Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bengals Fire D-Coordinator Leslie Frazier

Bengals Fire D-Coordinator Leslie Frazier

I saw it on the ESPN tcker, but I haven't seen the story for it.

This is a good sign. This is something that wouldn't have happened prior to Marvin Lewis. He would have been allowed to stay for years. Hopefully the Bengals have built up enough credibility to bring in someone good.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bengals Fire D-Coordinator Leslie Frazier

Good point, MWM. His squad has been the weak link two years running and he is working in Marvin's area of expertise. Not surprising from a football standpoint, but is a different face for the Bengals, who let Kenny Anderson keep pretending like he knew what he was doing for years.

One thing that happened last offseason was that the guy from Oakland (name fails me) came in and it was believed that he was there to eventually take over, but I heard little more about it during the season. Anyone have anything to add on that?

Now, if the Reds could just use that philosophy with their staff (**Gullett**cough**cough**Gullett) :mhcky21:
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Thank GAWD!

:gac:
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Here is an article about the firing:

Bengals fire defensive coordinator

January 5, 2005
    CINCINNATI (AP) -- The Bengals fired defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier on Wednesday, the first change to coach Marvin Lewis' staff since their 8-8 finish.

Frazier was defensive coordinator in Lewis' first two seasons, when the defense's inability to stop the run was a glaring problem. Lewis said Monday that he expected all of his coordinators back next season.

However, Lewis announced Wednesday that he had decided not to offer Frazier a contract extension.

``I credit Leslie for his part in leading the defense to where it is today,'' Lewis said in a statement. ``But I see this as the time to move to another stage in our team's evolution.''

Lewis declined further comment.

Lewis came to Cincinnati with a reputation for defense -- he coordinated the unit that helped Baltimore win the Super Bowl in the 2000 season -- but the Bengals have struggled to stop opponents in his two seasons as head coach. They finished 28th in defense in 2003, and were 19th last season.

A rift between Lewis and Frazier surfaced during a 34-17 loss to Cleveland that left the Bengals 1-4. Lewis started calling some defensive plays during the game because of the poor performance. Lewis went back to letting Frazier run the unit after that game.

bengals.com
    Frazier won't return
    1-5-04, 12:05 p.m.
    BY GEOFF HOBSON

Head coach Marvin Lewis offered the first surprise of the Bengals’ offseason Wednesday when he announced that defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier won’t be signed to a new contract.

Two days after saying he didn’t anticipate changes at his three coordinator positions, Lewis said the defensive side is open with speculation centering solely on current Bengals assistant Chuck Bresnahan. Bresnahan came to Cincinnati this spring after a four-year run as the Raiders defensive coordinator that included a Super Bowl appearance.

“We are excited about the potential for our defense in 2005, as we had many young players show the ability to become impact performers,” Lewis said. “We are working to put in place the best possible staff for their continued development.

“I credit Leslie for his part in leading the defense to where it is today. But I see this as the time to move to another stage in our team’s evolution. Leslie has been a credit to our organization in every way.”

In Frazier's two seasons, the Bengals defense did make some big-time improvements, moving from No. 28 in the NFL last season to No. 19 this year and forcing their most turnovers in eight years with 36 that included a club-tying five defensive touchdowns. But they also dropped a spot against the rush, from 25 to 26.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Fanatic
    ``I credit Leslie for his part in leading the defense to where it is today,'' Lewis said in a statement.
    And no, that wasn't a compliment. :MandJ:
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go

Maybe the D can start bending but not breaking before the 8th game of the season next year.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Frazier is fuming after reading that little tid bit.

Two days after saying he didn’t anticipate changes at his three coordinator positions, Lewis said the defensive side is open with speculation centering solely on current Bengals assistant Chuck Bresnahan. Bresnahan came to Cincinnati this spring after a four-year run as the Raiders defensive coordinator that included a Super Bowl appearance.
    I like this if true. Bresnahan is a Gruden disciple, could be fun to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I gotta admit I'm shocked by this.

I know the defense wasn't good, but after they failed to get a veteran defensive tackle in free agency last year, I didn't expect much.

IMO, it was much more a talent issue than coaching. The D-line has a few "good, but not great" players - certainly no real stud - and the whole defense seemed to rely a lot on rookies (Geathers, L. Johnson, Williams, Ratliff), who all seemed to get better during the year. I wonder what Marvin expected from this unit, which featured a lot of the same players as last year.

Perhaps this will work out for the team, and I hope it does, but I am definitely surprised. Hopefully they will be able to upgrade the talent AND the coaching this offseason.

Perhaps there was a disagreement in "where to go from here" type meetings?

Turn Off Ads?