Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Face Transplants

Face Transplants

I watched a show on Discovery Health last night about face transplants...and I cried like a baby. There was a girl from Texas that was involved in an automobile accident when she was 19. She was hit by a drunk driver and her whole body was severely burned in the accident. Her face is totally disfigured. She was an absolutely beautiful girl. Now, she says she can't leave her house, its too painful for her to face the public. Her name is Jacqueline Saburido, if you want to do a google search and see before/after pictures ( I want to warn you that they are shocking and graphic). The girl has moved to Louisville because that is where the surgical expert team is located. There is hope that the first "face transplant" will take place this year.

It is highly controversial because they would be taking the face of a deceased person and transplanting it onto patients like Jacqueline.

Many feel this is not right because relatives of the deceased shouldn't have to "Face" one of their deceased family members on the street.

Surgeons on the team argue that if you take facial tissue off the face of the deceased and place it on another person with a different bone structure, the face might look similiar, but not exact.

I find this whole thing extrememly fascinating and am going to keep following this story. I hope that one day these people who have had their lives ruined because they can no longer "Face" the public, can have their lives back and improve their way of living from having these "face transplants".

I was just wanting to get your opinions on this as to whether you'd be for / against this procedure. I understand why relatives would be hesitant for their deceased family members to donate their faces to those that are still living, but it was reported in the show that 60% of the patients that have severe face disfigurement are no longer useful to society, they are shut in and never leave their house. That is truly sad. Something should be done for them, in my opinion, to improve their way of living and make them useful in society again.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Face Transplants

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Surgeons on the team argue that if you take facial tissue off the face of the deceased and place it on another person with a different bone structure, the face might look similiar, but not exact.
    Fact.

And anyone who would deny another living person the chance to regain a normal life because it might hurt their own feelings, or whatever, are far uglier than someone with a facial disfiguration.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Louisville's team has been working on this for some time. Their first success was an artificial facial transplant for a diabetic man whose face was literally eaten away by a fungus. Neat stuff. I really think this will help alot of people, and they should move full steam ahead. it will require more on the counseling, therapy end than other transplants, but its benefits are astronomical for the patient.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Nobody has anything to say about this other than Zombie and KYRedsFan???
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Face Off was a sweet movie.

If I die suddenly, I'm willing to donate my face. But, who would want it?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Progress is good. If the donor consents, what's not to like here?
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRed
    Face Off was a sweet movie.
    Cbus--

Can't you restrain yourself from posting if you have nothing to add to the conversation?
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Cbus--

Can't you restrain yourself from posting if you have nothing to add to the conversation?
    no.

Did you see the movie? It was about face transplants.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Progress is good. If the donor consents, what's not to like here?
    Face stealing comes to mind
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Face stealing comes to mind
    Yeah, i can see it now.. drunk college student wakes up in a bathtub of ice with his face gone.. :MandJ:

Turn Off Ads?