Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 69 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

I just finished "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell this past weekend.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Renaissance poetry for a class project. Currently, early John Donne. Metaphysical stuff.

House of Meetings by Martin Amis. Ambitious topic, ambitious writing, and yet...less than the sum of its parts. Worth reading as Amis can record the bitterness and betrayals of jealous, competitive men in such clear and vivid prose that sets him apart from current writers. However, I still wait for him to reach the level of work he attained in "The Information".

I just re-read Treasure Island over the last couple of days. Man, it's such a great book. Why I had to read the Pearl in 7th grade and not Treasure Island is a mystery to me.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I just re-read Treasure Island over the last couple of days. Man, it's such a great book. Why I had to read the Pearl in 7th grade and not Treasure Island is a mystery to me.
    I agree. Stevenson's a great writer. Jekyll and Hyde is a marvelous book, despite its pigeonholing as kitschy sci-fi.

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    Because the teachers grew up in the era of post modern literature is the likely answer.

We always had to choose 1 of 3.

Example freshman year

First Blood
    Red Sky in the Morning
    The Pearl

I read em all anyway.

Me?

I'm reading

"You're missing a Great Game" by Whitey Herzog.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Because the teachers grew up in the era of post modern literature is the likely answer.

We always had to choose 1 of 3.

Example freshman year

First Blood
    Red Sky in the Morning
    The Pearl

I read em all anyway.

Me?

I'm reading

"You're missing a Great Game" by Whitey Herzog.
    The Pearl, in particular, is probably one of the greatest reasons I didn't like literature as a teenager. I thought "If this is supposed to be great, then I must be stupid, because I don't get it."

Of course, it turns out that there is a lot of other great literature...and that I am just as stupid as I thought I was in the first place. Only now, I just know how to find good stuff to read that suits me.

The idea of choosing is great- your teacher was smart or mine was lazy.

The idea of choosing is great- your teacher was smart or mine was lazy.
    Mariemont in the 70's had a very progressive program, lots of great teachers who would hone in on your interests if you didn't buy into what they threw up there for the masses.

Of course they all went on strike when the parents wanted to control the curriculum tighter and got fired, but I had already left.

Man Pills

Of course they all went on strike when the parents wanted to control the curriculum tighter and got fired, but I had already left.
    "You're the trained one, but WE know better."

Why I no longer teach high school, right there: parents.

No offense, guys. (Well, maybe a little).

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    "You're the trained one, but WE know better."

No offense, guys. (Well, maybe a little).
    My wife and pedro were both still in school at the time, my parents yanked Pedro out and sent him to private school, My wife said that the rest of the year and part of the next she doesn't recall learning a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

Also the reason I am secretly hoping my son decides he doesn't like basketball.

My wife and pedro were both still in school at the time, my parents yanked Pedro out and sent him to private school, My wife said that the rest of the year and part of the next she doesn't recall learning a thing.
    The actual quote from the sub which I told my Mom & Dad about (though I don't remember it was probably a weak attempt to explain why I didn't have any homework)

"I don't care what you kids do but keep your books open and be quiet in case the principal comes by"

I was at Cincinnati Country Day within a week.

Later, when I was in High School in California our teachers did a series of "one day strikes". I think they did it six separate days. When we'd get to school, the administration would make us all sit in the gym all day. After the first time that happened we'd just bail if we saw the teachers picketing. It was actually a lot of fun.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

La Dolce Vita

Our answer for poor public school's available to our children was a good Montessori school. A board of committed parents; strong administrator and dedicated teachers. It was one of the best things we ever did for our children.
    teach tolerance.

Now reading "The money men"

Just finished "How Soccer Explains the World."
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

I just finished "You Suck" by Christopher Moore. I liked it.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?