Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rodeo fans expecting National Anthem get shock rant instead

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Re: Rodeo fans expecting National Anthem get shock rant instead

It would have been funnier if the cowboys had caught them.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

2. Turn Off Ads?

Jingoism is alive and well.

When people get riled up about the flag and the anthem I have to wonder if they realize the difference between nationalism and patriotism. We're becoming a pretty nationalistic country, and that's not at all a good thing.

Also, what Stormy said. It's satire.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I don't regard respecting this nation's national anthem and its flag as being jingoistic. America has never been, and never will be, a perfect country, but I greatly respect its flag and anthem and the sacrifices better people than me have made under that flag to defend the freedoms we have.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

America is teh sux. Yee haw.

Team Puffy Leadoff Hitter CbusRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley
    America is teh sux. Yee haw.

Wright State, Wrong University.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Also, what Stormy said. It's satire.
    Satire very often pokes fun at someone or something that the people being made fun of don't find amusing. Like lawyers don't think lawyer jokes are funny and minorities don't think racist jokes are funny, etc. I think it's funny when the satirist meets the people at whose expense he's having 'fun'... he tends to think it's not so funny any more. There's a line, and usually the audience will let you know when you've crossed it. I'm positive he crossed the line in this situation...he should count himself lucky he's not watching his own funny show from a hospital bed. That would be hilarious! Different people think different things are funny. I don't think degrading a symbol many of my ancestors and friends have died defending is funny. I do think people getting the snot beat out of them for doing really stupid things is funny. It's just a matter of perspective.

BTW, I'm not bothered by his ignorant display of insensitivity, (I wouldn't be the one beating him up,) but I'd certainly never defend him.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

There's a line, and usually the audience will let you know when you've crossed it.
    His audience wasn't the rodeo audience. His audience is the people watching his show.

And the people watching his show more than likely aren't going to think he crossed a line.

I also find it really amusing that so many people want him "beat up" for his performance. Nah, not jingoism at all right RB?

I'm the first to defend a person's right to free speech, but I do wonder if this doesn't fall under the "yelling fire in a crowded theater" law (lawyers, help me out--?). There's really no reason the guy couldn't have recorded his performance on the Jumbotron instead of standing there inciting what could easily have turned into a riot.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

His audience wasn't the rodeo audience. His audience is the people watching his show.

And the people watching his show more than likely aren't going to think he crossed a line.

I also find it really amusing that so many people want him "beat up" for his performance. Nah, not jingoism at all right RB?
    Not all all. While advocating beating up someone for expressing something disagreeable is certainly itself not evidence of patriotism, you don't have to be jinoistic to be offended by someone mocking symbols of your country--you just have to be patriotic.
    His audience was the people in the rodeo, not the people to whom he later shows the video. Those watching the video can later laugh at, and feel superior to, those rubes in the audience who don't appreciate their national anthem and flag being mocked. He in turn can profit from the mockery. Lovely.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

you don't have to be jinoistic to be offended by someone mocking symbols of your country--you just have to be patriotic.
    Right, but you have to be jingoistic to want to see bodily harm done to someone that mocks symbols of your country. Feel free to disagree, that's just what I believe.

People who jump in a skillet sometimes are going to get burned. If you're willing to take that chance, maybe you deserve what you get.

I've only seen the show a couple times, but the segments with this character are hands down the funniest ones.

Right, but you have to be jingoistic to want to see bodily harm done to someone that mocks symbols of your country. Feel free to disagree, that's just what I believe.
    Ok, I disagree. Jingoism is nationalism with a belligerent foreign policy...like going to war for trumped up reasons. It has absolutely nothing to do with being bellicose with individual people, morons or otherwise. I never said I wanted to see him beat up, I said I thought it would be funnier than making fun of our national anthem. Personally, I don't feel he's worth the energy to beat up. What he did was make fun of the people who are (perhaps excessively) nationalistic...laughing at others who he (and his intended audience) feel superior to. I find that type of humor ugly and degrading. Had he stuck around and gotten his butt kicked and showed that on his show, he'd be making fun of himself...something I find very humorous.

Turn Off Ads?