Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    PHP and MySQL a Visual Quickstart.

i'm such a geek.
    dude, i read that. good stuff. really.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    dude, i read that. good stuff. really.
    Seems good so far. I'm implementing a php based CMS at the school i work for, and I've been hacking it like crazy.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF
    Seems good so far. I'm implementing a php based CMS at the school i work for, and I've been hacking it like crazy.
    nice. I've been a 4GL programmer for the last 10+ years and never really delved into scripted languages. I think PHP has a real elegance to it.

Take a look at phpwebsite. Developed by Appalachian State. They have done som good work, but what the opensource community has added to it is what makes it great. It's nearly on a par with major pay CMS products.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

oh yeah. I almost forgot. I am reading this book all ninja like at the borders near where I work:

"A Salty Piece of Land" by Jimmy Buffett. Believe it not, it's pretty good (IMHO).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    oh yeah. I almost forgot. I am reading this book all ninja like at the borders near where I work:
    Edited: Name of the book is "Sex, Drugs & Cocoa Puffs." I thought the picture would copy when I quoted the post, but no luck.

I loved that book. I've read a few times now, and I just got my girlfriend to read it while we were on vacation last week. She laughed out loud every few minutes for awhile.

It's a book of essays, basically on the culture of Gen Xers. I believe he calls is a "low culture manifesto." Essays include: Why all Gen X women have a crush on John Cusack; also essays on Saved by the Bell, The Real World, The alleged Soccer Phenomenon, etc., etc.
    Last edited by Crash Davis; 03-22-2005 at 01:00 PM.

White Castle to the Nile Crash Davis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    Reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.

It's the one of the citywide books for the Cincinnati library book club. We're reading it for our neighborhood book club.
    I really liked this book, but I couldn't get my girlfriend to read it.

It's a good read, but I also liked it for the history and insight on Afghan culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis

It's a good read, but I also liked it for the history and insight on Afghan culture.
    It's sitting next to our bed, my wifes friend gave it to her.... she's not interested in it at all... doesn't want to dealve into the treatment of women in the ME... but then she rants at Jane Austin charactors too.

the treatment of women in the Middle East is a tough topic to broach. I had a Syrian teacher that tried to explain some of the ways of their culture to us, but it is tough to understand. And Syria is fairly liberal in its treatment of women compared to some other Muslim cultures.
    Last edited by ochre; 03-22-2005 at 01:17 PM.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Been a while since this has been bumped.

A friend recommended the Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown.

I was skeptical, but I wasn't disappointed. It's a great piece of fiction. Brown plays a little too fast and loose with factual history in some spots that somewhat ruined it for me, but it's a good piece of fiction writing, that's for sure. I would recommend it, I plowed thru it fairly quickly.

Just bought a book called "The Disney Wars" about the turmoil going on in the last couple of years at Disney. Usually I don't read Business books like this one but it seems interesting so I'm willing to give it a whirl.

I also got in the mail my copy of the Baseball America Prospect Handbook, which is a must for any minor league baseball junkie like myself. Much more info than what's listed on the website about every team's top 30 prospects. The System wide Depth Chart is a great touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Davis

I missed this when posted. I agree about the Afghan culture aspect of it. The class structure trumps all other flesh and blood ties.

I wouldn't think women would have a problem with this book. My wife liked it. There were few women in the book and they mostly play a secondary role.

Reading Lolita in Tehran would be a good companion book for this book.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Curently I'm enjoying John XXIII by Thomas Cahill; all of his books are excellent works of popular history with some degree of scholarly merit. I'm also reading The Head Game by Roger Kahn.

Turn Off Ads?