Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Clarence Thomas: Judges should be evaluated by God, not Constitution

Clarence Thomas: Judges should be evaluated by God, not Constitution

How do the "strict interpretation of the Constitution"ers feel about this?

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnew...8420462860.xml

STAN BAILEY
    News staff writer

MONTGOMERY - Three new associate justices of the Alabama Supreme Court and one judge of the Court of Civil Appeals took oaths of office Friday in ceremonies at Troy University's Davis Theatre.

The 1,200-seat theater was packed with relatives and friends of new justices Tom Parker, Mike Bolin and Patricia M. Smith, and civil appeals judge Tommy Bryan.

Many stood and applauded former Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore as he walked to the stage to administer the oath to Parker. Moore's action was ceremonial, since Parker took his formal oath of office Thursday before U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas in Washington. Parker said Thomas told him a judge should be evaluated by whether he faithfully upholds his oath to God, not to the people, to the state or to the Constitution.

Bolin was administered the oath by Calhoun County Probate Judge Arthur C. Murray. Bolin said he was humbled by so many of his friends attending the ceremony and "by the trust placed in me by the citizens of Alabama." Bolin said he is a "strong conservative and a strict constructionist" of the law.

Alabama Chief Justice Drayton Nabers swore in Smith, who said her robe "`is a symbol of integrity and impartiality." She also paid tribute to her family, which drew laughter from the crowd when Nabers described them as "an immense number."

Bryan, who was sworn in by his father-in-law, the Rev. Joe Bob Mizell, paid tribute to his wife as "the best campaigner in Alabama." He said that, as a judge, he would "treat others as I would want to be treated" and interpret the law as it is rather than the way he might want it to be.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Clarence Thomas: Judges should be evaluated by God, not Constitution

That's easy for Clarence to say since he's one that is evaluated by God. Those other poor saps have to be re-elected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I can say with the utmost certainty that my IQ more than doubles Clarence Thomas's.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    I can say with the utmost certainty that my IQ more than doubles Clarence Thomas's.
    Really? My brother just happens to be friends w/ Mrs. Thomas (the judge's wife). I have met and spoke with Judge Thomas and his wife more than once. They were very nice and intelligent (both of them). Have you ever met Judge Thomas?

I wonder if the unintelligent Judge Thomas ever wagered his first born and lost? I know some other genius who did... the one who had the utmost certainty that Jimmy Haynes would not win 14 games. I guess the comments above about Judge Thomas should go into the "consider the source" file. Imagine that.

BTW... I guess freedom of speech only matters when it fits certain causes. Hypocritical? Nah... just par for the course.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Really? My brother just happens to be friends w/ Mrs. Thomas (the judge's wife). I have met and spoke with Judge Thomas and his wife more than once. They were very nice and intelligent (both of them). Have you ever met Judge Thomas?

I wonder if the unintelligent Judge Thomas ever wagered his first born and lost? I know some other genius who did... the one who had the utmost certainty that Jimmy Haynes would not win 14 games. I guess the comments above about Judge Thomas should go into the "consider the source" file. Imagine that.

BTW... I guess freedom of speech only matters when it fits certain causes. Hypocritical? Nah... just par for the course.
    Who said anything about freedom of speech?

These fools putting their feet in their mouths (and pubes in their Cokes) is just grist for the mill. "Free speech" away!
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Clarence Thomas is not allowed to voice his opinion?

Did Mr Thomas administer to the swearing in of these new judges? No.

Is it a law in this country that a judge must swear an oath to God? No.

Did Mr Thomas say it should be a law? No.

It's Clarence Thomas' opinion. And since the man is a Christian, and people like you RF have a perception problem and paranoia about people in this great nation of ours who do advocate a belief in God, it's understandable that you would try to make something out of nothing in all of this.

To swear an oath/allegiance To God (Jesus) means to serve people. It's inseparable in the eyes/minds of a vast majority of Christians. It's not some blind loyalty to some impersonal God who doesn't give a hoot or care about His creation.

Jesus said "I came not to be served, but to serve", and his ministry proved that. That's why Jesus advocated such silly philosophies like "love your neighbor", the parable of the Good Samaritan, etc, etc.

No one can say they serve God, and then not serve people. And Mr Thomas was not advocating anything to the contrary IMO.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Spin it however you want GAC, but a Supreme Court Justices job is to interpret the constitution, not to do what Christianity considers to be God's will.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Anyone who studies Constitutional law can tell you that Thomas is not just terrible but possibly the worst justice to ever sit on the bench.

His opinions usually consist of just a few paragraphs, which could really be reduced to one sentence: "What Scalia said."

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    Spin it however you want GAC, but a Supreme Court Justices job is to interpret the constitution, not to do what Christianity considers to be God's will.
    I'll have to second that.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I'll have to second that.
    Third here.

Hey Dom. : good to see you.... relatively speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner
    Anyone who studies Constitutional law can tell you that Thomas is not just terrible but possibly the worst justice to ever sit on the bench.

His opinions usually consist of just a few paragraphs, which could really be reduced to one sentence: "What Scalia said."
    In my 14th Amendment class when I was a 3L we had a take home portion of the final in which we had to write an opinion on a case from whatever justice we chose. So I chose Scalia (who can actually write some of the most most brilliant decisions riddled with paranoid fallacies all in the same paragraph - its fascinating to read). We also could do a concurring decision - and mine was from Thomas and was a sentence long, and said, "Whatever Justice Scalia said, I agree with."
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

It should first be noted that the news article quotes new state justice Tom Parker claiming to quote from Justice Clarence Thomas. The reporter did not witness the supposed statement from Justice Thomas. There is accordingly the question of whether or not the quote is accurate, or in proper context.
    I'm not sure what the supposed quote means. I believe we are all utimately judged by our relationship to God, so I have no argument if that was the meaning of the statement. Technically any oath is usually made to God, not "to the people, to the state or to the Constitution"-an official basically swears unto God to uphold the Constitution, so he or she is swearing an oath "to God," not "to the Constitution," but the oath is to uphold the Constitution.
    Anyway the statement is hearsay at this point, nothing more, and rather vague hearsay at that.
    I am familiar with former Alabama Justice Roy Moore, who I believe was properly removed from office when he failed to obey a court order. He had every right to disagree with the court order, to argue that it was wrong, to seek to overturn it----but he was bound by his oath of office to enforce the order and if he was unwilling to do, he should have resigned IMO.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Worse than Pierce Butler? Noah Swayne? John Catron? John Campbell? James M. Wayne?

How many opinions of Justice Thomas have you read?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    1. What is your IQ?
    2. What is Justice Thomas's IQ?

Turn Off Ads?