Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: al-Zaraqwi reportedly captured in Iraq

Retired

al-Zaraqwi reportedly captured in Iraq

At this point US officials are denying it, but many wire and news services have picked up the story.

Abu Mus'ab al-Zarqawi, whom the US occupation authorities declared to be the "target number one" in Iraq, has been arrested in the city of Baakuba, the Emirate newspaper al-Bayane reported on Tuesday referring to Kurdish sources.

Al-Zarqawi, leader of the terrorist group Al-Tawhid Wa'al-Jihad, was recently appointed the director of the Al-Qaeda organisation in Iraq.

The newspaper's correspondent in Baghdad points out that a report on the seizure of the terrorist, on whom the US put a bounty of US$10 million, was also reported by Iraqi Kurdistan radio, which at one time had been the first to announce the arrest of Saddam Hussein.

Abu Musab al-Zarqawi was captured in Iraq, said Tuesday's Al Bayan, a daily newspaper of the United Arab Emirates (UAE).[file]
    There have been no official reports about the arrest of the terrorist. Al-Zarqawi, 38, a Jordanian, whose real name is Ahmad al-Khalayleh, aims to turn Iraq into a "new Afghanistan".

According to Arab press data, Al-Tawhid Wa'al-Jihad group has divided Iraq into several emirates. The group's independent subdivisions at a strength of 50 to 500 militants operate in the cities of Al-Falluja, Al-Qaim, Diala, and Samarra.

The personnel of the group is on the whole 1,500-strong and includes Iraqis and citizens of Arab and Islamic countries. There are demolition experts and missilemen among them.

The group has depots of weapons and explosives in various parts of the country. It intends to frustrate the upcoming parliamentary elections that are scheduled for the end of this month. Al-Tawhid Wa'al-Jihad threatens to do away with Iraqi Prime Minister Ayad Allawi and members of the interim government.
    Here is the link. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english...ent_405831.htm

Drudge is reporting the same thing, as is several arab newspapers, TV and radio stations. Hopefully it's true.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: al-Zaraqwi reportedly captured in Iraq

If true, this is a great thing.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

What a relief this would be.

I hope it is true. I almost would be in favor of (1) cutting off his head and (2) then giving him a fair trial. ( I said "almost")
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I would be.

For a Level Playing Field

Cut his darn head off!

No wait, better yet... bury him alive in pig remains.

No, even better... lock him up at Gitmo. For the rest of his life. And let us hear stories from the Red Cross about his inhumane treatment. The more stories from the Red Cross about his inhumane treatment, the better.

I am still not convinced of this story. I hate to be skeptical, but who wouldn't be. I hope it is true. Please be true.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    I hope it is true. Please be true.
    Word.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

This would be the third time that this has been reported. I hope this time that it's true!
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

It'll certainly be a good thing when he's brought to justice.

But if anyone thinks this'll change anything in Iraq they're mistaken.

Remember when all the insurgent violence was going to stop after we caught Saddam? That worked out.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful

Remember when all the insurgent violence was going to stop after we caught Saddam? That worked out.
    That's a very good point, RF. The killings will not stop anytime soon. When one of them gets taken out, there are dozens more to take their place.

Roll your eyes if you want, but that won't stop the insurgents/terrorists (or whatever word their using to describe them).

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I hope it is true. I almost would be in favor of (1) cutting off his head and (2) then giving him a fair trial. ( I said "almost")
    You're a lawyer after my own heart! And maybe they should televise it.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful

And yet some of you tried to make a big thing out of our failure to capture Bin Laden.

I don't think anyone has contended that capturing Abu Mus'ab al-Zarqawi would end the insurgency. But it sure is a victory, and a step in the right direction, if not a moral victory for our troops. If it true, we'll have to wait and see how it may have any effect on that insurgency. Time will tell.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

It's always good to get scum off the street. Capturing/Killing of Bin Laden would have a far more effect on the morale of the American People, our soldiers, and the rest of the free world.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    And yet some of you tried to make a big thing out of our failure to capture Bin Laden.
    I don't want Osama Bin Laden captured because I think it'll make Iraq a better situation. I want him captured, tried, and executed because he murdered 3,000 Americans on 9/11.

But doing so isn't going to do much when it comes to Iraq, and it probably wouldn't do much with regards to terrorism either. There's always going to be someone else to step into a leadership role.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Turn Off Ads?