Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Randy Moss Pretends to Moon Fans

Re: Randy Moss Pretends to Moon Fans

Nothing wrong with a little pressed ham.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This brings up a point about all the dancing and prancing going on in the NFL, which is probably as bad as in any sport, including the home run poses in baseball.

You know the routine, sack the QB, get up and do some kind of display for the cameras. A 280 lb. lineman flexes his muscles to celebrate tackling a 185 lb. receiver looking for a place to fall.

Do these guys realize that I cannot fathom anyone that says they follow the NFL for the celebrations. I'm sure there is someone that puts that is in the top 10 reasons why they love the NFL (perhaps the guy with the hardhat that always gets on camera at Bengals home games?), but I know many people who are totally turned off and no longer follow the league because of all the tacky celebrating that goes on during the games. That seems like the reverse of what you would want as a marketer who wants to continue building up the league.

In short, the NFL doesn't only need to continue to flag end zone "excessive" celebrations so that it will stop because of its negative marketing impact (in the long run), but also put a stop to the stupid defensive celebrations after every stinkin' tackle and the offensive celebrations after a first down.

I do find it interesting that Moss did not get a flag for the faux moon, but Chad and TJ were flagged for doing a chest bump after coming back from a 23 point deficit against the Ravens. That's consistency.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Some people contend that they should be allowed to express their "individualism." My contention is, "that is all well and good," but the time to show your talents as an athlete is during the play, not after. There is time for an acting career after athletics.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor
    Do these guys realize that I cannot fathom anyone that says they follow the NFL for the celebrations. I'm sure there is someone that puts that is in the top 10 reasons why they love the NFL (perhaps the guy with the hardhat that always gets on camera at Bengals home games?), but I know many people who are totally turned off and no longer follow the league because of all the tacky celebrating that goes on during the games. That seems like the reverse of what you would want as a marketer who wants to continue building up the league.
    That depends on whom you are marketing to. There are just as many people out there who enjoy those celebrations. You may not come across them but they are out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    That depends on whom you are marketing to. There are just as many people out there who enjoy those celebrations. You may not come across them but they are out there.
    I don't doubt that, but I'm talking about that is within the primary reasons that they follow. In other words, how many Bubbas are there that say "I started wutchin THE NFof L all the time after this one guy made a tackle and he deed a victory lap 'round the field" as opposed to folks who have given up on watching the league because of all the tacky celebrations after nearly every play. Since I know some of the latter and none of the other, my unscientific SWAG is that it is a net marketing loss for attracting and maintaining fans of the league. Plus, since they have cracked down on endzone celebrations, I assume their research shows that they are repelling rather than attracting fans. They just haven't had the cajones yet to go after all celebrations.

I seriously doubt that people who've stopped following the NFL because of excessive celebrations were spending that much money on the sport anyway. Certainly not enough to make a dent, and there are obviously aren't enough of those people to make a dent in ratings either.

Chad Johnson is my favorite professional athlete. His personality is pretty much entirely why.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    I seriously doubt that people who've stopped following the NFL because of excessive celebrations were spending that much money on the sport anyway. Certainly not enough to make a dent, and there are obviously aren't enough of those people to make a dent in ratings either.

Chad Johnson is my favorite professional athlete. His personality is pretty much entirely why.
    RF, Finally I agree with you on something

I feel that player personalities are something that makes the game much more interesting, not that it isnt allready interesting enough.

Player personalities are good for creating storylines that build interest in games. And this goes for all sports. For example. I am a Pittsburgh Penguins fan, but whenever there is a Colorado/Detroit game on TV, thats what I am watching. why? because the storyline created by the hatred between the two teams is quality entertainment. I will never forget when Darren McCarthy skated slowly by the Av's bench and punched every single player in the face as he skated by. That was Awesome! If not for that, I wouldnt even care about that game.

Marvin Harrison is a reciever that I believe is on the same level as Randy Moss or Terrell Owens skill-wise. But he is boring. I would much rather watch Moss or TO. Their unpredictable behavior keeps me interested.

Marvin Harrison is a reciever that I believe is on the same level as Randy Moss or Terrell Owens skill-wise. But he is boring. I would much rather watch Moss or TO. Their unpredictable behavior keeps me interested.
    And then fans like myself were impressed listening to an interview with Terry Holt because he did a 30 second clip on Mark Bolger without saying "uh" and "ya know" once (or talk about himself). He was very articulate, which also shows in his approach to the game. Marvin Harrison is boring because he lets his game do the talking rather than flapping his jaws? As we do potayto, patahto, I guess I'll take boring. Also, his "boring" ways makes him the actual best receiver in the game, while all the other two you mentioned can do is try to talk up their game to his level.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Vikings owner Red McCombs (who lives here in San Antonio, btw) wanted young Buck removed from the next Vikings broadcast.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/footb...t-nflnt13.html

McCombs wants Fox's Buck off Vikings' broadcast

Fox Sports turned down Minnesota Vikings owner Red McCombs' request to remove play-by-play announcer Joe Buck from Sunday's game at Philadelphia over his criticism of Randy Moss.

After Moss caught a touchdown pass in last weekend's win at Green Bay, the wide receiver celebrated by pretending to pull down his pants and moon Packers fans. Buck immediately called it a ''disgusting act.''

McCombs said that statement was out of line. A two-sentence news release issued by the team said McCombs felt Buck's comments ''suggested a prejudice that surpassed objective reporting.''

Dan Bell, a Fox spokesman, said Wednesday the network has ''no intention whatsoever'' of removing Buck.

Buck, during an interview on Sporting News Radio earlier this week, stood by his criticism.

''I have nothing against Randy Moss,'' Buck said. ''I don't even know the guy. I just know that with the history that he's had, and coming off that game at Washington, it was just stunning to see that.''
    /r/reds

NFL imposed a 10K fine on Moss for this.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

I want Buck off the broadcast team too. I cant stand him.

I thought it was interesting that ESPN apologized for not showing the incident on Sunday. Guess the 70-some percent that voted in their poll that didn't find anything wromg with Moss' actions changed their monds awful fast.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    Vikings owner Red McCombs (who lives here in San Antonio, btw) wanted young Buck removed from the next Vikings broadcast.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/footb...t-nflnt13.html
    I'm not a fan of Buck but I'm glad to see that FOX bucked the demand of McCombs to remove the announcer.
    McCombs should have kept his mouth shut IMO. The Vikings already appear to lack the ability to control Moss. McCombs's demand probably only encouraged Moss to continue his antics.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

My best friend coached Moss in high school.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Was that at Dupont, RFS62?

Turn Off Ads?