Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Fox Nixes Ad Showing Mickey Rooney's Rear

Fox Nixes Ad Showing Mickey Rooney's Rear

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._rooney_s_rump

By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer

LOS ANGELES - Mickey Rooney's bare end zone won't be part of the Super Bowl advertising blitz, Fox TV said Friday. The network rejected a cold remedy commercial that includes a brief shot of the 84-year-old actor's behind, said Fox Sports spokesman Lou D'Ermilio.

"Our standards department reviewed the ad, and it was deemed inappropriate for broadcast television," he said. The commercial for the over-the-counter product Airborne is set in a sauna and depicts Rooney panicking when someone coughs. His towel drops as he rushes out, revealing his rear.

Fox's decision wasn't affected by fallout from last year's Super Bowl halftime show on CBS, which included a flash of Janet Jackson's breast, D'Ermilio said.

"Our standards and practices haven't changed," he said.

The Federal Communications Commission levied a $550,000 fine against CBS parent company Viacom over the Jackson incident. Viacom is contesting the fine.

Rooney, whose films include the Andy Hardy series and "National Velvet," said he was disappointed by Fox's move and hoped the network would reconsider.

"I would never do anything that's in bad taste. ... I've been a family entertainer all my life," Rooney told The Associated Press. "We're not selling sex, we're selling a health product."

Rooney and his wife, Jan, are touring nationally in a stage production, "Let's Put on a Show."

Rider McDowell, co-owner of Carmel-based Airborne Inc., also defended the ad Friday: "There's nothing titillating about this spot, nor was there intended to be a sexual aspect to it."

The company has filed a complaint with the FCC to try to reverse Fox's decision, although McDowell said it was somewhat understandable "given the prevailing climate of censorship about nudity on television shows."

In a Jan. 3 letter to the commission, attorneys for Airborne argued the ad is not indecent and asked the FCC to either order Fox to run the ad during the game or ask Fox to provide more information on why it rejected it.

An FCC spokeswoman told USA Today that the commission, which responds to complaints after a broadcast, would never issue such an order, the newspaper reported Friday.

Given that it would cost $1.2 million to air the 15-second ad during the Feb. 6 football championship game, the company won't spend that kind of money if it can't be assured maximum effect, McDowell said.

"We had to come up something sensational that would leave people with a lingering buzz or chuckle," he said. "To edit that out would be to emasculate the ad somewhat."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fox Nixes Ad Showing Mickey Rooney's Rear

I don't think the world is ready to see 84 year old Mikey Rooney's boom boom.

I hope we never are!

For a Level Playing Field

I doubt that anyone will be saddened to hear this news. Except maybe Anna Nicole Smith (Got Valium?)... she seems to like 80 & 90 year-old butts (that have money!).

We need to remember this quote from the Fox Sports spokesman, "... it was deemed inappropriate for broadcast television." We could have a field-day with that quote, couldn't we?

Anyhow... I really enjoy the commercial-fest during Super Bowls. Usually more exciting than the game IMO. It may be one of the few times that I do not "flip around" when a commercial is on the station that I am watching.

For once, the censors protect us from something that absolutely nobody wants to see.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Sports Illustrated has reported that a new ad is in the works. In the new ad a naked Mickey Rooney drops his towel and jumps into the arms of Terrell Owens.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron
    Sports Illustrated has reported that a new ad is in the works. In the new ad a naked Mickey Rooney drops his towel and jumps into the arms of Terrell Owens.

:MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:

You're on a roll today, RB!
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

"Our standards and practices haven't changed," he said
    Fox now has standards and practices?

You wouldn't know it by their primetime programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    For once, the censors protect us from something that absolutely nobody wants to see.
    Agreed. Although dude has been married 6 or 7 times so he must have something going for him. Although I don't want to know what that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R
    Agreed. Although dude has been married 6 or 7 times so he must have something going for him. Although I don't want to know what that is.
    Well i dont think it's his personality! In 2001, I went to Sarasota for some spring training ball and stayed at the Hyatt. Our waitress was telling us over breakfast how many famous people come in ther eto eat as they have homes on Long Boat Key. And she pointed out Mickey Rooney in the resturaunt.

She asked if it was ok to stay over by our table (it was pretty slow that morning) as he (rooney) is "just nasty" to all the waitresses. And sure enough you could here him growl at them across the room.

Wow, how life comes together a Mickey Rooney thread on RedsZone that I can post on beccause of an experience with Mickey Rooney while in Florida to watch the Reds.

Oh, and the Reds beat the Yankees that night...Dieon stole 2 bases.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

This year's Super Bowl is going to be scrutinized like no other show on television for anything that might offend. If the Washington team was in it, I think Fox would probably refer to it by a different name during the broadcast.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by deltachi8
    Well i dont think it's his personality! In 2001, I went to Sarasota for some spring training ball and stayed at the Hyatt. Our waitress was telling us over breakfast how many famous people come in ther eto eat as they have homes on Long Boat Key. And she pointed out Mickey Rooney in the resturaunt.

She asked if it was ok to stay over by our table (it was pretty slow that morning) as he (rooney) is "just nasty" to all the waitresses. And sure enough you could here him growl at them across the room.

Wow, how life comes together a Mickey Rooney thread on RedsZone that I can post on beccause of an experience with Mickey Rooney while in Florida to watch the Reds.

Oh, and the Reds beat the Yankees that night...Dieon stole 2 bases.
    In a related story, I saw him on Conan about 10 years ago and Pete Rose was the other guest. Mickey was really acting strange. He wasn't being nasty but he was just acting stupid. He actually made Pete look smooth.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?