Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ladies and gentleman, your Democratic congressmen and women

Ladies and gentleman, your Democratic congressmen and women

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...WS01/501070325

Ohio votes will be challenged

By Carl Weiser
    Enquirer Washington Bureau

Ohio's 20 electoral votes for President Bush are expected to be challenged by a group of Democrats today in Congress - the first time since 1969 that anyone has tried to block the counting of a state's electoral votes.

Led by Rep. John Conyers of Michigan, Stephanie Tubbs-Jones of Cleveland, and Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Cal., the challenge won't change the outcome of the election. The House and Senate, both of which are controlled by Republicans, will debate the challenge for two hours.

Not joining the challenge: Sen. John Kerry himself, who is in Iraq. He issued a statement saying that while he was concerned about voting rights, "I will not be joining their protest of the Ohio electors.'

Conyers and other activists charge that voting irregularities in Ohio - long lines, bad vote counting, Warren County's mysterious closing of its offices - merit further investigation before the votes should be counted.

Sen. Mike DeWine, R-Ohio, called the challenge "a sad day for the United States Congress.''

"I can hardly believe that this could happen on the floor of the United States Senate. All objective observers in Ohio know that President Bush carried the state of Ohio.''
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ladies and gentleman, your Democratic congressmen and women

Here's a link to the congressional report.

It's a 103 pages long. I haven't read it yet.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

What an AWESOME use of tax money!!

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRed
    What an AWESOME use of tax money!!

Yes it is! I glad you agree that making sure the voting process isn't tainted is worth the use of tax money.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    Yes it is! I glad you agree that making sure the voting process isn't tainted is worth the use of tax money.
    During the 3 and a half hours I waited in line to vote on November 2nd, 4 different people were removed from the building for spouting pro-Kerry nonsense to voters waiting in line.

Perhaps the dems should investigate themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by CbusRed
    During the 3 and a half hours I waited in line to vote on November 2nd, 4 different people were removed from the building for spouting pro-Kerry nonsense to voters waiting in line.

Perhaps the dems should investigate themselves.
    what a powerful argument! You must have eaten your wheaties this morning.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Everyone mentioned in this story is as partisan as they come.

Kerry's lack of interest in participating gives the distinct impression that this effort is futile. Personally, I think it is more about stage-setting for 2008.

It's too bad that elections can't always be as decisive as football games, but it's even worse that the media's treatment of the two gets more similar with each passing year.
    /r/reds

For a Level Playing Field

Led by Rep. John Conyers of Michigan, Stephanie Tubbs-Jones of Cleveland, and Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-Cal., the challenge won't change the outcome of the election.
    No surprise... considering the sources. Didn't Rep. Conyers threaten a fellow congressman during the Pres. Clinton impeachment hearings? Rep. Conyers is a real doozy. He is the Dems version of former Rep. James Traficant IMO (except Rep. Conyers doesn't commit felony crimes). But it is okay b/c the Repubs have had these these types too (see Traficant). Sen. Boxer? No explanation needed. The name says it all. Kind of like when you hear Jesse Jackson's name... no need to bother yourself any further w/ the story. Grain of salt!

Who the hell is Tubbs-Jones? I would guess a liberal zealot like the other two. Perhaps she is the lady who falsely claimed she won the PowerBall Lottery?!!? Nice to see these types further dividing this great nation. Real nice. Divide? Who is doing it to this country? Ask Michael Moore...

I certainly don't think that the election should be overturned. I would just like to see some meaningful election reform.

and Kerry's just protecting his butt for a run in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Who the hell is Tubbs-Jones? I would guess a liberal zealot like the other two. Perhaps she is the lady who falsely claimed she won the PowerBall Lottery?!!?
    LOL

:MandJ:

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I certainly don't think that the election should be overturned. I would just like to see some meaningful election reform.
    And this is truly what Sen. Boxer & Rep. Conyers have in mind, right? I don't think so, pedro. And I think you know these two well enough to know better too.

Just more controversy and divide from two people who have made a career out of these type of actions. They aren't doing it for fairness. They are trying to say that Pres. Bush's 2nd term is illegitamate.

Boxer & Conyers. Consider the sources. No Googling needed. Those names say it all. Kind of like saying Traficant. It tells a person a lot. Just the name.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    And this is truly what Sen. Boxer & Rep. Conyers have in mind, right? I don't think so, pedro. And I think you know these two well enough to know better too.

Just more controversy and divide from two people who have made a career out of these type of actions. They aren't doing it for fairness. They are trying to say that Pres. Bush's 2nd term is illegitamate.

Boxer & Conyers. Consider the sources. No Googling needed. Those names say it all. Kind of like saying Traficant. It tells a person a lot. Just the name.
    I'd have to read the report before I'd comment. I don'y know much about Conyers and not sure what his "name" means other than it's a city outside of Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I'd have to read the report before I'd comment. I don'y know much about Conyers and not sure what his "name" means other than it's a city outside of Atlanta.
    That's cool. He is a rabble-rouser. That is all that I will say. I have known about him for years. You will usually only hear his name when there is some sort of protest or controversy (like Rev. Jackson). And as I said, the Repubs have some of their own!

I do know about Trafiicants hair though.

Damn those Democrats, can't they just accept the results of an election without all their conspiracy theories.

GOP presses call for revote in Washington governor's race

By REBECCA COOK
    Associated Press Writer

OLYMPIA, Wash. — Despite Republicans' demands for a new statewide vote and their new radio advertising campaign, the Democratic leaders who control the state Legislature say the governor's election is over.

"We are following the rules and we need to live by those rules, and not just call for a do-over because we don't like the results," Senate Majority Leader Lisa Brown said Tuesday.

Democrats, who hold a majority in the state House and Senate, stood firmly behind Gov.-elect Christine Gregoire, who beat Republican Dino Rossi by 129 votes after a hand recount of 2.9 million ballots cast. Rossi, who won the first count and a machine recount, has not conceded and may contest the election in court.

A top Republican, House Minority Leader Bruce Chandler, said the Legislature should delay ratifying the results of the election until more questions are answered. He disagreed with Brown's contention that the recount process followed the rules.

"The people of this state clearly have lost confidence in the election process," Chandler said Tuesday. "The truth of the matter is, we don't know who won this election and we never will." He and Brown spoke at The Associated Press Legislative Preview on Tuesday.
    Also Tuesday, radio stations began running ads paid for by the state Republican Party, declaring the governor's election a "certified mess" and urging people to petition the Legislature for a new election.

More fuel for GOP concerns was added Wednesday with a Seattle Times report that some provisional voters improperly inserted their ballots into vote counting machines at polling places in King County. The ballots, from people who went to the wrong precinct or whose registrations were in question, were supposed to be set aside and counted only if the person's identity and voting status were verified.

A review of polling place records should indicate the extent of the problem, but it may be impossible to determine exactly how many provisional ballots were fed into the tabulating machines on Election Day, county Elections Superintendent Bill Huennekens said.

The new Republican ad campaign focuses on a Washington state Marine wounded in Iraq, Tyler Farmer, who didn't get his ballot until Nov. 3, the day after Election Day. Republicans argue many military voters were disenfranchised.

The issue drew about 100 people who held signs and chanted "revote" Tuesday night outside a restaurant popular with soldiers near Fort Lewis.

But Secretary of State Sam Reed, also a Republican, said there's no evidence of any systemic problems with the military vote. Counties mailed absentee ballots to registered military voters by early October, Reed said.

Gregoire's inauguration is scheduled for Jan. 12.

"The vote changed, I won, and now suddenly there's something wrong," Gregoire said Tuesday. "I won by 129. It's time for us to put it behind us and move on."

Turn Off Ads?