Turn Off Ads?
Page 21 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: What are you reading now?

I'll pass this along to my fellow bibliophiles here at Redszone.

I've been hooked on a reading site the last few months called LibraryThing.com

http://www.librarything.com/

It's basically an online cataloging system for any and all books you've read, borrowed, bought, sold, stole, etc etc

It's free - and I have enjoyed it. I've found myself trying to dig up and find all the books I've read over the years to help add to my catalog. I'm up to over 350 books now.

Here's my profile

http://www.librarything.com/profile/jmcclain19

Click on "See Catalog" if you want to see all my books.

Best part is - there are thousands of other members, and you can see who has the same books you do - and that's an opening to finding all sorts of unknown authors. I've found about a half dozen more authors that I truly enjoy and i'm sure I'll find more in the coming months.

I would recommend - and anyone who signs up let me know, I'd like to add you to my "friends" list on there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This is kind of fun. I've been meaning to catalogue my books, so this is helpful. As I was looking through the old books on my shelf, I came across one I had picked up at a used book sale. There was a page with the lyrics to St James Infirmary typed out on a faded piece of typing paper.

Kind of fun to think about the former owner of used books.

BTW, it's kind of cool to check out the people who are the ONLY other people to have a particular book on their list.

There's someone on there who has over 1200 baseball books.
    Last edited by SandyD; 07-21-2007 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Right now I'm reading Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh.

I probably won't get to the newest Harry Potter book until the rest of my family reads it first.
    Waugh's excellent. I'd recommend The Bell by Iris Murdoch for another good mid-century British novel.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post

It's basically an online cataloging system for any and all books you've read, borrowed, bought, sold, stole, etc etc

It's free - and I have enjoyed it. I've found myself trying to dig up and find all the books I've read over the years to help add to my catalog. I'm up to over 350 books now.

Here's my profile

Best part is - there are thousands of other members, and you can see who has the same books you do - and that's an opening to finding all sorts of unknown authors. I've found about a half dozen more authors that I truly enjoy and i'm sure I'll find more in the coming months.

I would recommend - and anyone who signs up let me know, I'd like to add you to my "friends" list on there.
    That looks really cool. I'll probably sign up for it, though I don't know when I'll get the chance to start listing all my books on it.

Thanks for the heads up (I'll let you know my user name once I'm on)

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post

Here's my profile

http://www.librarything.com/catalog.php?view=daburkey06 I have a small collection of books on my bookshelf, so I figured I'd add them there. Nice site, I'll have to go back and try to think of all the ones I've read and don't just have lying around.

I read quite a bit and last week picked up the first Harry Potter book. If there are any 24 fans out there I would highly recomend two authors. One is Vince Flynn who has gained some fame lately. He has a character named Mitch Rapp who is very similar to Jack Bauer. The second is Brad Thor who has a character named Scot Horvath who is similar to Bauer. Both authors wright books that move very quickly and lots of bad people are disposed of.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Both authors wright books that move very quickly and lots of bad people are disposed of.
    Fabulous! The two qualities I look for most in a novel!
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

I really enjoy Flynn & Thor.

They both have a completely different writing style as well in the same style of story - espionage/terrorism thriller - which is nice. Flynn is definitely more into character development - you really get into Rapp and his nemisis and what their motivations are and their internal fights. Thor is more all about painting the scene of these amazing locations and what is happening in them. Harvath goes to all these wild places all over the globe - and Thor - who has been to all of them, just puts you there. Whether it's Switzerland or Capri, Italy or Macau - a thriller with a travel twist.

Anyway - I would also recommend both as highly entertaining novelists.

Daniel Silva & Christopher Reich is also in their same league. Silva's main character is an Israeli Assassin - And most of his plots seems to focus on the Middle East. Reich doesn't have a recurring character but rather each novel stands on it's own. Reich is a former Swiss banker so all of his plots are heavily slanted toward the financial thriller aspect. His first book - Numbered Account - is excellent and different than any other terror thriller that I've ever read.

Hygiene Beyond Reproach ThatPitchIsDunn's Avatar

If anyone loves a good keep-you-on-your-toes mystery that has at least one huge twist towards the end, I'd highly recommend Jeffrey Deaver. Only one of his books, The Bone Collector, was made into a movie, but the two main characters - Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs - are in several more murder mysteries by Deaver. The two make up a forensics team, so a bit of the detail can be stomach-turning. It makes for page-turning as well however.

I love all his works, but The Vanished Man and Blue Nowhere get you off to a good start. Heck, Bone Collector's a great read even if you've seen it, as the movie ended completely differently than the book.
    No one expects the butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by ThatPitchIsDunn View Post
    If anyone loves a good keep-you-on-your-toes mystery that has at least one huge twist towards the end, I'd highly recommend Jeffrey Deaver. Only one of his books, The Bone Collector, was made into a movie, but the two main characters - Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs - are in several more murder mysteries by Deaver. The two make up a forensics team, so a bit of the detail can be stomach-turning. It makes for page-turning as well however.

I love all his works, but The Vanished Man and Blue Nowhere get you off to a good start. Heck, Bone Collector's a great read even if you've seen it, as the movie ended completely differently than the book.
    on Jeffery Deaver.

Reading The Twelfth Card now.

Seeing that steam pipe accident in NYC reminded me of the Bone Collector.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I'm currently reading God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything by Christopher Hitchens. Probably would be a great Peanut Gallery conversation starter.

Here's my catalog so far at librarything. I'll add some more in the next few days, especially over the weekend.

I really like what I see of this site. Thanks again for posting it (and a bunch of phony rep points to you as well )

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Here's my catalog so far at librarything. I'll add some more in the next few days, especially over the weekend.

I really like what I see of this site. Thanks again for posting it (and a bunch of phony rep points to you as well )
    We have two of the same books. And if you liked Lincoln by Donald & Sherman you should definitely pick up Jean Edward Smith's Grant.

Good find on the LibraryThing.com site.

This is my catalog so far. Haven't gotten around to reviewing anything yet, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie View Post
    Good find on the LibraryThing.com site.

This is my catalog so far. Haven't gotten around to reviewing anything yet, though.
    It is pretty cool. I'd like to do it sometime but it's a daunting task as I have several hundred books in stock and have read countless more.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?