had two possible injuries. Go figure.
    Actually, Jon Kitna is not a Bengals regular.

Also, I was under the impression that Philadelphia was resting its "stars", not the entire first string squad.

I was pleased with the way the Bengals played today, partial second string or not. At least they annihilated them and didn't get beat!
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

We played all our regulars, not one injury.
    Strange.

I didn't see Carson Palmer, Peter Warrick, Rich Braham, Chris Perry, Tony Williams, Langston Moore, Matthias Askew, Nate Webster, Rashad Bauman, or Rogers Beckett. That's six opening day starters and several key reserves.

The Bengals put a franchise record EIGHTEEN guys on injured reserve this year. I'd hardly say that qualifies as 'not one injury'.

Well true...but in this game...not one injury

I think that was his point.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    Strange.

I didn't see Carson Palmer, Peter Warrick, Rich Braham, Chris Perry, Tony Williams, Langston Moore, Matthias Askew, Nate Webster, Rashad Bauman, or Rogers Beckett. That's six opening day starters and several key reserves.

The Bengals put a franchise record EIGHTEEN guys on injured reserve this year. I'd hardly say that qualifies as 'not one injury'.
    Dang, Steve, its been awhile. Glad to see you're back to enlighten me.

Yes, I was talking about this game. Geesh.

He's Cicero compared to Don Criqui.

They've been getting assigned to nothing but Bengals games for three years, and you know what that means.

Still, Sports Illustrated's Dr. Z gave them two stars in his most recent TV Commentator Rankings; same as Dierdorf/Enberg. (Methinks the good doctor has been leaving the cap off the ether bottle.)

Makes all the routine posts.

Well, if that is the criteria then the Eagles didn't have any injuries either.

The fact remains that the Bengals were missing their starting QB, slot receiver, center, DT, MLB, strong safety and a number of key reserves who are in the playing rotation. That list rivals the number of guys the Eagles were missing due to injuries and being rested.

traderumor, no offense intended, but my point was the Bengals were missing just as many starters as the Eagles, and neither team had a major injury during the game.

How does that equate to the Bengals first string beating their scrubs?

The Bengals have been playing their second stringers for most of the season. Many of those second stringers (Housh, Madieu, Ratliff, Geathers, Langston Moore, Landon Johnson) have been very good players for the Bengals this year, just like many of the Eagles 'scrubs' are very good players who didn't get a lot of playing time because the Eagles have been relatively healthy this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192
    traderumor, no offense intended, but my point was the Bengals were missing just as many starters as the Eagles, and neither team had a major injury during the game.

How does that equate to the Bengals first string beating their scrubs?

The Bengals have been playing their second stringers for most of the season. Many of those second stringers (Housh, Madieu, Ratliff, Geathers, Langston Moore, Landon Johnson) have been very good players for the Bengals this year, just like many of the Eagles 'scrubs' are very good players who didn't get a lot of playing time because the Eagles have been relatively healthy this year.
    None of those players you mentioned for the Bengals are second stringers, but are young and worked their way into the system over the course of the year, some of it due to injuries, but they stayed on the field when the regulars got healthy also. It was pretty apparent that the Eagles we played today were not the Eagles that will play in the playoffs. The Bengals were not missing any key player except Palmer. Yes, they kicked the Eagles' butts today, but with PRIMARILY our regulars on the field while many of their key studs wore ponchos. I am not minimizing the Bengals win, just not making it out to be we beat their best with our best. The injuries you mentioned are a factor for earlier games before the young guys came into their own, but not today's, except Palmer.

Turn Off Ads?