(Cry me, cry me)

Cry me a river, oh
    (Cry me, cry me)
    Cry me a river, oh
    (Cry me, cry me)
    Cry me a river
    (Cry me, cry me)
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Reality of Red State Fascism

Nothing like a little Justin Timberlake.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

:MandJ:

Does anyone really think that someone who believes that Bush was chosen by God is going to admit it on this board?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    Does anyone really think that someone who believes that Bush was chosen by God is going to admit it on this board?
    Honestly, I do believe Bush was chosen by God.

*hears a pin drop*

However, I would say the same thing if John Kerry was elected.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    Who has said that Bush was "chosen" by God? But yes, if some Christian(s) out there believe that Bush was chosen by God, then again, they are going to admit it. That's why you guys are talking about it, because someone said it.

As I stated earlier... when Clinton stated that he was doing the will of God on this earth I didnt hear any of you liberals making much of a stink about it.

The last 8 Presidents claimed to be "born again" Christians and were just as vocal about their faith.

Bush is no more vocal about his faith then Jimmy Carter was (and is) about his. And many of the Founding Fathers were also vocal about their faith while serving in public office.

The author of this editorial paints this image of the "red state" electorate that voted for Bush (especially Christians) as some sort of cultic followers whose eyes are glassed over and blindly worship and follow this President, and want some sort of police-driven state that will sentence anyone to death who disagrees.

That's totally absurd. I have differences with this President, just as I have with most every other previous administration during my life time.

Most people, including Christians/religious people, who voted for Bush did not do so because of some "blind loyalty" to this guy. That is evident when one looks at his current popularity polls. My decision, and I think a vast majority of those who voted for Bush, did so not because of some divine mandate. That's ridiculous!

Why did a majority of the populace vote for Bush?

That's a complex question that doesn't have a simple, straightforward answer.

But it has nothing, or very little, to do with the influence of what some call the "religious right". I know some need to have someone to point the finger at; but they should maybe be looking at their own party/ideology, and figure out why they were not able to "connect" with a majority of the electorate.

I voted for Bush as more of the "lesser of two evils". And I think aot of people voted that way. It was not so much that they loved/adored Bush as much as they liked Kerry alot less.

And regardless of what anyone thinks of Bush, a majority of the citizens, regardless if they disagree with his policies/decisions, also know that he is a man who has firm convictions, and they know where he stands.

You can't say that about Kerry. Since the first day of the Democratic primaries this guy had been re-inventing himself. And he did so to the point that the American public didn't know who the real John Kerry was.

So for people to claim that the reason people voted for Bush was solely because of some mandate from God is purely absurd.

I think there is a "paranoia" among alot of progressives that is totally unfounded.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-15-2005 at 07:58 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I thought this thread was locked.

OH, Disregard, that was the other Facist thread.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I voted for Bush as more of the "lesser of two evils". And I think aot of people voted that way. It was not so much that they loved/adored Bush as much as they liked Kerry alot less.
    Exactly,

If the people could have witnessed a much better candidate they would have been voted in.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    Exactly,

If the people could have witnessed a much better candidate they would have been voted in.
    And so would have I. I really had alot of respect for Joe Leiberman, and if he had won the nomination I was seriously considering voting for him. Besides having firm convictions, the guy is alot more fiscally conservative than GW (who has upset me strongly on this issue), and has shown to be very strong on defense. I also think Leiberman is alot more moderate/centrist in his views (which is probable why he didn't have a snowball chance in heck of getting the nomination ).

GW left himself very vulnerable for defeat in this election. I didn't blame him for the economy, but it's only natural that the "sitting" Prez is still gonna catch the heat from the electorate. That, coupled with the the lack of evidence of WMDs and the post invasion struggles in Iraq, I thought would surely leave him open for defeat.

For me, his victory, and the fact that the Repubs also gained in Congress, and I also think in state governorships, isn't evidence that the electorate are a bunch of igniorant buffons; but that there is a HUGE identity problem and "weakness" within the Democratic Party, and their inability to connect with that electorate.

And IMO, it's something they had better acknowledge, try to fix, and do some "damage control", instead of screaming, pointing fingers, and attaching ridiculous labels on people within middle America (red states). Or they are gonna have a rougher time in '08.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-14-2005 at 08:27 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan
    Exactly,

that goes back to 2000 too. if the Republicans had went with McCain, i think there would have been a landslide victory for him. in 2004, if Howard Dean hadn't done that scream, he probably would have crushed Bush. sad that someone actually being passionate about what they're trying to do can cause the public to lose faith.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord
    in 2004, if Howard Dean hadn't done that scream, he probably would have crushed Bush. sad that someone actually being passionate about what they're trying to do can cause the public to lose faith.
    Actually RL, Mr. Dean did his scream during his "I am calling it a day" speech after the Iowa primaries. Mr. Dean couldn't even crush his own (finishing third in Iowa). I will not predict what he would have done vs. President Bush. However, I know that he could not defeat Sen. Kerry, who could not defeat President Bush.

Not trying to get this off track since it's kinda on the same subject but when did the Republicans become "Red" and the Democrats "Blue"? I always thought it was the other way around. I just finished reading a political novel by Jeff Greenfield and he had in there that the Republican states were noted by the color blue and the Democratic ones by Red. So I don't think I'm crazy but I'm confused as to when this switch took place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Not trying to get this off track since it's kinda on the same subject but when did the Republicans become "Red" and the Democrats "Blue"? I always thought it was the other way around. I just finished reading a political novel by Jeff Greenfield and he had in there that the Republican states were noted by the color blue and the Democratic ones by Red. So I don't think I'm crazy but I'm confused as to when this switch took place.
    I can recall in the 1980 election NBC commentators were referring to the "blue lake" as NBC's election board depicted Republican Reagan winning 44 states, all colored blue, while Democrat Carter had six red states. I know that by 2000 all the TV networks were coloring GOP states red and Dem states blue, but I'm not sure when the colors were switched.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    I know that by 2000 all the TV networks were coloring GOP states red and Dem states blue, but I'm not sure when the colors were switched.

I believe the decision was made during the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy Convention in the Summer of 1999.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I believe the decision was made during the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy Convention in the Summer of 1999.
    Shhhhh! Do you want to give everything away? :dflynn:
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?