Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Dean for DNC Chair

Dean for DNC Chair

Washington Post

Dean to Seek Democratic Party Chair

By Will Lester
    The Associated Press
    Tuesday, January 11, 2005; 12:42 PM

Former presidential candidate Howard Dean, once the early front-runner for the Democratic nomination whose candidacy stumbled, has decided to seek the party's chairmanship.

"The Democratic Party needs a vibrant, forward-thinking, long-term presence in every single state," Dean wrote in a letter to members of the Democratic National Committee. "We must be willing to contest every race at every level. We can only win when we show up."

Dean's entry into the race appears to pre-empt another bid for the presidency in 2008. The chairman's job carries a four-year term and Dean has said that anyone who serves as chairman should be ruled out as a presidential candidate.

In his letter, Dean made it clear that he remains part of what he calls "the Democratic wing of the Democratic Party," a phrase he borrowed from the late Sen. Paul Wellstone of Minnesota.

"That word -- 'values' -- has lately become a codeword for appeasement of the right-wing fringe," Dean wrote. "But when the political calculations make us soften our opposition to bigotry, or sign on to policies that add to the burden of ordinary Americans, we have abandoned our true values."

Dean joins a field that includes former Indiana Rep. Tim Roemer, former Texas Rep. Martin Frost, Democratic activists Simon Rosenberg and Donnie Fowler, former Denver Mayor Wellington Webb and former Ohio Democratic Party chairman David Leland.

Throughout 2003, Dean was the leading Democrat for the presidential nomination, securing the backing of former presidential candidate Al Gore and impressing party leaders with his ability to raise millions -- and attract scores of followers -- through the Internet.

His strong opposition to the Iraq war energized rank-and-file Democrats.

But just a year ago, Dean's candidacy faltered in the Iowa caucuses as he finished third behind Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts and former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina. Dean's bizarre "yeee-ah" shout during a post-caucus rally in Des Moines was played over and over on television.

Moderate Democrats have been searching for an alternative to Dean for the chairmanship, concerned that the former governor would lead the party in a more liberal direction. Some senior Democrats have approached current chairman Terry McAuliffe about staying in the job.

"Dean will have a tremendous edge with party insiders," said veteran Democratic activist Donna Brazile, a DNC member. "But this race remains very fluid. He will have to continue to work very hard to win the heart and soul of the party."

Longtime DNC member Susan Turnbull said Dean still has plenty of work to do because DNC members are being cautious and want to know what the candidates would do for the state parties.

Democrats will vote on party chairman in early February.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Dean for DNC Chair

Good luck to Mr. Dean and the DNC. I still have not been able to finger excatly what caused Dean to slip so suddenly in Iowa, but I was under the impression that he was too far left. That would make his selection as the DNC Chair unlikely. The DNC has to learn that those who "lean too much" are not good for the whole party. At least it appeared that way in November 2004. Using quotes from a major-league-leaner, the late Paul Wellstone, is not placing him any more towards the middle.

If it doesn't work out for Dean, he might be able to get a job with CBS and/or 60 Minutes Wednesday. I hear they are hiring. He would definitely fit in well with Rather and the rest of the crew there. They seem to have the same politics.

p.s. - I hope Jesse, Boxer, Conyers and that lady from Cleveland quadruple check the votes and the voting procedures before announcing the new head of the DNC.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

I don't think a week has gone by since November 3 when I haven't heard about this. And from what I've read, Dean's been all over the country campaigning for this job, too. I can't remember a time when a race for party chair got sooo much exposure.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    Some senior Democrats have approached current chairman Terry McAuliffe about staying in the job.
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!! !!!
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I think Dean would do a great job at this role. One thing he did do effectively during the campaign was energize the base and get them interested and passionate about the election. I think he's more suited for this type of role than as a candidate.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

The DNC has to learn that those who "lean too much" are not good for the whole party.
    The party "learned" that 20 years ago and it didn't work. The Republicans have no problem with people who "lean too much". If the GOP's ascendency has taught us anything its that an energetic base and moderate appeal are not mutually exclusive.

But then again, you dont want to be mean-spirited. You dont want to look somebody like Terry McAuliffe in the eye and say "AHAHAHAHAHA". Wait I take that back yes you do. "Hey Terry McAuliffe, AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

-Glenn Beck (from Gloat-fest)

I think getting Dean would be a step in the right direction. Dean would actually work to push the liberal agenda, instead of trying to be everything to everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I think getting Dean would be a step in the right direction. Dean would actually work to push the liberal agenda, instead of trying to be everything to everybody.
    I'll be damned! We agree.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I'M GOING TO LOOK FOR DNC CHAIR VOTES IN SOUTH CAROLINA AND OKLAHOMA AND ARIZONA AND NORTH DAKOTA AND NEW MEXICO, AND THEN WE'RE GOING TO CALIFORNIA AND TEXAS AND NEW YORK, AND THEN WE'RE GOING TO SOUTH DAKOTA AND OREGON AND WASHINGTON AND MICHIGCAN.

AND THEN WE'RE GOING TO DC TO TAKE BACK THE WHITE HOUSE.

GAAARRRAAARARRRRGH

In seriousness, Dean and his campaign crew (Before he fired them) had some unique ways of capitalizing on internet trends to gain notoriety before his ultimate demise in the campaign.

What surprised me, is that as a Gov, he was a relative moderate. He had a pro-NRA record on guns, ran a tight budget and played the middle of the road in a very liberal state. But he ran his campaign as the most liberal candidate, which was a bizarre turn. Seemed to me that he was the most anti-Iraq war, stuck with it, gaining all the feverant anti-establishment and anti-war liberals, then got wrapped up in their politics as his campaign rolled on.

I've seen it happen three times now with the Democrats, in 92 with the Tsongas crowd, in 2000 with Bill Bradley and now in 2004 with Dean. It's the far left of the Democrats, the much younger "college" demographic, seizes on an anti-establishment candidate who makes some early waves but ultimately crashes and burns.

Russ Feingold has all the makings of being that sort of candidate the next go 'round, and I've read he's considering making a run.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19

I'M GOING TO LOOK FOR DNC CHAIR VOTES IN SOUTH CAROLINA AND OKLAHOMA AND ARIZONA AND NORTH DAKOTA AND NEW MEXICO, AND THEN WE'RE GOING TO CALIFORNIA AND TEXAS AND NEW YORK, AND THEN WE'RE GOING TO SOUTH DAKOTA AND OREGON AND WASHINGTON AND MICHIGCAN.

AND THEN WE'RE GOING TO DC TO TAKE BACK THE WHITE HOUSE.

GAAARRRAAARARRRRGH
    That reminds me of a hilarious audio I found mixing the Dean Scream into Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld song.

TIMMAH!!! YARRRGGHHHH!!!! They complement each other well.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed
    That reminds me of a hilarious audio I found mixing the Dean Scream into Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld song.

TIMMAH!!! YARRRGGHHHH!!!! They complement each other well.

http://politicalhumor.about.com/b/a/059035.htm

Dean apparently has some organizational and fund raising skills, plus he appeals to the Democratic base. While he probably wouldn't be a good pick as a presidential candidate, he might be quite effective as DNC chair. An effective chairman may largely be below the media radar screen anyway.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I love Howard Dean. But I'm a kid so that's to be expected.

Turn Off Ads?