Thread: Warning for you Trolls out there

Warning for you Trolls out there

You know who you are.

http://www.wftv.com/irresistible/4060735/detail.html
    WFTV.com
    Spamming Phillies Fan Headed To Prison
    Disgruntled Fanatic Clogged Team Computers

POSTED: 8:22 am EST January 7, 2005

PHILADELPHIA -- A Philadelphia fanatic is heading to federal prison.

It took a jury less than two hours on Thursday to convict Allan Carlson, 41, of sending out thousands of e-mails blasting the management of the Philadelphia Phillies.

He had listed sportswriters and team officials as the senders, so spam that bounced back went to them. As a result, people he named had their computers clogged with thousands of messages.

A federal prosecutor says reporters weren't able to find their real e-mails in all the garbage.

Carlson, who's been living with his parents in New Jersey, could get up to 41 months in federal prison.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Warning for you Trolls out there

Quote Originally Posted by RedBloodedAmerican
    Carlson, who's been living with his parents in New Jersey, could get up to 41 months in federal prison.
    Surprise, surprise. :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

For a Level Playing Field

Those darn Phillies fans. What'll they do next?!? On the bright side.. I am sure Mommy will bring her 41-year-old son fresh underwear every week.

I've seen this guy's stuff on rec.sport.baseball under the handle "Mike Schmidt". He makes Richard Hand look like a saint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Maybe it's just me, but 41 months in jail for spamming??? Isn't that a bit extreme? I'd rather the law not give the judges such a draconian tool.

This seems like the perfect crime to make the guy spend a lot of community service hours doing something worthwhile with his life.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    Maybe it's just me, but 41 months in jail for spamming??? Isn't that a bit extreme? I'd rather the law not give the judges such a draconian tool.

This seems like the perfect crime to make the guy spend a lot of community service hours doing something worthwhile with his life.
    Google this guy's posts and read them. I don't htink you'd want him doing community service of any kind except maybe picking up garbage off the highways. But then he'd have to interact with other people and this guy has a problem with that.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Looks like it wasn't the spamming that they got him on, but the denial of service that resulted when thousands of his spams bounced back to the subjects of his ire. I'm not bothered at all that our government throws the book at willful fraudsters who take actions that prevent legitimate businesses from doing their business.
    /r/reds

It wasn't Stewie, was it? :mhcky21:
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    It wasn't Stewie, was it? :mhcky21:
    No, Stewie is on our board as we 'speak'. And while I definitely know you were just throwing a joke out there, I really like Stewie, so I thought I'd throw that in here also.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Looks like it wasn't the spamming that they got him on, but the denial of service that resulted when thousands of his spams bounced back to the subjects of his ire. I'm not bothered at all that our government throws the book at willful fraudsters who take actions that prevent legitimate businesses from doing their business.
    But you realize that some hired killers get out of jail in less than 5 years?
    If the jails are overloaded, they need a better way to deal with spammers.

Give him community service and/or a fine and move on. Why put him in jail when he poses no real threat to society? Causing a few sportswriters about an hour or two of inconvience wasn't nice, but not worth jail time.

Quote Originally Posted by CougarQuest
    No, Stewie is on our board as we 'speak'. And while I definitely know you were just throwing a joke out there, I really like Stewie, so I thought I'd throw that in here also.
    Just to make it clear, yes I was totally joking. Stewie would never do something like this...well unless it was Ed Wade :MandJ:
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

But you realize that some hired killers get out of jail in less than 5 years?
    If the jails are overloaded, they need a better way to deal with spammers.

Give him community service and/or a fine and move on. Why put him in jail when he poses no real threat to society? Causing a few sportswriters about an hour or two of inconvience wasn't nice, but not worth jail time.
    How do you know he doesn't pose a threat to society? I've read some of the stuff he's posted on the Phillies and baseball newsgroups and he's definitaly got a few screws loose. I'd say they could put him under house arrest but I doubt that would be much of a punishment for him.

Look at it like this: If some nut kept harassing you while you were trying to do your job and would not stop, he'd have to be arrested, right? Same with this guy. Only he was doing it via cyberspace.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go
    Surprise, surprise. :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:
    Good one ZAGG! It's almost a punch line, isn't it? :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

This guy also has previous arrests and jail time for other offenses over the past decade or so that he has been living in California. Dude's a huge racist and it seems like he spent most of his time spreading around white supremicist messages throughout various grocery stores and schools in the LA area. And he was charged with beating up a janitor who was trying to stop him from spreading his white racist crap in a school.

I think I remember reading that one writer for the Philadelphia Inquirer had to spend over 100 hours cleaning up the mess this guy caused. Other writers had similar issues.

He does have more than a few screws loose. Apparently, while the trial was going on, he was just sitting there reading a book. I'm sure the jury can't feel much sympathy for a guy who is just sitting there reading a book while his trial is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Just to make it clear, yes I was totally joking. Stewie would never do something like this...well unless it was Ed Wade :MandJ:
    No, for Ed Wade, I would just call him and yell at him for trading Scott Rolen for Placido Polanco, a la Frank Costanza yelling at Steinbrenner for trading Jay Buhner.

Turn Off Ads?