Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 69 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920212767 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Getting ready to start Baseball Between The Numbers....sure someone on here has read it. Whats everyone think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Getting ready to start Baseball Between The Numbers....sure someone on here has read it. Whats everyone think?
    I've browsed through my copy, at times I find it too dry. It's also a rehash of many of the things BP has espoused for years, so if you're a regular reader of the site you'll find some repeating.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    I just cracked open Over the Edge of the World by Laurence Bergreen about Magellan & his trip around the globe. Been eyeballing it at the Bookstore for a while now - when it hit the sale rack this week I picked it up.
    Spoiler----

The little manifest destiny feller gets it before he gets home.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I've browsed through my copy, at times I find it too dry. It's also a rehash of many of the things BP has espoused for years, so if you're a regular reader of the site you'll find some repeating.
    Thanks WOY. No I'm not a reader of the site so hopefully its all new to me. It was marked down to 5$ at our campus bookstore so I figured it was worth a shot.

Thanks WOY. No I'm not a reader of the site so hopefully its all new to me. It was marked down to 5$ at our campus bookstore so I figured it was worth a shot.
    It's a good book, it will probably be a good reference book for debates about the game.

Ron Chernow's biography of Alexander Hamilton

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I agree about WOY's comment about it being a little dry - the best part is you don't have read it as a serial story - just read the introduction & first chapter, then from then on, pick a chapter that sounds interesting and skip around. The Ricky Henderson/Pete Incavilia story was a good read, as was the Billy Beane Post season chapter. The Mario Mendoza story is as well.

I've only been a BP reader for about 15 months or so - and I found it a great introduction to baseball statistical analysis.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Spoiler----

The little manifest destiny feller gets it before he gets home.
    You totally ruined it for me :

"The Hardcore Diaries" by Mick Foley
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Just started "The Big Oyster" tonight.
    School's out. What did you expect?

With Jackie Robinson Day upcoming I decided to re-read "The Boys of Summer," by Roger Kahn. Finished it last night. I enjoyed it even more the second time.

Supreme Jar Opener

The instruction manual to my new camera... it's as thick as War and Peace... well, not really... but close!

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Instuctions...we don' need no stinkin' instructions...
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano. This was just recently translated into English and reads like a novel that Borges would've written.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    "The Hardcore Diaries" by Mick Foley
    I just finished "Tangeled Ropes", the autobiography of Superstar Billy Graham. A great book and highly recommended. His stories of starting out with DR. Jerry Graham or his training up in Calgaery, Alberta, Canada with Stu Hartt are hilarious.

Turn Off Ads?