Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

The Politics of United States Foreign Policy, 4th ed.

(It's for class...)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    The Pearl, in particular, is probably one of the greatest reasons I didn't like literature as a teenager. I thought "If this is supposed to be great, then I must be stupid, because I don't get it."
    God, we had to read the Pearl too. I totally forgot it existed until now. What is wrong with these teachers?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm reading

"You're missing a Great Game" by Whitey Herzog.
    Great book. I've actually read it a couple of times myself.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    God, we had to read the Pearl too. I totally forgot it existed until now. What is wrong with these teachers?
    Count me in for having to read "The Pearl" in school. Vaguely remember it. I'm not even sure if I finished it.

Did anyone else have to read "The Good Earth," or as we called it, "Everybody Wang Lung Tonight?"
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Prayers for the Assassin. I like alternative history books, mysteries, and baseball books. This is kind of an alternative history. It's set in 2042 (so I guess it's alternative future), and about 1/2 of the U.S. has become an Islamic Republic. Interesting read. Just finished "if I ever get back", where a guy travels back in time and travels around with the 1869 Reds.

I'm reading "Great Day in Cooperstown" which details the startup of the Hall of Fame, centered around the inaugural induction ceremony with Ruth, Mack, Wagner, Big Train, etc.

Has anyone read this one? It's infuriating! I can't remember when I've been so disappointed in a baseball book I was so looking forward to. The main reason is that it's loaded with typos and grammar errors. Maybe that's not a big deal to some people but it drives me insane. I almost lost it when I saw "was became" in the middle of a sentence. It's like no editor ever laid eyes on this thing.

Oh, and at one point, he had Christy Mathewson speaking at the ceremony. Neat trick considering Mathewson had died 14 years earlier.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    This is kind of an alternative history. It's set in 2042 (so I guess it's alternative future)
    As opposed to actual future?
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Zoinks!

The Beatles by Bob Spitz. Pretty good read so far.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Catch-22.
    I'm finding there are many things I didn't understand when I was a teenager. It's a much better read now that I've experienced some of the things referred to within the work.
    I had the opposite experience with Jack London...Call Of The Wild and White Fang were much more fulfilling when I was younger.

PS - I also highly recommend Confederacy of Dunces.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

I just finished "How Evan broke his head and other secrets" by Garth Stein.

I liked it a lot. (I read it in 3 days)

http://www.garthstein.com/evan/index.php
    School's out. What did you expect?

Frank Mildmay, or, The naval officer (Marryat)
    Black Tower (PD James)
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Just finished re-reading "Last Exit to Brooklyn" and "The Demon" by Hubert Selby Jr.

Some of the darkest, most well-written fiction of the 20th century, IMO.

"The Demon," especially, is something to behold.

On "The Demon"-
    A major American author of a stature with William Burroughs and Joseph Heller. - Los Angeles Times

Harry White is a man haunted by a satyr's lust and an obsessive need for sin and retribution. The more Harry succeeds - a good marriage, a good corporate job - the more desperate he becomes, as a life of petty crime leads to fraud and murder and, eventually, to apocalyptic violence.

Author of the controversial cult classic, Last Exit to Brooklyn, Hubert Selby began as a writer of short fiction. He plunges the reader head-first into the densely realized worlds of his protagonists, in which the details of daily life rub shoulders with obsession and madness. Although fundamentally concerned with morality, Selby's own sense of humility prevents him from preaching. He offers instead a passionate empathy with the ordinary dreams and aspirations of his characters, a brilliant ear for the urban vernacular and for the voices of conscience and self-deceit that torment his characters.
    "Selby's place is in the front rank of American novelists ... to understand his work is to understand the anguish of America." - The New York Times Book Review
    http://www.amazon.com/Demon-Hubert-S...4510196&sr=8-1

Wikipedia on Hubert Selby Jr.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Selby_Jr.
    Last edited by WMR; 03-21-2007 at 05:25 PM.

As the product of the Hamilton School System and a victim of the 1980 strike in which we did nothing for the months of October and November, it is amazing I can even read. But I digress,

I've been reading Stephen Hunter's books (thrillers--but unlike Tom Clancy, Hunter is an excellent writer) and the Dortmunder books by Donald Westlake (comedic mysteries). I just finished the Kite Runner which was very good and mentioned earlier in the thread.

I'm big on lists and I am working my way through the Pulitzer Prize winning Novels. I'm into the 1920's, and so far all that I've read have been good. Before I started the Pulitzer list, I went through the top 100 English language novels of the 20th century. I was able to read about 90% of them, I couldn't get through about 10 of them.
    Where we gonna go?

GO GO SOX!!! (and Reds)

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

RedsZone
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Turn Off Ads?