Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do The Steelers Have A Chance Against The Patriots?

Re: Do The Steelers Have A Chance Against The Patriots?

Yeah but Montana won plenty of big games to compensate for one dud. Starr got murdered once on Thanksgiving by the Lions but has two super MVPs and plenty of championships to compensate for it. Favre has had plenty of duds but has a ring and three straight MVPs. And he never failed to show up like Manning did Sunday. Has Manning ever won a big game? Let him win a few playoff games on the road before we cannonize this guy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Yeah but Montana won plenty of big games to compensate for one dud. Starr got murdered once on Thanksgiving by the Lions but has two super MVPs and plenty of championships to compensate for it. Favre has had plenty of duds but has a ring and three straight MVPs. And he never failed to show up like Manning did Sunday. Has Manning ever won a big game? Let him win a few playoff games on the road before we cannonize this guy.
    He will - but he's never gonna win the big game consistently until they improve that defense. And I'm not talking about creating turnovers, I'm talking about being able to consistently stop the other team from going up and down the field.

Dan Marino lost more big games then he ever won, but I doubt many people don't consider him one of the best qb's ever.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Manning could have been playing for the 68 cowboys or the 85 Bears on Sunday, but all the defense in the world wouldn't have helped if all he could do was put three points on the board. It wasn't the Colts defense that lost on sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman
    Manning could have been playing for the 68 cowboys or the 85 Bears on Sunday, but all the defense in the world wouldn't have helped if all he could do was put three points on the board. It wasn't the Colts defense that lost on sunday.
    Really?? The Pats held the ball for close to 40 minutes. They had three drives that lasted longer than 8 minutes. Do you really think its that easy to establish an offensive rhythm against one of the greatest defensive minds ever (Belicheck backed by Romeo) when you are never on the field? How bout the six passes that were dropped by the Colts receivers? How bout the fact that he was 27 for 42 even with those 6 drops?

Football is about the team - and on this day it was the Colts Team that lost, not Peyton. I'm not sure how you pin the loss on a guy who was 27 for 41 with 6 drops and no INT's and no turnovers until the last play of the game. I guess Edge deserves responsibilty as well cause the Pats stuffed him and really made him a non-factor. How bout Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark who each fumbled AFTER catching a Manning pass? How bout Harrison who didn't put up his usual numbers?

The Colts D did nothing to win that game for them. Other players on offense didn't step up. Manning got out-thunk by Belicheck once again. The Colts lost to a better team.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

So did Bret Favre "forget" how to use his "big game" skill?
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

And he never failed to show up like Manning did Sunday.
    He threw 4 INTs against the Vikings in the Wild Card game two weeks ago.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    He threw 4 INTs against the Vikings in the Wild Card game two weeks ago.

Oh, I forgot. First, Farve has a ring, three MVPs and two NFC championships. Manning can't get past the second round. Second, while the two other dominent teams of the 90's , the Cowboys and the Niners, have
    fallen to the bottom of the pile as a result of the cap and parity, the Packers have remained competitive- because of Favre. Third, yes Favre played like an old man against the Vikings, and if he can't do any better than that, its time to hang it up, but at least he gave it a shot. Manning went up against a team missing three starters and he couldn't put a touchdown on the board. He didn't throw any interceptions because he didn't throw a pass over five yards. 49 td passes in one season and he can't even throw one when it counts.
    Manning proved what I suspected, hes great in a dome on artificial turf, but put him in a money game outside, and he's below average. And all the excuses and apologies in the world won't change that.

As a diehard Steelers fan, I think the Steelers must not put the game in Big Ben's hands to win. Establishing their running game will be the key with short immediate passes to Hines Wards and Randle El. Controling the clock. Defensively, I think the Steelers are up a notch over the Patriots but the key will be holding Dillion under 100 yards and force Brady in long passing situations.

Will the Steelers win. In my heart yes. On paper, no. But if Saturday's luck win against the Jets didn't open their eyes, nothing will.

I expect a different Steelers team to show up Sunday against the Patriots. One that is more focused and more determined ever to win what I call the Super Bowl. Will it be enough?

That's why they call it a slobber-knocker.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Sure they do, but I don't think they can..the Pats will do their best to make it big Bens game to win or lose, and I don't see the rooking being able to do it
    Go Gators!

The Jets nearly upset the Steelers last week even though their offense only produced three points, getting touchdowns from a punt return and an interception return. For the Steelers to upset the Pats this Sunday, they may need similar good fortune. The Steelers will attempt to control the ball with their ground game and will probably need some big plays from their defense and special teams to pull off the upset. Possible? Yes. Likely? No.
    I'm getting the impression from news articles that the Steelers may be tight going into this game, which may not be good.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I'll use a "pet phrase" a buddy of mine always uses (please mention him in your prayers - he suffered a stroke last week and was in ICU; but is doing better).....

"ARE YOU LISTENING TO ME?"

:MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ: :MandJ:

Pats 16-13
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Turn Off Ads?