Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

La Dolce Vita

Re: What are you reading now?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker
    My wife read it for her other <a href="book%20club" onmouseover="window.status='book club'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">book club</a> and said "you would really like this book, read it". I'm not sure if that was a good thing or not.

I take it you and your wife don't always agree where books are concerned, eh, Roy?
    teach tolerance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm almost finished with "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets". I held off reading those books for so long, but now I'm enjoying them.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19
    How did you like it? I've been looking at that book for years on the shelf, always thinking about getting it but never making the final purchase.
    I really liked it. A little textbook-like at times, but the theories and explanations in the book make a whole lot of sense, and were mostly new to me.

Makes me want to read his new book, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop
    I take it you and your wife don't always agree where books are concerned, eh, Roy?
    My wife and I are the classic opposites-attract couple. I'm a wild man from way back when who hasn't met anything he won't try once. She is a nice Catholic girl. I was looking to settle down. She took a walk on the wild side. Somehow we hooked up. It's been an interesting 20 years.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Travel guides (see location to the left)- both Rick Steves, everyone's favorite Ameridork (although I might end up looking like him when I'm older, so I should shut up) as well as Let's Go Europe.

Anyone ever tackled this book?

This is really good. I wish more American businesspeople and government officials were paying attention.

La Dolce Vita

My wife and I are the classic opposites-attract couple. I'm a wild man from way back when who hasn't met anything he won't try once. She is a nice Catholic girl. I was looking to settle down. She took a walk on the wild side. Somehow we hooked up. It's been an interesting 20 years.

Sounds familiar. If you look in the dictionary under 'impulsive' there is a picture of my husband. On the other hand, I must analyze a thing to death before possibly deciding change might be worthwhile. Wait until it's 35 years.
    teach tolerance.

Roy and Sweetstop, there's a book "Managing Ignatius" which is real-life stories of "Lucky Dog" vendors written by a guy who actually managed them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop
    I've read A Confederacy Of Dunces several times over the years. Good book.
    I think I'm going to give it a whirl. I've been looking for an additional item to buy from Ebay to qualify for free shipping. This sounds up my alley.

Also read "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson. If you want to know about, well, *everything*, read this book.
    Did you like it? I really enjoyed his "A Walk in the Woods".

I'm reading The Longest Winter by Alex Kershaw. It's about a group of about 18 men that were captured during The Battle of The Bulge. It's a good read if you are interested in WWII and the harships our troops faced in Europe. My dad was caught up in The Battle of The Bulge so that is why I am particulary interested.
    Kershaw also wrote The Bedford Boys. Has anyone read that one? It sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed
    Flyboys, by James Bradley
    I read that book when I was visiting my mom over X-mas (A friend of her's loaned it to her). It gives a really good history of Japan and their ways of thinking.

As for me, I'm currently reading:

Thomas Jefferson An Intimate History by Fawn Brodie
    Huey Long by T. Harry Williams
    The Powers That Be by David Halberstam
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey
    Did you like it? I really enjoyed his "A Walk in the Woods".
    I enjoyed it, in a geeky science-for-the-masses way. If you like Brian Greene string theory books, you'll like this. I think it would be great for HS kids. It's not like his other books.

Chip, I liked "Flyboys" too. I read where some thought his whole history of the cultures of the two opposing countries that led to the racial attitudes was too stereotypical, but I think it was thought-provoking. Read Halberstam's book some years back and thought it was good. When was that originally published? It's been out a while I think.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Chip, I liked "Flyboys" too. I read where some thought his whole history of the cultures of the two opposing countries that led to the racial attitudes was too stereotypical, but I think it was thought-provoking. Read Halberstam's book some years back and thought it was good. When was that originally published? It's been out a while I think.
    Yeah, I thought it was going to be more about the guys on the island but I enjoyed the history lesson about Japan and the USAF.

TPTB was published in 1979. It's about the 3rd or 4th time I've read it.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo
    Reading "Don't Think of an Elephant" by George Lakoff (can't get off of politics these days). Lakoff is a Berkeley linguist who's analyzed the way conservatives and progressives frame debates (cut to the short - the Republicans won).

The crux is that most conservative operate under a "strict father" frame and most liberal/progressives under a "nurturant parent" frame.

Fascinating stuff and a quick read. Highly recommended.
    Don't Think of an Elephant is definitely on my "to read" list. A former professor of mine highly praises this guy's work. Glad you enjoyed--it will only hasten my resolve to grab a copy.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Just picked up The Numbers Game by Alan Schwartz, Baseball America columnist.

After Moneyball, this makes my second baseball book I've taken the time to read and I've not been disappointed. Some crazy colorful characters and lots of old time baseball history. Amazing how some of the stat nomenclature got its start over 100 years ago yet you'd think it's a recent revelation.

Turn Off Ads?